NC- Medoc Mountain State Park, Halifax County - REVIEW Nov. 2010

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by nuthouseinva, Nov 14, 2010.

1. nuthouseinva

nuthouseinva Portsmouth, Virginia

Medoc Mountain State Park, Halifax County, NC
    November 12 – 14, 2010

Getting there:
    An easy drive down Route 58 West from Hampton Roads and then south on I-95 for about 30 minutes. Straight shot off of interstate towards the park for about 20 minutes. Signs posted about one mile before the park. Park entrance is easy to find with a large sign. Ranger station is just down from the entrance and also easy to locate. Ranger station was large with bathrooms, educational displays and office. Drive time from Portsmouth, VA was approximately2.5 hours.

Park:
    The park is fairly simple and state park grade. Across from the campground entrance is a picnic area with a large grass field big enough for a several baseball games. Nearby is a large pavilion with bathrooms, picnic tables, large cooking grill, and an awesome wood burning fireplace. A lot of the hiking trails start near the pavilion. Most trails were easy to moderate and no longer than 3 miles each. Few to no scenic views on the trails but still nice views of the creeks and small bridges. Canoeing is listed as an activity at the park but from the look of the creek it would be a tough float due to shallow areas and trees obstructing the whole creek in some places. Other features include: dump station, equestrian area, and separate group camping area.

Campground/sites:
    Campground is one large loop with large bathhouse in the middle. 34 total sites, 12 having 50/30/20amp electric service. Potable water wells are located close to all sites. Most sites, with exception of two concrete accessible sites, were fairly level packed gravel parking pad with softer gravel tent pads. All appeared to have a picnic table, fire ring, and lantern post. There are several pull through sites available. Sites were well spaced and most had good privacy with trees between sites. Some sites where two level with the picnic table area being higher or lower with a small set of steps connecting each section. The bathhouse was modern, fairly clean and somewhat heated. About 4-5 showers were located in each mens/womens side. Showers were decent size with private changing area in each. Bathrooms lacked hand soap dispensers and stalls had three-sheet locks on the toilet paper dispensers. Firewood was available for sale at the ranger station. Downed trees and limbs were fairly easy to locate away from the campsites. The fire rings were set in steady concrete and brick pads. They worked really well. When we arrived all of the fire rings had been swept clean. One of many extra efforts of the park staff I noticed.

Nuthouseinva Rates It!
    (1-Poor 3-Average 5-Excellent)
    Quietness/Peace: 5
    Views/Scenery: 3
    Features/Activities: 3
    Campsites: 5
    Bathhouse: 4

Overall, we really liked this place. It is small and there’s not a whole lot to do but it’s quiet and private. On Saturday night, several local astronomy enthusiasts had their high quality telescopes set up in the field. They were very interested in sharing their knowledge and let us look through the telescopes. We will return to this park and recommend it to other campers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics in our album on webshots
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/579021369MdrVRs

Medoc Mountain State Park website
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/memo/main.php

2. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Sounds like a nice place!!!!! Will have to tell tim rhonda and judy and diane about this place maybe for New Years since its not on a lake!!!!!!!!!

3. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Ssshhh. This is our hidden treasure. It's less than 20 miles from our house.
    Nice honest write up, Brian.

4. MikesRaleigh

MikesRaleigh Member

We just camped here this weekend (Memorial Day- 2013) for 3 nights. I had never heard of it before I found some reviews on this site. I must say, we thought it was awesome! Very peaceful campground, clean grounds and bath house, lots of great hiking trails and and nice pretty river running thru it. Great open field for playing, kite flying or stargazing. Since there isn't much around in terms of town/city lights, the stars and moon looked amazing! The only negative we had were the ticks... they were out in full force, but other than that we loved it! Since its only an hour from my house we will be returning soon!

5. Steve A

Mike, when I lived in NC (Halifax County), I was at Medoc a lot. I never once encountered a tick. How odd is that?

6. MikesRaleigh

MikesRaleigh Member

That is odd..since after one 3 mile hike between the 5 of us and the dog I think we pulled off about 75 ticks! It got better the next day when we actually went out prepared and sprayed ourselves and clothes before the hike.....like we should have done on day 1!

7. Steve A

Has it been a very wet spring? That might account for it.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Reservations made for Labor Day weekend. Site #6

9. Heritage

Heritage New Member

The ticks are insane at Medoc late spring-summer.

10. speckhunter80

11. Steve A

Again, I spent more time at Medoc than I can remember since it was less than 16 miles from door to door. I used to hike there practically every weekend if it wasn't raining or snowing. I never once saw or got a tick while hiking, walking along the water or camping. And I both tent camped and used a pop up.

Medoc was my "home base" from 98-2000 and 2003-2010 when I lived in NC.

12. Calman

Calman Member

Nice campground and walking trails. Very quiet when I stayed. Have to remember to get gas, ice, supplies when getting near the campground. AND, the bathhouse was very, very clean.

13. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

We just spent 3 days for Thanksgiving here and loved it. Stayed at site 32 and the park was nice and quiet and very well maintained. Bathrooms were some of the best kept that we have stayed at. We loved the hiking trails and did 5 miles of hiking while we were there. We are already planning another weekend trip and can't wait to go back out on the trails and enjoy some quality family time.

14. speckhunter80

Glad you had a good weekend. Janet and I went there last year. If you did not get there, next time you go you need to visit Historic Halifax and Sylvan Heights Bird Sanctuary