Need a quick reply about Reflectix (leaving tomorrow for first trip)

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by PopUp Dreamer, Jul 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. PopUp Dreamer

PopUp Dreamer Member

I made the Reflectix inserts yesterday and installed in ALL windows and left them in overnight. Whoa, opened PUP this morning and felt like an oven. I checked the forum and saw that most people said to put the inserts in the end bunks. The temps will be 105 while camping - ughhh! Thankfully we have AC and hope to have PUP underneath shade. Are the inserts ONLY supposed to be used on the sun side of the PUP? Or are they only used in all windows of the end bunks? The reason I ask is when I took out the insert out of the largest window by the dinette (the sun side this morning) I could really feel the sun coming in. As soon as I put it back in it seemed cooler. Do you leave the inserts in the whole time camping? I am sorry for all the questions. Running around crazily getting last minute things done AND trying to think of things that will make life more comfortable in this crazy heat. Unfortunately, I didn't have time or money to buy Popup Gizmos for this trip.

2. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

While we're camping I leave them in the windows if they're closed. They help keep the bunks darker for sleeping.
    Instead of pugs, you could get some survival tarps with the reflective side. Stick one end up into the opening where the canvas meets the roof and then put the shepherds hook pole into place. Uses some paracord and bungee cords to hold them down to the tent ends. Works better than nothing till you can make or buy pugs. Paracord and survival blankets/tarps shouldn't be more than $30 total for 2 sets.

PopUp Dreamer likes this.
  3. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I would leave the reflectix in the bunk ends at all times. I would probably put them in the East side windows in the morning, and the west side windows in the afternoon. If you are going to be inside, you might want to have all of them in. Where I camp, I don't need them for heat deflection but for heat retention.
    Experiment! See what works best for you!

PopUp Dreamer and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Of course it would be hot inside the trailer if you weren't also running A/C - that's the whole point, to reduce the heat load the A/C has to deal with. In cold weather the reverse would be true - use Reflectix bunk end window inserts to help retain heat the furnace has to generate and thereby reduce the work the furnace has to do.

PopUp Dreamer and Steveo4090 like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. If I use the AC I may use them all in the window or just in the bunkends. If I do not have AC then I open everything up to get the best cross ventilation I can get and use the gizmos to help reflect the sun away from the bunkend. In the fall and winter you can keep them in to help hold the heat you have in.

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of my Santa Fe with Reflectix window inserts in place - you can hardly tell from outside the trailer. [A]

[​IMG]

Reflectix in each of the bunk windows is very effective when using A/C in the summer or the furnace in cold weather but I'd never use Reflectix over the main windows in the camper, would be like living inside a foil wrapped baked potato! [LOL]

7. PopUp Dreamer

PopUp Dreamer Member

[​IMG] That's exactly what I felt like!! Thanks for the input.

8. Steveo4090

Like greyfox said above, I only use reflectix in my bunk windows. I never made inserts for the regular windows of our pup. It would be like a cave...cool, but dark.

9. PopUp Dreamer

PopUp Dreamer Member

Thanks so much Steve! Appreciate the info. What is the shepherds hook pole? We have a used 2001 Coleman. Was that something that would have been in with the awning poles? We just put up the awning yesterday and nothing else in the awning bag. One more question. I have two little levels that I need to put on the PUP. Where do I put them? The PUP is in our driveway and we didn't have a level when we put it up. Do I just stick the levels on the side where we can see them easily when using the Andersen Leveler and make sure the bubble is in the middle wherever we put it on?

10. Steveo4090

Shepherds hook pole...maybe I'm the only one that calls it that lol. It's the pole for the bunk end canvas.

As far as stick on bubble levels, make sure the camper is level 1st. I'd put it on the front where you can see side to side level while backing onto the Anderson leveler. The front to back level just needs to be on the side where it's easy to get to see while using the tongue jack. I'd put it on the side towards the front. Whichever side you stand on normally when you use the jack.

I haven't gotten around to putting them on our new trailer yet. I just use a 2' level on the tongue and then the floor of the camper.

11. Steveo4090

If you just stick levels on it now and make them level according to their bubbles, the only thing that will be level is your levels. Your camper will always be out of level however much it is right now when you get the bubbles in the middle. You have to get the camper leveled side to side and front to back as perfectly as you want it to be for forever before you attach the bubble levels [RTM]

12. PopUp Dreamer

PopUp Dreamer Member

Okay, then YES, I do have that pole. :) "stand on normally" - well, this is our first camping trip so we don't have a "normal" yet. [LOL] The sites all look level. Here's a picture. I think we can camp under or close to the tree as long as it is high enough and not hitting the roof. BTW, I have camped in a PUP but it was over 10 years ago and my ex DH at the time did most of the setting up. Current SO has only tent camped but he is a quick learner (he's a metal fabricator). Just hope we get everything right. Thanks for your help!!

Attached Files:

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have camped a lot in the TX summer heat. I put the reflectix in the bunk windows, galley and dinette windows. I keep the main window under the awning uncovered so I can see out. You have to leave the A/C running all the time. If you shut it off in 100+ degree temps the inside can and will shoot up, just like leaving your car sitting out in the sun.

I assume you left the reflectix in the pup without the A/C running in your driveway? If that is the case then it will get pretty hot in there. The Reflectix helps to reduce heat soak from sunlight as well as providing a thermal barrier.

Good luck, and hope you can stay cool!