Need a good family campground near Disney

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by peppster66, Oct 15, 2011.

1. peppster66

peppster66 New Member

Hi , we are heading to florida over the Christmas holidays, and Disneys Fort Wilderness is obviously booked up, so I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for a good family campground near disney, that we could still make it work , please let me know when you get a chance,,, thank you,,,,Josef,,,

2. FC

FC Central Florida

Lake Louisa is a state park not far from Disney. Not sure what you are looking for. There are alot of commercial type campgrounds in Kissimmee. When I say commercial I mean like KOA, & Encore types. Hope this helps.

3. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

Take a look at Florida State Parks. They are great places to stay, but maybe a bit far from Disney to suit your needs. Anyway, just a suggestion, make reservations as soon as possible. Snowbirds are here and things begin to fill up fast. Might want to look at Passport America and see if they have any deals and if the restrictions fit your needs. We live about 1 1/2 hours away and have reservations at Gamble Rogers State park, Christmas week. One of our favorite places to stay. Tomoka State Park, just outside of Daytona is another one. About an hour drive to Disney. Best of luck, John

4. jdplus3

jdplus3 Member

Check out Tropical palms resort, it is pretty close to Disney. They have a nice heated pool and activities for kids. It is also a short walk to Old Town,which is A small amusement park and shops. I think tropcal palms also runs a shuttle to disney

5. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Also, keep calling Fort Wilderness. People cancel sometimes and a site may open up.

6. smosieur

smosieur New Member

Also try booking thru aaa.

We are gonna camp in a couple of wks at turkey lake park. It is an Orlando city park. A couple of miles off turnpike. Prolly 10-15 mins from Disney. You'll pay a lot less too! They have boats to rent, disc golf, petting zoo and hiking trails and other activities. It looks pretty nice!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.233805,-82.255252

7. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

I have heard good things about Turkey Lake. My son is tenting there next month. $7 a nite per tent. Not bad.

8. Cindy F

Cindy F New Member

Peppster, when are you wanting to go to Fort Wilderness? We're pretty certain that we've narrowed our dates enough so we can cancel the days we don't need-December 19th-24th

If you want any of those days, I'll be glad to coordinate when I call and cancel with you- so you can pick up the released days. It's a partial hook up in one of the tent loops (either 2000 or 1500 loop-1500 is the best)

Having said that, if you keep calling, you very well may get a spot, especially in the 5 days immediately prior to your arrival date. If you're trying to book online, try expanding your dates, reserve, then call back and cancel the days you don't need. I know that sounds like a pain in the butt --but if you want the days sometimes you have to play the Disney game. Also try changing the type site you want to reserve.

We really like Turkey Lake and have stayed there many times (Don't let them give you site 13-it's awful) but it is over by Universal so it's a bit of a drive. My dad stayed at Tropical Palms and spoke highly of it. I believe it's $13 for a partial (no sewer) and $18 for full hook ups. It's in a very nice, gated area with lots of shopping close by.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of where you stay, after all, it's Disney at Christmas! [:D]

9. PopUpJohnny

PopUpJohnny New Member

Just yesterday my uncle told me good things about http://tropicalpalmsresortfl.com/

Also someone in the know told me that when someone cancels a Disney reservation, regardless of the time of cancelations, the room (site) comes available the following day at 7 am. The person that told me this said if you call no more than 3 days in a row at 7:01 am you will get your res for sure. let me know if it works.

10. peppster66

peppster66 New Member

Thank you to everyone for your great replies, and thank you Cindy F for the offer of your days, but we cant get there till the 26th, I will try the cancellation route, and if not, one of the Cgs near by,,,thanks again,,,,,,Josef,,,