Need advice....What would you do?...please help asap

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by kw4tx, Nov 11, 2011.

1. kw4tx

kw4tx New Member

I have 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport....4.0 liter inline 6... 4X4....I t has 140,000 miles on it and I know these motors will go forever....
    My problem lies I believe in the size of the vehicle...

My Coleman Bayside weighs more than it does...I am able to pull it fine....the torquey little 6 has no issues..just seems like it's an ant pulling a mountain
    My delima:

I have been pondering the idea of getting a fullsize vehicle and trading in my Jeep...

I have found a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe V8 5.7 liter 4X4 with 135,000 miles on it....( all the amenities my jeep does not have)(ie power windows, door locks, leather, etc)

I want to do this to get rid of any PUP pulling issues..

I be live this vehicle would be a good investment for towing the PUP and maybe an upgrade further down the road...

But my Jeep is so immaculate and special to me in a way (paid off)... I have spent many hours upgrading and getting her right.... I have installed a bang up stereo and front door aftermarket power locks and a remote start.. and just did get her wired for 7pin and brake controller

So do I let her go and look beyond? And start a new vehicle project or do I take my chances and let the ant pull the mountain

Maybe going tomorrow to see about trade in options...

see what I mean?
    [​IMG]

2. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

I'm far from an expert, but running the numbers, your Coleman Bayside fully loaded is about 3400 lbs. and your Jeep's tow rating is 5000 lbs. So unless you want all the extras on the Tahoe combined with a more expensive gas bill, or have plans to upgrade to a TT sometime in the future, if I were in your shoes, I'd stick with the Jeep. Assuming, of course, you have electric brakes on the PUP and a brake controller installed on the Jeep. Hard to tell due to the dip in the ground how even your tow angles are, but it appears fairly even. Maybe install an anti-sway bar. Probably not even worth [2C], but that's my thought on your dilemma.

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

If you really like the jeep and use the interior space, I suggest this;
    Buy and install a WDH.
    If it is an automatic tranny, rebuild the tranny for towing - install a shift kit or have it programmed and install a low stall torque converter.
    Rebuild the engine or have one built for it. A different head with high performance valve grind angles, new intake and headers.
    Add Bilstein HD shocks.
    Install a rear sway bar and/or a heavier front sway bar.

If you do buy a different TV I suggest looking at something with lower miles.

Also, consider the gas mileage both towing and solo of a different TV.

4. freenaz

freenaz Member

Seems to me that you have spent some time and $$ making the Jeep your TV so stick with it maybe add the mods as Twisty and Dust Devil suggested. The Tahoe doesn't seem like that much of a step up anyway. It is year older and basically the same miles seems to be a wash except the payments.

'better the devil you know than the devil you don't' [}:)]

5. robctry69

robctry69 New Member

as easily modified as the jeep is i would keep it you can get things for it they dont even build for other tv,s

6. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I know of at least one Cherokee forum - do a quick search, they'll help you out.

7. dugdhookr

dugdhookr New Member

[o!!!o] I'm an XJ jeep guy myself and I would keep the Cherokee

8. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Some folks won't like this, but all Jeeps I see look individual and different. All Tahoes I see look the same.
    To each their own.

9. Charley

Charley New Member

Are you having any difficulties towing with your Jeep? Or is this concern based on theories? .
    Speaking from experience, its really nice not to have a car payment :) [TV]

10. robctry69

robctry69 New Member

to be fair the tahoes do come in diffrent colors

11. GCHIKER

GCHIKER New Member

Guess I'm the odd man out.
    I've been in general automotive repair for over 30 yrs and have driven both of these vehicles quite a bit.
    They both have their quirks, but I've always felt better in the Chevy.
    And the 350 is pretty much rock-solid.

Now I can't wait for your decision. (Jeopardy theme song inserted here)

12. volkster

volkster Member

I think you're in good shape, as long as you have brakes and the trailer is at the right level.

You're right that the Cherokee drivetrain will go forever. That engine is bulletproof... except that they all leak oil. I worked at a Jeep dealership and saw several that were well over 250,000 miles and looked as good as yours.

Think about what other things you could do with that $ that would go towards a car payment!

13. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

stay with the Cherokee, it's paid for, any and every thing you do from here out repair and upgrade wise with be less than a car payment over the long haul.

I have a '97 4Runner, 160k 3.4L with original clutch and 5spd manual. 5000 tow rating pulling a 3500 loaded camper. pulls well, stops well ( with trailer brakes ) and a few minor wiring mods and it'll be good to go for awhile.

stepping up to a larger vehicle isn't dumb at all, but one with the same miles and unknown service history probably isn't the best move.

the '96 'ho with 135k , you're looking at ( if it hasn't already been done ) water pump, intake gaskets, coolant flush, AC issues ( leaks, not operating correctly ) and possible transmission issues. brakes, possible rear axle bearings. these are all things I've seen in that mileage range when I was a GM tech. all very fixable, and not real expensive if you can do most yourself. BUT add those on top of payments and it's not economical.

I'd not go that route unless you have access to very detailed maintenance records or one hell of a warranty that can't be BS'd ( not likely )

Jeep is paid for, install a trans cooler if it doesn't already have one, change trans fluid to a good compatible synthetic, change axle lube, check front wheel bearings (unit hub bearing ) inspect all brakes, belts and hoses, and water pump for condition. a good tune up and you'll have most things covered. it's paid for and you know what you have.

14. 4x2x2Kx2

4x2x2Kx2 3 Nights Camped in '12--but many more to go!

FWIW--my XJ is just over 160K and my WJ is @ 136K, both with the 4.0 I-6. Just added tranny coolers to both and 30K PM on the XJ tranny. We bought our PUP in August this year and she weighs in about 1650lbs (and I know how she is loaded so far as not just weight but distribution). I am comfortable towing it anywhere with either Jeep.

HOWEVER...

My first outing with the XJ was with a friends Fleetwood Cheyenne (guesstimating about 2500lbs). Awesome that he let us borrow his PUP, but the larger size PUP combined with the front storage trunk (with things I wouldn't have used / loaded) equated to a weight / distribution scenario that made for a safe but cumbersome pull. Several of your comments were spot-on with how I felt pulling the Cheyenne: "....the torquey little 6 has no issues..just seems like it's an ant pulling a mountain"

That said, I'd agree with the majority so far--keep what you know and love vs. opening a potential can of worms. You can do a lot for cheap on an XJ and not have to deal with payments and other unknowns. The rear springs of the XJ's are known softies anyway with age--consider replacing with a good upgrade and/or air shocks. Look into a WDH as a possibility. Be sure the trailer brakes/controller are functioning properly.

I've found that while it hurts a little to have to 'bank' some dollars for surprise repairs or upgrades on my older Jeeps, it beats the heck out of a never-ending $350+ payment each month!

15. mv520

mv520 Member

Ikw4tx, If your concern is simply "it just doesn't seem right to tow something heavier than the TV" and there are no towing issues and if your well within tow ratings, then don't worry about needing something big to tow something smaller. I don't think anyone has ever questioned an 18 wheeler configuration where the tractor doing the towing certainly weights a lot less than its loaded trailer!

16. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[:)C] Keep the Jeep. I sold my two years ago and bought a truck. I have regreted and missed my Jeep since. I wish that I still had her. Jeeps are not like other vehicles; one can grwo very attached to their Jeep. I did.

17. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I had a CJ7 once...
    There's a feeling you get, only in a Jeep!

18. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

J ust
    E mpty
    E very
    P ocket ?

19. kw4tx

kw4tx New Member

I heard you guys....I really did...And you were probably all right...

BUT

I am weak.... I admit it...

I went and did it anyway.... Iknow...I know.... why did I even ask.....

Just couldnt help it... I have always loved these Tahoes.... and this one is in wonderful shape...Although it is a 95 and not 96 model

Please forgive me all Jeep lovers... I know how it goes I have had 5 Jeeps myself...

Price was right.... I bought my Jeep from them...so repeat buyer discount and lowest monthly payments I ever had...

Thanks for all the advice, But my decision although hard was also more than just TV related... My Jeep had issues...

1: exhaust was loose and rattling
    2: I would get some strange pop when exelerating from a stop
    3: I had been repainted (badly) when I bought it... Overspray everywhere...Chipping paint over black fender flares...
    4:Engine was making a roaring noise...(probably just a pulley)
    5:Valve cover was leaking (like all Jeeps)
    6:Interior was leaking during the rain on drivers side floor
    7: Huge dent in rear bumper
    8:Cheapo wallmart hitch put on by myself
    9:Bumper was pushed up by hitch causing tailgate to jam and rub...

List could go on but ...I will stop there... Just wanted you guys to know why my decision and to help remind me..

Well her is my NTM tow vehicle:

[​IMG]

20. freenaz

freenaz Member

[LOL] Nice looking truck, enjoy