need all kinds of help!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by angel2735, Jan 14, 2017.

1. angel2735

angel2735 New Member

I am new. I'll do more reading over time.

I camped 6 times last summer for the first time in our pop up, we moved from tent camping.

Some things I still need to figure out:

-how to get 3 bikes AND 3 Kayaks on the truck/camper.....on a budget.... I like to keep the bed of the truck dry and covered, for toys, beach cart etc.
    -how to hook up my inverter for the solar panel
    -how to get the water running, I filled the tank a couple of times and NEVER got it to flow from the faucet!
    -I need a new awning solution, the awning on the Jayco has TOO many heavy poles and I am too SHORT to comfortably set it up!

Please feel free to comment on any of these, or point me in the direction of specific forums!

Thank you!

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The bikes and kayaks are a challenge. Look at some available racks and maybe someone can make them for you for far less money.
    Not sure what you want to do with the solar panel, you are not going to run an inverter from a solar panel.
    If the water uses an electric pump you need a power source. Camper plugged into shore power or a battery.
    Assemble the awning when the roof is halfway up, when fully up adjust the poles.

3. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Can't help with the toys sounds like a lot with out using the truck bed or a truck rack. Why an inverter you can do everything with 12 volt that you can with 120 except AC and heat. Inverters suck a battery dead really fast and a solar setup won't keep up unless you spend really BIG bucks. More info would help where do you camp developed campground or back woods? how long do you camp for weekend or all week? Do you have a water pump or is it a single pump style faucet? Back to inverter are you talking about the built in Converter or a 12 to 120 inverter?

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Just as everyone else said, if you don't have a pump faucet, you will need to turn on the water pump to get it from the tank to the spigot. If you are hooked to a water source , this does not apply.

Good luck on bringing all those toys. I think you are going to have to use the truck bed. You may be able to get a hitch mount carrier, and double hitch, for the bikes between the truck and PUP. But, the kayaks are another story. Do you have an A/C on top your PUP?

As far as the awning. Bring a step ladder or look into one of the awnings that mount, with diagonal poles, to the side of the PUP. I think these may be easier to handle. I don't have one, but I want one. We don't use our current awning due to not liking guy lines.

Welcome to the forum and search for "solar" for ideas on your set up.

5. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

You hook the solar panel to the battery and the solar panel charges the battery.

You hook the inverter to the battery and the inverter uses the power stored by the battery.

If you are referring to the converter not inverter, then there is a somewhat different answer.

6. ngranatelli

ngranatelli New Member

We're new owners of a popup as well. My husband and I are both "vertically challenged" and struggled with our awning. We bought a 2 step ladder from Amazon that folds flat for storage. It was $25. With it, we're able to easily unzip the awning and set up the poles, plus we can easily store it in the camper. Good luck!

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We carry up to four kayaks and four bikes when we camp, based on how many of the kids go with us. Two kayaks get strapped to the top of the pup, two get strapped to the top of the truck/canopy, all with the foam car kits. For the bikes, we bought one of these from Harbor Freight:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-hitch-extender-69881.html

The extender does change the tongue weight, so if your tongue weight is close to the max on your TV, I wouldn't recommend it. It worked well for us, but I think next year I'd like to put air bags on the truck to raise the rear a bit. You could also consider having a receiver hitch welded to the front of your TV to carry the bikes up there.

8. Jughed

Jughed Member

Can you use a drop hitch along with the extender?

9. eoleson1

I don't see why not, as long as you use it for a drop. If you try to flip the drop hitch up to raise the tongue, I believe it will interfere with the bike rack.

10. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

I found the series of photo VERY helpful in setting up my awning.

https://he-ruide.smugmug.com/Awning/Setting-up-an-awning/

Although he has passed away, his website continues to help many campers.

11. Jughed

Jughed Member

Thanks. I need a 4" drop for my truck and 3" for our Honda. All 3 kids are now riding & want bikes all the time, and I am trying to get back on the bike... It just seems like a ton of extensions/connections when adding a drop to the already extended dual hitch.

12. eoleson1

Come to think of it, I use either a 2 or a 3 inch drop on mine with the extender, so I know it will work. Keep in mind that it does change the geometry, so with the bikes loaded, you may only need a 3" and a 2".