Need advice

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by bigjoey38, Jun 13, 2015.

1. bigjoey38

bigjoey38 Member

Well its been about 2 weeks since I got back from Ga, with my new to me camper... so the weather was good today and being a newbie I started to do some hands on training.

Water flow- Check

Hot water heater started - check

Furnace- will do on Sunday.

Almost there..

Now while at home I like to keep the battery charged up. I know I can put a charge on the battery but do they sell something else I can use to connect to 30 amp plug?

I tried connecting an ext cord to an 15 amp/30 amp adaptor and then to the camper cord- it keeps tripping the outlet breaker... any suggestions

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You are using to many amps, are you trying to run the A/C or microwave, is the HW heater on electric ? 15 amps will not usually carry that load.
    If not then you could have a short in the wiring somewhere.
    I use a battery minder from harbor freight $4.99 on sale 9>99 normally, this keeps the battery topped off when setting.

3. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

how long of an extension and what gage wire. If it is long and light gage, you will build up significant resistance. I run a 100 ft cord successfully, but it is 12 ga.

4. bigjoey38

bigjoey38 Member

I have everything off...

5. Bratman

Bratman Give me a clear sky and a drum.

I have mine set up in my drive way next to the garage with the 30/15 adaptor in the normal a/c that has a 30 amp breaker I've even run the air for short amounts of time to test it etc... 2013 Starcraft 816 with no problems... I'd have my wiring checked by a pro, that's something I wouldn't want to deal with at the CS!

6. capy235co

capy235co Member

My first thought is to try to get close enough to the nearest electrical outlet and try eliminating the extension cord. I would think your Trailmanor should be able to reach.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Tripping an overload breaker or a GFCI?

8. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

BigJoey, glad to hear you got your new Trail Manor home safely. You had a long ride through some rough weather areas.

When selecting a battery maintainer, the more you pay the more you get. Be sure to choose a sophisticated model with a desulphating feature. We have been very pleased with the results from a CTek 3300. Even then, check electrolyte level from time to time.

9. bigjoey38

bigjoey38 Member

GFCI

10. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Thanks, that makes a big difference in the answer.

You have a ground fault. The first likelihood is your extension cord. Get rid of it and use a quality cord. If that doesn't work, let us know, it could be a fault inside the trailer.

This is potentially a very dangerous situation, it needs fixed.

11. bigjoey38

bigjoey38 Member

Thanks- I will switch out extension cord and try it... They had the camper plug in via 30 amp plug and had no issues at the dealer before I pulled it of the lot.

12. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Most household circuits are not for one receptacle only. I would actually trace the circuit on the house side, you may find that the microwave, fridge, Television, ect are on the same circuit you are hooking up to causing the breaker to flip.

13. bigjoey38

bigjoey38 Member

Thanks