ND Camping!

Discussion in 'North Dakota' started by Jaci, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jaci

Jaci Sadly Pupless :(

I'm in Moorhead, MN which is just across the river from Fargo, ND. We are looking to get our boys into camping and want to stay relatively close to home. I know there must be some NDers around here who can offer tips!

2. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

I really don't know much about private campgrounds..just state parks in the area.

It depends on how close you want to be to the Moorhead area. I will list a few that are within 2 hours of the FM area. There is always Buffalo River State Park. Probably the closest you will find. Not a whole lot to do there but if you have really small children it is a great park with a nice swimming hole and a good introduction to camping.

Itaska State Park is about a 2 hour drive for you. Famous for the Mississippi Headwaters...kids love the Headwaters. Miles and miles of bike paths and trails. The sites are a bit close unless you can get into Bear Paw campground.

We also like to stay at Maplewood State Park. We haven't stayed there in our pup so I am not sure if you can fit your pup in the tent sites..possibly. (Love the tent sites) The RV sites are not private at all. Not much for trees. So it just depends on what you looking for. Someone has posted a while back that they had issues with racoons. That has never been the case for us but you might want to check with the rangers to see if they are a problem this year. But, we really like the trails they have there. It is a very pretty park.

My son and wife like to stay at Glendalough State Park. It is probably about 1 1/2 hours away. I haven't camped there but it is one of their favorite parks. My DIL grew up camping at Glendalough. I believe it is a little less developed and less populated with campers...but don't quote me.

There are so many wonderful parks in MN if you are willing to travel a little bit of distance. You might also want to consider parks in the Brainerd or Bemidji area.

If you want to go to the ND side there is Fort Ransom State Park about 2 hours away. I haven't stayed there but have been in the area. I'm also thinking there might be some private camping near Valley City but not entirely sure. ND is somewhat lacking in State Parks unless you want to take a trip out west to Theodore Roosevelt SP in the Badlands..which would be an awsome trip if you ever want to get out that way..kids love Medora ND.

Hopefully someone else is able to pitch in on camping in the area.

3. Jaci

Jaci Sadly Pupless :(

That's kind of the dig, isn't it? I've been to all of the MN parks you've mentioned except Glendalough! I will have to research and peruse and see what I can post up.

4. waldo_2001

waldo_2001 Member

Heading over to American Legion campground in Detroit Lakes for labor day in our new pup. I hear it is a really nice family campground.

James

5. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

I know I am 6 months out of date but Icelandic State Park about 2.5hrs from Fargo is a really nice camp ground and they have a great kids weekend the second weekend of August every year.