need epoxy info/ recommendations

Katskamper

Super Active Member
Nov 21, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
the JB weld i used to attach mounting bolts to a stainless steel sink failed today.
all 4 bolts! i did pretty first, they popped off.

i did ugly. they popped off too.
19CDD827-F35F-473E-9712-91B4644F3401.jpeg 19CDD827-F35F-473E-9712-91B4644F3401.jpeg

ordered a different sink bolt today see pic. ( i dont think it will fit /too big).

& instructions say use "putty epoxy." WHAT KIND? what brand?
heres what i did that didn't work as planned

brass bolt to stainless steel sink application.

Attachments

• B8291608-4DD0-4DCA-A965-53EA7EC15397.jpeg
    B8291608-4DD0-4DCA-A965-53EA7EC15397.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 25
  • A89D6D4E-FBA6-475C-B6FF-A4C966911A52.jpeg
    A89D6D4E-FBA6-475C-B6FF-A4C966911A52.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

bluespruce

Jul 6, 2011
How did the JB Weld fail? Did it just pull off the stainless steel? Or, we’re those just “regular” bolts and there wasn’t enough surface area to grab on the threads?

my go to epoxy for fixing/adhering things is West System six10. Comes in a standard size caulk tube with a static mixer. Not cheap though and way more than you would need for this job. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-system--six10-thickened-epoxy-adhesive--10287571

I’ve used plumbers putty epoxy to fix random thing before and I’d think that would work to but it may just be JB Weld in a different package. I’ve never used JB Weld before.

the bolts you linked in the Amazon picture have a lot of surface area and holes for the epoxy to grab. I’d think if the stainless steel is clean then almost any thick epoxy work work well. Some of the “5-minute” brands from the home center are pretty thin like a glue so they won’t fill the holes and there won’t be good contact for a bond if the sink surface has any irregularity in shape (not flat).

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
I've used JB Weld before. Not for installing sinks, though. I thought all sinks came with welded attaching points for the clamp bolts, but apparently not. It the fastener head is too big, cut it down with a hacksaw so it sits flat.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Before cutting, put the nut on , this way you can unsrew the nut and it will straighten out the threads you just cut through. Not shure on what to use for the expoxy. The puddy type is the plumbers puddy, and jb weld makes one as do others. Its supost to be steal reinforced or something so the cured product is stronger then the material it fixes.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
Before cutting, put the nut on, this way you can unscrew the nut and it will straighten out the threads you just cut through. Not sure on what to use for the epoxy. The puddy type is the plumbers puddy, and jb weld makes one as do others. Its suppose to be steel reinforced or something, so the cured product is stronger than the material it fixes.
There's a big difference between Plumber's Putty (Non-Hardening) and Plumber's Epoxy Putty (Hardening).

CoolCanuck

Oct 30, 2016
Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada
But, even with the plumbers epoxy, you should still have acribically cleaned the bolt (all of it), the area's where you want to glue etc. Don't even think of touching anything with bare hands (use your PPE = gloves), so that not a single molecule of oil or silicone remains anywhere in the vicinity of the future joint. Some metals should be "etched" before gluing.

zak99b5

Feb 21, 2019
If I were me, I’d just drill through the sink and use rubber washers under the heads.

Jeep Guy

Mar 7, 2018
Kat, if you run a bead of silicone around under the sink then set it in the counter, it would secure it really well. I had to replace the counter for my sink / stove area last year. The counter is secured to the flip over galley with screws under the counter. I put a bead of silicone on the galley then I set the counter top on it and let it set for most of the day. When I flipped the galley over to put in the screws, the counter was pretty well glued down with the silicone and it did not budge.

Last edited:

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Look for a product called “water-weld” - it may be a JB product (can’t remember)... super easy to work with and works very well in many different applications. You just cut off a small amount and knead it together - then apply where needed.
Edited to unpredict predictive spelling!