Need cassette toilet repair advice

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by lonestarcamper, Jan 27, 2020.

1. lonestarcamper

lonestarcamper A smile is worth a 1000 words!

I have a 2013 Flagstaff MAC and the cassette toilet pump doesn’t bring in the treated water to flush the toilet anymore. I’m not sure how to test to see which actual part needs replacing. I have parts numbers from Flagstaff, from entire toilet to toilet control panel to just the pump. Don’t know which to order. It’s not easy to get to to find the problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Lonestarcamper

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Would help if you told us the make / model of CP you have, whether it's a manual flush OR self powered with internal batteries OR whether it draws power from the camper's 12 vdc system. A more concise description of what it's not doing would also be helpful. ;)

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Some have a hidden fuse in the tunnel the cassette slides into. Start there and see if the fuse is blown.

4. lonestarcamper

My model is Flagstaff MAC 2013, draws power from power panel. At first the push button on flush was just acting up, but finally quit releasing treated water altogether. I don’t know if it has batteries or where they are located as comment below suggest, but I’ll look for them. Just a single woman camper here, learning the ropes.

5. lonestarcamper

I have checked the fuse in power panel box and fuse not blown. Do you know where in the tunnel the batteries might be located?

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You still haven't told us the make / model of cassette potty you have - I'd presume Thetford, but what model? [?:~{]

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Like Greyfox said, make and model will greatly help others help you. Not of the the camper but of the toilet itself. Are you sure it has water or whatever fluid you use in the reservoir?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I doubt that you have separate batteries for your cassette. Assuming you have a C400+ model you will probably need to replace the pump. Follow these directions to access the pump. If your hand is small enough you don't really need to disconnect the wiring from the control panel, if you do disconnect them be careful with the little clips that hold the wiring connectors in place, they break easily and if they do you will need to buy a new control panel. Once you have the pump out you can try to turn it using the nut on the bottom, if it turns freely it may be good.

There was a thread a couple of years ago about generic replacement pumps on eBay, but replacement pumps are available from your dealer, Amazon and can be purchased direct from Thetford. Amazon is usually the cheapest of the three but it wouldn't hurt to compare pricing.

If you're not experienced with crimping wiring connections you may want to talk to your normal service provider about this.

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere but I believe the pump will last longer if you drain the flush tank when the camper goes into storage.

9. lonestarcamper

Thanks guys! My model is Thetford C-402C. I have several part numbers sent by Flagstaff customer service. I have been watching YouTube for locating the parts as the manuals don’t do a good job of this. Going to be trying out the fuse replacement and the freeing of motor. I’ll keep y’all posted!

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

11. Sjm9911

12. 10Palomino

10Palomino New Member

13. Brian Towbee

Brian Towbee New Member

I have a 2011 Forest River Rockwood Freedom 2560G pop up camper. My Thetford Cassette toilet C2 model that does not flush. I have replaced the water pump, made sure flush water reservoir was 2/3rd full, installed new control panel and still does not work. It seems I have no power to the toilet flush. I have checked the fuse panel. Is there something I am missing to fix the flusher? Is there a separate fuse for the toilet that I am missing? Thank you.

14. Sjm9911

Yes there is a fuse inline with the pump i belive.

15. Brian Towbee

Brian Towbee New Member

Thank you, is the fuse in the pump? I replaced the pump but did not open the pump up to inspect for a fuse. Where should I look for it. Thank you.

16. Sjm9911

17. CajunMan

CajunMan Active Member

I noticed you refer to "treated water" a few times. Are you putting your treatment into the fresh water tank for the cassette? It goes into the black tank (as far as I know). Only fresh water should be in the fresh water tank. That might have something to with why the pump stopped working.

Steveo4090 likes this.
  18. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Good catch, I was wondering the same thing.
    Toilet chemicals go directly into the cassette/black water tank, not into the fresh water reservoir.

19. Sjm9911

The ford atually says to put it in the water tank, the cup on the fill is also a mesuring cup. Do not put it in the water tank of the toilet, it turns gunky when you dont use it.

20. rdk59

rdk59 New Member

Good info from all. My pump wasn't working. Everything electrical checked out ok but when I pulled the pump the vanes were locked up from gooey stuff, I assumed to be stale water that cannot all be removed from the fresh/flush water tank. Freed up pump by turning vanes by hand and pump started working.

FARfetched likes this.