ND-Buffalo Gap

Discussion in 'North Dakota' started by EK41, Aug 30, 2012.

1. EK41

EK41 Member

Last week I stayed at Buffalo Gap campground, which is right off of I94 at exit 18. This is a forest service CG in the Little Missouri Grasslands. There are two loops separated by a ridge which prevents visibility between the two. Each loop has a mix of large sites with cotton woods providing shade to fully out in the open. Just speaking of the CG, it is far and away the nicest FS CG I have ever been to. It has paved roads and sites, with flush toilets and pay showers. There are hiking trails from the CG into the Grasslands. The size of some of the sites are amazingly large and private.
    The one down side to this place is that it is very close to the interstate, however this is ND, and it is not a very busy road.
    I stayed here while visiting Theodore Roosevelt NP. Since I had a dog with me, I didn't want to stay in the park. The park entrance is at exit 24, so it is close. To compare this CG to the one in the park, it has larger more private sites. When I drove the loop in the NP, I drove through the campground. The place was filled with buffalo. Since it was fairly early in the morning, many people were packing up camp while buffalo were grazing within the site. If you do stay in the park, I would recommend the pull through loop, the sites are larger, have more trees so they have more privacy. Hook ups are not available at either CG.

2. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say I've stayed at Buffalo Gap several times, and it's peaceful and easy to get in and out. A quick run up the highway, and you're at one of my favorite National Parks, Teddy Roosevelt. Showers are hot, and only 50 cents!