need help and reviews

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by suprz, Jun 20, 2009.

1. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

just planning out next years camping season (or dreaming about it anyways [;)] ) but i was wondering if anyone has been to the following campgrounds in Maine
    1-Recompence shore campground
    2-Chewonki campground
    3-Hermit island campground
    4-Grays homestead oceanfront campground

thanks!

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Check out Trip Advisor or one of the other review sites. I always check these sites before I book a trip to a campground I have never been to.

3. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Phil,
    Look here, you just need the towns they are in after you pick the
    state. www.rvparkreviews.com

-Chris

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

You can check Woodalls as well. We use them to check out CG's.

5. suprz

thanks for the replies, I have checked RV Park Reviews, and Tripadvisor, etc... but you know how it is sometimes, speaking to a fellow PUP'er that has been there is worth alot more than the websites can tell you... [;)]

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

I hear ya!. I trust the opinions of the folks on this site before I would trust these websites.

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Member

We'll be going to Hermit Island next week. I'll give you our review when we return. It looks really beautiful. We are familiar w/the area, which is a great place to visit.

It took us several days to get through & make a reservation. Last year we waited too long & couldn't get in at all.

8. suprz

thanks queenbee, i look forward to your review :)

9. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Member

We just got back from Hermit Island. It is truly a beautiful place. The beaches were some of the most amazing ones I have ever been to. The campground itself is clean and appears well run. There are a lot of rules (no pets, no visitors, no second car, no radios), which does make for nice quiet nights.

The campground is designed primarily for tenters. There are no elecric & water hookups. The roads are quite potholed and most sites that we saw seemed very uneven for a pop up. (We had a bit of trouble ourselves.) The bath houses are adequate. It is a huge place, and since most people are tenting they are highly used - and run out of hot water regularly.

So, all in all, if you don't mind being w/out hookups, and your TV can handle the rough terrain, this might be the place for you. I guess it is all what you are looking for. Feel free to ask any questions. HTH.

10. suprz

Thanks Queenbee, the TV is a jeep so it can handle the sand and such, It sounds like our kind of place. I will be sending you a PM with more questions, did you take any pics?

11. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Member

Sorry Suprz, we didn't take any pics. Definitely PM me. I'm glad to help.

12. Dan G

Dan G New Member

As Queen Bee mentioned Hermit Island is very beautiful but rustic. Chewonki is also nice - this is from a drive through and not an actual stay though.

Dan

13. suprz

to be honest , KMH1596 (kevin) just did a drive thru at Chewonki for me and took some great pics (Thank you kevin!!) It is on our list of spots for next year!

14. Vernon

Vernon New Member

I have planned a trip to Chewonki in June 2010. It looked very nice on the webiste and I have read all good reviews. I'll have a personal opinion when I return.