Need help figuring out my propane system!

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by bensinc, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bensinc

bensinc New Member

I have a new to me 1998 Viking 1706 and I'm trying to get it ready for camping. It's in good shape, but the previous owner said she really didn't use the propane furnace or stove.

I'm pretty sure the current propane tank is empty, so I need to take it off and get a refill. Unfortunately I can't seem to unhook it. Here is a picture of the top of the tank: http://i.imgur.com/FPDmx.jpg

I can't seem to get it unscrewed from what I think is the pressure regulator. It just doesn't seem to budge. There is a note on the larger piece attached to the tank with an arrow for tighten, but I'm not sure if the direction refers to tightening that piece or the piece that's coming from the regulator. I tried it both ways anyway, and just can't move it.

I've also been reading that there are different types of propane tanks. Is this the common kind that I would use for a gas grill, or do I have some sort of older version that needs updated?

I'm slightly concerned about this hookup under the cabinet for using the stove inside: http://i.imgur.com/vKsEf.jpg

The pipe coming up from the floor isn't really attached to anything in the hole in the floor, so it wiggles. Is that normal? There seems to be some sort of sealant around the hole, but it's not really doing anything.

Thanks for the help! I'm new to this stuff!

2. bensinc

bensinc New Member

I gave it another shot and got it loose, I guess I just wasn't trying hard enough!

I compared it with a gas grill tank, and it is different. How do I get a new tank on here, is there an adaptor, or do I need something else?

Thanks!

3. uploon

uploon Member

Welcome, and go Hawkeyes (or Cyclones as the case may be), my wife is from Iowa.

I tried posting an answer, but it got lost in cyberspace somewhere.

Glad you got it out. It appears to be an older tank w/o an "OPD" or overfill protection device. The newer tanks have a three sided handle to identify them as that. These older tanks cannot be refilled. Some places may exchange them for you for an additional fee. Otherwise the tanks are basically the same. I would think that the current regulator would still fit into a newer tank as you may have on your grill. Also threads are reversed on these tanks.

The other thing you may want to look into is swapping out the attachment between the regulator and tank. Ask a propane dealer or look online into getting a pigtail with an "acme" nut on the end. It's a large green nut that screws onto the tank by hand. No tools needed! This is why there are large threads on the outer portion of the newer tank for your grill.

As far as the line the line through the floor, I'd venture to guess that it allows some flexibility to prevent kinking/bending.

Cheers, JC

4. bensinc

bensinc New Member

I'll have to pull the tank off my grill and see if it will attach to the pressure regulator on the camper. If it does, I guess I can just go grab a new tank for the camper. I'll see about that adapter too!

On the line through the floor, the part that sticks up is a rigid pipe, not a flexible hose. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something loose that will bounce around and break, causing a leak.

Thanks!

5. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

I have a wild guess about the line going through the floor. Some campers have an outside stove. This may have been a way to gas up that line. Check under the camper, and see if you can find out where the line goes. One other thought. If you have a furnace in the camper, the line may go to the furnace. Otherwise I haven't a clue. Let us know if you figure it out.
    And happy camping!

6. bensinc

bensinc New Member

The line is for using the stove outside, or inside. If I run it outside, I bring the hose in through that hole on the back wall in the picture. Otherwise it comes down through a hole in the counter.

I just wanted to make sure it's supposed to be loose in the hole it comes up through, and that the stuff around it isn't supposed to be sealing it in place. Otherwise I'm not sure what that stuff is for!

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

bensinc, I replace my left hand thread POL with a black ACME, green ACME is the standard for RVs, black is got plenty of BTU for me! Makes disconnecting easy, no wrench(s) required.

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.flameengineering.com/Cylinder_Connectors.html

[​IMG]

Pack something around the pipe so it doesn't bounce as you travel.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Take the ole cylinder to an exchange place and exchange it for a newer one.
    The threads for POL are still on the new cylinders.
    Once you get an exchanged newer cylinder you can get it refilled or exchange.