Need Advice from Fleetwood owners...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by ready123go, Jul 15, 2017.

1. ready123go

ready123go Member

We are looking to buy a used PUP and there are a couple of Fleetwoods I have my eye on. Specifically, a 2005 Newport, 2006 & 2007 Niagaras.

Current tow vehicle is a '97 F350 7.3 Dually (we used to have a 5th wheel). So tow vehicle is covered.

I have concerns about parts availability. Have you ever been unable to obtain a part? What did you do to get around this?

Overall, any regrets? Any advice?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Parts are readly available. We had an 05 Victory and currently have an 07 Niagara. I have had no problems obtaining parts. We absolutly love our Niagara. Fleetwood built a quality unit. Good luck. Inspect well.

Mike Stone and ready123go like this.
  3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

We have a 2005 Victory and love it. No plans to get rid of it, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Fleetwood if I were shopping.

ready123go likes this.
  4. drocks

drocks Member

Parts aren't a problem. Most of the Coleman specific parts can be found here. There are also a lot of parts that are generic in nature that can be bought anywhere rv parts are sold. Here's the link to the largest parts supplier.
    https://colemanpopupparts.com/

jmkay1, Alan and ready123go like this.
  5. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Agreed, broke the outside door latch on my 07 Avalon. 5 minutes and $40.00 later I have new one on the way. Never been a problem

Adam

ready123go likes this.
  6. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I have a 2010 Niagara. No parts problems.

ready123go likes this.
  7. Alan

Alan Active Member

If you can get your hands on a nice clean Niagra, there is none better that I have seen. They are top of the line, luxury tent trailers!

ready123go likes this.
  8. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

I'm with Alan. If it's in good shape and well maintained get the Niagara. You will not be disappointed.

ready123go likes this.
  9. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

The Popupparts site covers a lot of what you'd ever need. I was pleasantly surprised, compared to looking for parts for our old Viking.

ready123go likes this.
  10. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Another good source is Canvas Replacement.
    http://www.canvasreplacements.com/

With my first Coleman I called them and they had all the parts I needed. They don't list everything they have. Like me, they have started making replacement parts for Colemans and they also have parts for other makers.

ready123go likes this.
  11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Currently parts are still available however Coleman popup parts base is in Maryland so if shipping, expect to pay for it. Many other RV shops will not have the parts available so keep that in mind if you are expecting to have the camper repaired at a shop. Also things like body panels etc may be a little more difficult to obtain. They have some, but limited in selection and of course shipping will be a problem. With that said I love my Fleetwood, but for someone with limited DIY skills its been a learning curve.

jstone45 and ready123go like this.
  12. ready123go

ready123go Member

Thank you to everyone for all the input.

13. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

That's not true, I seen posts from 3 people looking for parts in the last week that the above mentioned places no longer had stock for. In addition it is not just about the availability, the prices on parts is starting to climb. Go look at the prices for power lift parts. You could have bought the entire unit for what they want for the current limiter. Back to the OP's Niagara choices, there are no longer replacements available for the Filon ABS roof caps. Since the Highwall trailers were not produced in great number, specific parts for them may dry up quicker than the low wall trailers. I need to check on the whiffletree part numbers on my Niagara and see if they any difference from the large low walled trailers.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    ready123go likes this.
  14. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

I was actually wondering the same thing as I own a Sun Valley. So I went over to Colemanpopupparts and noticed their selection has diminished and the prices have gone up. Does anyone know if Sommerset parts are compatible? (i.e. lift mech, roofs, doors etc..?)

ready123go likes this.
  15. Snowman

Snowman Member

Colemanpopupparts.com and Amazon have had everything that I've needed to mod and or repair on my '98 Fleetwood/Coleman Santa Fe. Great camper!

ready123go likes this.
  16. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

X2 with Snowman. I have not had any issues for specific parts on our current Niagara or past Victory. But I will say this. If the part broke and I replaced it, I purchased 2 extra. We own an antique Jeep and I do the same thing with her.

Snowman and ready123go like this.
  17. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

I've had my 2006 Niagara for 4 years now. Since getting into the PUP scene (or RV scene in general), I've come to learn there just doesn't seem like much as far as "specialized parts." I've also helped other owners with their repairs and the stuff I've seen are all made from universal RV parts. So the stuff that "tend to break" aren't going to be hard to find.

But of course if you break the rails on the bed or the bar that holds up the canvas or tear your canvas, those are specialized parts. None of that has happened to me and hope it doesn't. I'm super gentle with it when I set it up and fold it down. I tell my kids, "she an old gal, so we gotta be gentle when we handle her."

But I have to save... with all the other PUP owners I've been out with and the other makes I've seen, I haven't seen anything that is equivalent to Fleetwood/Coleman design and quality. So if you go with a Fleetwood that was maintained well and is in good shape, I think you'll be OK.

Alan and ready123go like this.
  18. jstone45

jstone45 New Member

Can anyone help with Coleman fleetwood in the uk

19. FlyfisherBob

FlyfisherBob Member

Glad to hear that the Fleetwood Niagara has such excellent reviews.....that's what we've decided to check out, we have our hearts set on this PUP. We'll be buying used, we just started our search a few days ago and love the look,features and specs.

20. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

I have seen reports from people who have asked Northwest and basically gotten a "no idea" answer. They claimed they have changed all the part numbers and have no way to cross reference the old Fleetwood numbers.