Need a high-power cordless drill - and why

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by bondebond, Aug 17, 2012.

1. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Hello folks.

I've read quite a number of threads on cordless drills being used for setting up PUPs. In looking to cut down on the sweat factor here in the muggy part of the U.S., I want to use a cordless drill on the tongue jack, stabilizers, roof lifter and the BAL leveler.

I have a Craftsman 19.2 EX with (IIRC) 450 in-lbs. of torque. I figured I would start with the worst offender, the BAL. I chucked up a socket adapter and put in the 7/8" socket to use. Fresh charge on the battery (replaced about a year ago), and it went no where. I switched to the other battery which had just finished up on the charger, same deal. They would obviously crank down, but not up on the BAL.

Further information: I have a single-axle 2006 Fleetwood Sequoia that is about 3,300 pounds when loaded, so this is no lightweight unit. I think this setup would have worked fine on my previous PUP which was about 1,900 pounds loaded. I don't know for sure, as I only recently got the leveler. I know first hand that the most power needed in my set up is the BAL, even with it cleaned and well-lubricated. It works me over pretty good getting the PUP leveled.

So, I am looking for suggestions on what specific cordless drill does anyone know of, through personal use or other indicators, that will be able to handle the load of lifting approximately 1,500 pounds via the BAL.

Thoughts?

Here's what I have. Yes, it's NiMH batteries, so I know moving to LIon would help.
    [​IMG]

2. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

I have the same drill that came in a kit - drill, light and charger + 2 batteries. It is about 10 years old now and I still use it for setting my stabilizers on the TT. When I had the 99 Westlake I used it for raising the roof and setting the stabs. I never tried it on the BAL. I do find that sometimes I have to switch between Hi to Lo to get enough torque too start the stabilizer screw moving or set them snug enough.
    Some of the guys on this board use their drills to operate their tongue jacks. The brand name escapes me at the moment but it is the yellow coloured brand. Search for posts by JDandBeastlet and then check out his pictures.

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Thanks. I've crawled around a bit looking and see folks using Dewalts (yellow) often. Before I go put down the change for one, I want to know that it will be able to power my biggest need, the BAL. I plan on setting it up to run the tongue jack, stabilizers, roof as well as the BAL.

I also ran on the low speed/high torque setting on the drill. This drill has been a workhorse and never backed down from anything I've thrown at it (providing I had a fresh battery on it), until now.

Maybe I should drive up to the vendors around town and say "hey, jack up my camper, and I'll buy it on the spot". Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, so I'm trying to cast the net far and wide first.

4. jhowe327

jhowe327 New Member

Well you are probably looking for 1/2" impact wrench with a lithium battery. I have a friend who autocrosses almost every weekend who uses one to loosen the lug nuts on his car to change to track tires and back who bought one. Not cheap, especially with a lithium batteries, but at over 200 ft/lbs of torque would handle your Bal Leveler. Other than that finding a quality one that hooked up to your car or trailer battery would be a choice. I have a cheapy one that I got as a gift that I would not recommend at all...

5. EV2

EV2 Member

Bosch 36 volt like this:

Bosch

6. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I'll keep cranking for that price [:(]

7. RonB

RonB New Member

Me too but maybe when I get old I'll wimp out and use a drill. I'm only 66 now. On second thought, hell no I won't.

When I see these discussion and someone recommends or discusses an impact wrench; I just see cables and lift system parts all over the ground. [}:)]

8. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Oh oh. Here comes the "Real men don't need no steenkin' power drivers" debate!

[{:)]

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You do not want to use a hammer or impact drill. A good old fashion corded drill will do the job for less money.

[​IMG]

I bet this guy is thirty years old and still doing the job.

10. RonB

RonB New Member

Well come on - it is a crank. How hard is it?

No wonder Jay Leno is so hung up on out of condition and overweight Americans. Not that Jay is anorexic himself :).

11. EV2

EV2 Member

You would get a lot more exercise if you get rid of your automatic garage door opener.

12. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt are all good. I buy mine new now but used to get them on EBay.

13. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

After reading all the threads about this topic I bought the high torque Dewalt (not cheap) drill/driver. As recommended by many I avoided the impact model. It won't do the job on the Bal at all and is not very effective on raising the top. It handles the stabs easily.

14. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

What is this 'garage' thing you speak of?

15. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Shuswap, just so I'm not reading ambiguity into your post, do you mean that the high-torque Dewalt that you bought won't do the Bal? Or do you mean the impact model won't do the Bal?

I'm just trying to avoid a costly purchase if it doesn't do the Bal.

And for those of you who've missed my purpose, it's not about avoiding work or not being fit. For my age, I'm doing fine with diet and exercise (well, at least the exercise is on track). I do prefer to get hot and sweaty on the trail, not setting up camp.

16. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I agree, I don't like to get all sweaty setting up the camper. In fact if there was an optional button you hit once you back into the site that makes your camper explode into a full set up camp, then I would have sprung for it.

I like to save the sweating for the biking and hiking.

17. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I went through this whole thing just to raise the PuP. The drill I bought did fine, but even as gentle as I was on the trigger, it seemed to more JERK the top up, as opposed to being a smooth operation. I decided it wasn't for me at that point because I didn't want to damage anything or put jerky pressure on the cables.

But more power to y'all!!

[:D]

18. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

You could justify it (or anything else) if you needed a new drill for other things as well! For the most torque, get an impact driver. Although you will most likely need a drill as well. I have a makita, but most of the big names will work great. I don't use mine for my trailer, but I use it a ton around the house and garage. Certainly get one with lithium batteries. They last much longer if you aren't constantly maintaining/charging the batteries. After using (and struggling with) cheap harbor freight drills for years, I am glad I bought a name brand.

Just be careful in not overcranking and I don't see why you couldn't use a power drill/impact driver with ill consequences.

If you aren't in a hurry, every year on black friday Lowes and Home Depot have these type of things on sale.

19. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

I just purchased one of these this weekend for my stablilizer jacks. My DS's ages 7 and 9 take turns setting up and down to help dad with set up and packing up the camper. They love to help. I tested it and for $19 bucks if it lasts more then 6 times, I think I got my money's worth. I am sure it will last more, but it was worth the gamble for me to see how long it lasts.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-18-volt-cordless-impact-driver-67028.html
    my [2C]

20. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Have you found a drill yet?
    I would love to find a drill to help ease setup.
    So far I always setup camp w my 2 young daughters prior to husband meeting up w us (he works late and would leave us setting up in the dark).
    I just bought Ridged drill from Home Depot on sale on black Friday for $100 with these specs.
    The Ridgid cordless compact drill delivers 535 in. lbs of torque in a more compact size to power through the most demanding applications. This new Compact Drill is loaded with features such as Grip Light Technology which engages LED light by simply holding the tool and innovative Hex Grip for a secure grip and maximum comfort. Powered by Hyper Lithium, an innovative battery technology built for high performance this Compact Drill has best-in-class run time, best-in-class recharges and best-in-class extreme weather performance. The Ridgid Compact Drill is backed with the Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement. Free Batteries. Free Parts. Free Service. For Life
    Like the lifetime warranty on parts and battery. If the gears strip it will be fixed.
    I won't know how it works until or next trip. :(
    Need to find part people modified to use w drill to lift roof.