Need advice on size

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by coskier, Jul 11, 2016.

1. coskier

coskier New Member

My first rodeo with trailers and we're considering a 19' pup... is my concern about the size while driving justified? We'll be in the mountains a lot. Or am I have fear over the unknown, and it's really no big deal to pull a trailer this size?

Thanks for your insights.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

What is your tow vehicle, what are it's ratings, what are the camper weights?

3. coskier

coskier New Member

Hyundai Santa Fe - Towing capacity is 3500 with electric brakes on the trailer (which it does have). The trailer is around 3000. Horsepower on the SF is 242. It meets the requirements of the trailer. Thanks!

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

What is a 19' pop up?

5. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

I guess 10' box, + 5' queen, + 4' double = 19', am I right?

6. coskier

coskier New Member

19' is the box size when it's closed... 2 queen pullouts.

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

19' closed? I didn't know they came that big. What is the make and model?

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If it is one of those tandem axle pups, loaded ready to camp you'll find that it is way too heavy for you Hyundai ...

9. coskier

coskier New Member

Single axle.

Okay, Let's hit the reset button on the question.

My car has the power to tow the trailer... my question is around skill level required for driving a trailer that is 19'.

Is it any more challenging to drive a 19' trailer then, say, a 12' trailer? Since I've never driven a car while towing a trailer is there any advice, or should I steer away from a trailer that size since I'm new to this?

10. R00

R00 Active Member

None of us know, since we've never seen a 19' pop-up. Pics or it didn't happen!

*edit* I guess technically, a hi-lo can run around that size, but you'll never pull a hi-lo with a Santa Fe. Especially not through Colorado mountains.

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Since I don't believe you should be pulling a 3000lb camper with a Santa Fe on flat land then obviously my answer would be know I would not try pulling it in the mountains

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm going to assume the 19' is hitch to bumper which is very similar to my current set up. Here are my thoughts as I don't know much about the Santa Fe. If memory serves me correctly the Santa Fe has a shorter wheel base. Which can complicate things. Especially when backing up or recovering from sudden sway. Going threw the mountains is a whole nother learning curve. Mountain passes are known for wind bursts that really keep any tower on their toes. You will want to make sure your vehical can safely recover the movement. Trailer breaks is great and will help immensely. With that said, I believe your car can do it, but it will be really really working hard and you may be white knuckling it. If you were to also add inexperiance it could be bad. If I were you, I would practice traveling else where until you get more experience. Really get to know your set up. feel the power or lack of power when going over just hills. When I towed my old jayco threw a mountain pass and a sudden stong wind burst tossed my popup, I was thankful I had a strong vehical to recover it. The fear of the loss of control of the pup and the sudden jerking on your tow vehical is beyond words.

13. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Your first trailer yet you are refusing to answer the questions posed by people trying to help?

Our concern is that you have an inadequate tow vehicle. The first step is to determine all your ratings and be sure that your new trailer is within the ratings.

You mention a tow rating of 3500 and a trailer that weighs 3000. Is that the empty weight? Do you plan to only tow an empty trailer?

Are you aware that passengers and gear in the tow vehicle need to be subtracted from the tow rating of 3500?

Answer our questions and we can walk you thru this without making thousands of dollars in mistakes.

14. mhrir

mhrir Guest

I am going to assume you've done your homework and determined the loaded weight of the trailer, the tongue weight, the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle (including passengers), and the combined weight of the tow vehicle and trailer are within the capabilities of the tow vehicle.

To answer the question you are actually asking...

Bigger trailers tend to be heavier and longer which makes them more stable going down the road. Therefore less affected by wind gusts, especially pop ups which are low profile. The main considerations are increased braking distance and allowing for wider turns due to the longer wheel base.

So it is not really any more challenging than a trailer that is 12' overall length. If you have experience towing any trailer it will apply to a larger (longer) trailer.

15. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

I would say you are going to be in a bit over your head towing that close to the limit in the mountains. Big thing to take into account is while the car has 242hp at sea level you've only got about 206hp on the front range and about 169hp at 10K so just going up I-70 or trying to get over mountain passes will be a challenge. The other catch is stopping it downhill on curved roads. You'll probably be running trailer brakes but with the shorter wheel base on the Santa Fe it is going to feel like the trailer is pushing you around. It can be done, but unless you have a lot of towing experience I wouldn't recommend it.

Another thing you'll need to look at if your still debating buying it is the GVWR (combined car, gear and trailer weight). You may find that you can tow a 3500lb trailer assuming there is only the driver and no gear in the vehicle.

I'm also curious what kind of trailer is 19' long with only 2 queen beds? Does it have a deck on the front for toys?

16. Jughed

Jughed Member

After pulling a small Pup thru the Colorado mountains with a 2500 - no way would I want to pull a large pup with a Santa Fe.

As stated above - I-70 has 10 & 11,000' passes. You are down 30% in HP at those elevations- then the 2-3 mile descent will be putting strain on every system you have.

17. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

It would help if you would provide more info on the camper. Virtually everyone classifies pups by the box length (and storage trunk if there is one), not the hitch to bumper length. IF the loaded weight is 3K lbs, you will be fine. I have a jayco 12 UDST, it is 14' with the storage trunk(20' hitch to bumper) and pulls fine with a minivan (and that includes mountain areas). IT does not have a slide out and tops out loaded at about 2900 lbs. The length is not an issue, it is the weight. The camper will be set up with the axle distance from the hitch so that it tows well when loaded correctly. You aren't going to win any races and you will need to have trailer brakes, but you can tow that set up just fine if you keep your loaded weight to 3K and drive with the recognition that you are towing something.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  18. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Active Member

On paper, all the numbers crunched, and reading this entire thread. I wouldn't even want to drive this combination on level ground. Any time you push the envelopes of the TV, you are setting yourself up for very bad things to happen. As long as all the stars are aligned you may be able to tow at lower elevations. But consider all the situation's that can happen. Wind, other drivers, pulling mountain climbs, not over heating your breaks during decents, deer, etc you will be hard pressed to control everything at even 50 mph. Not to mention over heating engine and transmission. I doubt your TV is equped with oil and transmission cooler. Prolonged heat and pressures will take a major toll on the TV. Overall your camper and TV combo is not very safe. You can replace the TV and camper. But no one can replace you. I would find a smaller camper around 2,000 lb category. Just my opinion.

19. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Seeing as the post is 4 years old and poster is still here at times she must have it figured out