Need advice on replacing cable in Dutchmen 1003 (~1997 model)

grrrrraham

Apr 9, 2018
Hey guys, I need a new calbe in my pop up. I don't think it's frayed or anything but it's fully stretched and I can no longer adjust the pulley forwards to prevent the rear of the roof opening higher than the front.

I have the new cable and I thought I would replace it today. However, I just realized the winch for the Dutchmen is concealed within the camper cabin under a seat behind a compartment. There is no outside access.

So, I either need to disassemble a whole lot of the interior of the camper in order to make the winch accessible while the roof is down or..... I do the cable change with the roof up.

Is this nuts? Is there a better way?

If not, with the roof up, do I need to support it with more than just the two safety posts in opposite corners? I have 2x4's but I don't know where to prop those up as the canvas is in the way.
Need advice on replacing cable in Dutchmen 1003 (~1997 model)

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

grrrrraham

Apr 9, 2018
For those keeping track at home, I'm going to attempt to do this tomorrow by keeping the roof propped open using 2x4's about 2 feet long. This should give me enough stability and clearance to get into the camper and access the winch.

I will report back tomorrow with details.

bobinfleet

Super Active Member
Sep 2, 2011
Hampshire UK
When I changed the cables on my Viking, I used 2x4's from the ground up to the lip of the roof. Lift the roof up then lower it a couple of turns to give a little slack in the cables.