Need Advice on DIY for Ceiling Leak

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by xuwriter, Jun 18, 2018.

1. xuwriter

xuwriter New Member

Hello all! This is my first post here - I'm hoping to get info that can point me to the right repair direction.

My husband and I are first-time pop up camper owners. We have a 1979 Jayco Jayfinch 12' pop up. The inside center plastic piece that goes across the ceiling is leaking at either end. I've attached pictures of the inside. (And also a picture of it opened part way with my cat inside for no particular reason). On the outside there's a piece of weatherstripping that is coming off the end. I don't think this has anything to do with the leak but I could be wrong. Pictures are uploaded at imgur.com

https://imgur.com/a/vTopuql

So my question is this: what is the first thing we should do to fix it? Other than take off the center piece itself. My husband wants to take it to the trailer shop but that's expensive and if possible I'd really like to fix it ourselves.

What do you think? Is this out of our depth? We're somewhat handy but not whizzbang by any stretch of the imagination.

2. Pozi

Pozi Member

Love the vintage trailer (is 1979 considered vintage?) :smiley:

It's hard to tell, especially since the canvas is up against the ceiling. You'll need to dig a little deeper by at least detaching the canvas at the roof and assess the side/end boards for damage/rot and then possibly the FRP ceiling. The rust on the canvas leads me to believe the water intrusion has been present for some time. Roof repair or replacement is not an easy task but can be done with basic tools, skill and time.

Best case, the roof is not badly rotten. If so, then let it dry out really well, clean the rust off the canvas and reseal the roof.

Post some photos of the top of the roof and your end/side boards. The water could also be coming from those bolts.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I noticed a couple of nuts and bolts apparently coming through the roof, Are they sealed? If not this could be a leak, the leaks can be at one place and running down to another place. Hopefully there is no wood rot associated with the leak.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would first re-caulk the entire roof including down the center seam on both sides and see if that takes care of the leak. Caulking should be a seasonal or every other season maintainenance job. Even if the caulking looks OK it could be a slight crack you just don't see and it doesn't take much for water to get in. after caulking and it fulling curing have a helper stay inside with a flashlight and another with a hose spraying parts of the camper roof. if it's still leaking after the caulking this could help narrow the source. On my old 1990 camper that center seam was a big contributor to my leaks, but nothing regular caulking job couldn't fix. I also found the vent plastic cracking.

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

First thing to do is keep a tarp over the camper until the leak is fixed