need Destin, FL beach front campground suggestions

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Turkish, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Turkish

Turkish I'd rather be camping!!!

We are planning on driving from Kansas city to Destin,FL in early August. Can I have a few suggestions for campgrounds on the beach, if any? Also, is it a bad timing? We'll probably be driving overnight so it shouldn't be an issue but if any suggestions an experienced RVer/Pop-uper/Hybrider can provide would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

3. RioWilson

RioWilson New Member

We were just there last month. The only campground I saw that was literally on the beach was Camp Gulf http://www.campgulf.com/

Very crowded, sites very close together.

I can highly recommend the state park we state in which was Topsail Hill Preserve State park - http://www.floridastateparks.org/TopsailHill/ It was a wonderful place to stay, beautiful beach a short walk away, and just a few miles to Destin.

Good luck!

4. Turkish

Thank you both.

Rio- It looks like a nice place. I'll check it out.

Thanks again.

5. Indy

Indy Member

Are you dead set on Destin? The Pensacola area is nice with lots to do. We stayed at Big Lagoon SP last summer (not beachside) but there's also a park on Perdido Key or there's Fort Pickens. Big Lagoon is very close to the national air museum (very cool and free!) and you can watch the Blue Angels fly or climb the lighthouse. I love, love, love the Pensacola area!!! Way less crowded and touristy than Destin, but just as beautiful.

6. Turkish

No, I just zoomed in on Destin on Google maps and looked like they have white sand beaches. [:D] I just don't want to have to drive all the way down to clearwater. We might as well go to Disney (DW will say). But thanks for the suggestion. I'll check Pensacola out too. :)

7. kelknight84

kelknight84 New Member

We live in Clearwater! Can't beat our beach anywhere!

8. carolsaucier

carolsaucier just the 2 of us

Grayton Beach is a wonderful area and has world class beaches, just down the road from Destin. You need to make reservations early as school starts in early mid August here in FL and everything fills up fast for last week before school.

9. fiddlingdoc

fiddlingdoc Member

Henderson Beach State Park is very nice, if you can get a reservation. It stays booked most of the time, but if you know when you will be going through, you might get lucky, especially if it is just for a night or two, and not a weekend.

Pensacola is very nice, as stated by Indy. Grayton is nice too, but I haven't stayed there; just drove through. Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, Al. has hundreds of spots, and can usually be a spot to pull in without reservations. They are not on the beach, but only a short ride from them.

Bob

10. camp dad

camp dad New Member

I need the same info! I'm all ears!

11. Indy

Indy Member

Gulf Islands National Seashore (beautiful day at sunset):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Destin (on a stormy day):

In case anyone is interested, here's what we did on our low budget trip to Pensacola FL last summer. It was our best trip ever!

Best restaurant meals: Sunset Grille on Perdido Key (outdoor on the bay) and Pegleg Pete's in Pensacola Beach (long lines, avoid weekends if possible)
    Most other meals were home cooked at the site.

Gulf Islands National Seashore at Perdido Key for relaxing white sands and emerald waters. I think it was $9 for a weekly pass.

Toured ruins of Fort Pickens and more beach time.

Day trip to Gulf Shores AL and visited the little zoo, where we got to pet and interact with baby kangaroos and lemurs! The kid loved this (and so did we!). There's nothing like holding and bottle feeding a lemur! Adorable!

Climbed the lighthouse - I think $3 a person to climb. Beautiful view, neat experience.

NAS air museum and Blue Angels show - totally free! Excellent experience!

Day trip to Blackwater River State Park - canoed/kayaked the river there. You could also tube if prefererd. Nice pristine waters, cool and relaxing, very calm river. Great experience! 25ish a person, I think? Not too bad for an all day activity.

Pensacola Beach dolphin tour. This was also a little more expensive (25 a person, much shorter experience). Still, it was definitely worth it. We not only saw dolphins in the wild, they came right up to the boat and even jumped up out of the water! It was like our own personal Sea World show, and it was all natural!

Drove in to Marianna to tour Florida Caverns State Park. Nice, but not the best caverns I've seen. We stopped on the way back to take a cold refreshing dip at Ponce de Leon Springs.

Day trip in to Destin for beaches. Much more crowded.

12. Turkish

We've never stayed at a SP before. I found Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park, just 18 miles N of Miramar beach. I can get 6 nights for about $110. Has anybody stayed there? It says the doors close at 5 pm. What happens if I come in after that? With the sun going down at 8-9 pm, I doubt we'll wanna be at the campground before then. Is it a huge struggle to get back in the park after hours?

13. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Call and ask them. As far as I know Florida SP give you an access code to the gate so you can come and go as you please.

14. carolsaucier

carolsaucier just the 2 of us

all FL state parks give you a gate code for after hours entry. Enjoy

15. Indy

Indy Member

Hey, my Destin on a stormy day pic didn't come through. Redo.
    [​IMG]

My point is simply this - you can have a beautiful stretch of beach to yourself if you choose something closer to Pensacola area or Perdido Key.

Even on a stormy day in Destin, you'll have neighbors plopped down all around you. But, that depends on what you're looking for -- for us, it was peace and quiet on beautiful beaches. :)

I promise I'm not a sales rep for Pensacola... lol... just fell in love with the place. Back to your regularly scheduled thread. [;)]

16. froggie

froggie New Member

Indy, thanks for the list. We'll actually be able to take the dolphin tour since we're staying in the pup. I also heard there are horses you can rent for rides on the beach. [8D]

17. smhartman

smhartman Member

Henderson Beach - Hands down the best State Park! Happy Camping! Susan

18. Turkish

Thank you all for your inputs. Now we'll definetelly have more fun than we would, had I not posted this question. :)

19. vorbeck23

vorbeck23 New Member

I have stayed at Henderson 4 times and will be staying at Top Sail in three weeks for the first time. We love Henderson but couldn't get in for the trip coming up. As far is it being crowded at Henderson there is usually very few people at the beach, especially during the week.

20. StevensFamily

StevensFamily Excited about camping!

Just remember it rains most afternoons on the beach, so be prepared :)