NC Zoo Easter Weekend

Blkvoodoo

Aug 21, 2011
We are booked at Trails End Family Campground , just outside the Zoo grounds . http://www.trailsendcampground.net/

Never been to this campground, and haven't been to the Zoo since my DD ( now 8 yo ) was born. She has been with school and other groups, this is our first time as a family.

Hope the weather holds out !!

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
NC
My parents live only 9 miles from the zoo, so we've been a couple of times. Their 6 grand kids, however, have been many times! It is an enjoyable place.

Blkvoodoo

Aug 21, 2011
We JUST got home.

The Zoo was ...well....A ZOO ! We stood in line for over an hour and a half to get in the gate, place was wall to wall people !! The animals had a good chance to see humans at their finest !!

One of the Zoo employees was hawking "family" passes ( @$75 per ) and you'd get right in, no waiting in line. I'll keep that in mind for next time, that wasn't in the budget for this trip ( $20 for just the DD and I ) The gal also said there had been over 12,000 ( yes that's THOUSAND ) people thru the gates since they had opened ( it was right at 1pm when we got in )

I don't know if this is a normal thing or just a sudden on rush of folks taking advantage of a nice weekend, but it surely could have been handled better.

Daughter and I had fun, some of the animals decided they had seen enough people and hid in their favorite places, others just looked on bored with the show. The Zoo staff had given most all the animals easter eggs with treats in them, that was pretty entertaining.

The camp ground we stayed in was ok, old, kinda run down," rustic" was how it was described when we called to make reservations. ( $25 a night) and seemed to be a place where old campers go to umm..... not be used.

The upper front part of the CG was mostly 5'ers and one or 2 Class C's, then it graduated back too much older TT's that had been stationary long enough to build decking and some had full on room additions.

WE were the only pop-up in the place. there were some tent campers further back.

I was a little leary when we got there, as the person running the show said they had never seen a pop-up with a slide out...... ( really ?) there was mock interest, and then we were left alone.

quiet place, bath house was clean, but very dated, I imagine 15-20 years ago the place was pretty nice.

power and water on site, bath house was a pretty decent hill climb to get too from our site and a hike for the tent campers.

on the plus side, it was only 1.2 miles from the Africa Entrance of the Zoo.

Oddly enough, DW and DD went to bath house this AM, and I had going into the camper to change clothes, the Easter Bunny dropped by and left eggs all over the place, so much for having the dog with us, he never let out so much as a whimper !! And he LOVES chasing rabbits !!