Need help cutting out a 14x14

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Initi8r, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Initi8r

Initi8r New Member

I tried searching in the heating and cooling forum, as well as Google and YouTube, no luck. Is there anywhere a tutorial on how to cut out a 14x14 hole in my roof to install the A/C? I have the 4 markers set up on the inside of the roof already. There's a PDF file here on the forum that says to drill with a small bit first, then use 1/2 inch drill and drill out bigger holes, then use medium blade jig saw and cut from middle of each hole connecting all 4, hence creating a square with rounded edges vs straight corners. My question is this, if the markers are already at 14x14 distance, and I drill with a 1/2 in the middle of it, won't that add an extra 1/4 inch outward to each side of the marker ? Making the hole bigger. I'm a camper newbie, just got [SUN] few months ago, thanks to this site already experimented with a lot of projects, this one seems to be the scariest for me. Any help especially pictures would be greatly appreciated

2. mdigby

mdigby New Member

You have the corners marked. Are the markers through the outside also? If not use a small bit ( 3/16 or 1/4) to drill the corner holes.

Then use a 1/2 bit to drill near where the center of the opening (square) will be.

Lastly use a jig saw (or a scroll saw) to cut the roof, following the lines you marked connecting the corner markers. Begin the cuts in the center 1/2 hole you drilled.

If you are uncomfortable or have not used a jig saw before, you might want to find someone who is experienced to do this.
    It is doable, but you don't want to make the hole too big.

3. Initi8r

Initi8r New Member

So 3/16 or 1/4 will be enough of a diameter to make the curved corners ? I think your method makes more sense then the PDFs instructions, will try, thanks.

4. mdigby

mdigby New Member

I would double check the directions or template or flange. You can always make the hole larger later, but you can't make it smaller.

If the corners are rounded on the vent, you might not be able to cut all the way to the markers.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

5. Initi8r

Initi8r New Member

Yeah, I myself wouldn't mind seeing some directions or templates, unfortunately can't find any, and I don't think my A/C will come with any,,

Sent from my NSA Monitored Device

6. Owen Stubbs

Owen Stubbs New Member

Before you cut the hole, will your roof support the weight of the a/c unit, and the force exerted every time you hit a bump while towing?

7. Initi8r

Initi8r New Member

It should, it's not like other trailers with A/C have some kind of super roofs!? This one came with roof support bars on the inside of the roof from factory. I'm guessing that's all I need

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

9. Initi8r

Initi8r New Member

Yeah I have that picture too, I was confused that you cut to the center of the hole, not to the edge of the radius of it, which is weird because then you going to have the corners stick out more than the edges of the hole. The link you gave me has good pictures tho, seems like he followed a template to cut it out. Smart move, maybe I can try that

10. Initi8r

Initi8r New Member

I'm also not sure how to cut this bar that runs across my camper, use a grinder or something ? [​IMG]
    This picture shows it to be cut to this dimension. Seems like it's just for looks once you cut it in the middle, it's not going to support anything, [​IMG]

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I believe it has to do with the filon (fiberglass or somesuch) roof material, again I believe it was to reduce the possibility of cracks in the filon.

12. Initi8r

Initi8r New Member

Anybody has any experience cutting the mid brace pictured ?

13. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Those of you more experienced that I, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the center seam on the roof should be cut. The '98 Jayco we had, and others I've seen, have the a/c mounted to one side or the other of that center seam. In other words, the a/c is off to one side or the other, not centered in the roof.

You can see this in this pic of the popup we had...

[​IMG]

14. Initi8r

Initi8r New Member

But my factory markings for the hole are right in the center. I wouldn't have a problem mounting it on the side, but I'm not sure if that's how manufacturer wants it, maybe It will effect the off balance of the roof when raising it ?

15. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Then I'm sure the factory knows what they are doing. I'm not sure how you seal that seam right up to the edge of the cutout, though. I'm sure there's a known method on how to do it, I'm just don't know what that is.

Good luck!

16. Initi8r

Initi8r New Member

On that picture I posted it snows the caulk the heck out of it I guess. I wonder if putting in on a side vs the center going to mess up the balance. It would be easier to cut the hole out as well vs me trying to climb up on the roof to cut it, I can't reach to the center without going on top of it