Need help figuring this out

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Hey im Jay, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Hey im Jay

Hey im Jay Member

I purchased two crown 6volt 235 amps per hour batteries here are the cases that I have for them and the measurements here's a picture of the toe area on the front of the trailer I cannot figure out how to place these I know to me it sounds stupid and I should be able to figure it out but I'm at the point of saying forget propane and just run batteries but then the logical side says hey stupid you need propane

Screenshot_20180319-183553.png 20180319_182241.jpg

By looking at the photo now I don't know I apparently I had an epiphany but how about mounting plywood on top drilling through the frame to mount the wood and then putting the battery boxes on top of that I don't know help please somebody our first run is in 2 weeks and I want to make sure that things go as smooth as possible for Mama cuz it has mama ain't happy I damn sure ain't happy

2. wimarine

wimarine add me to FB

I would weld on a 2 more brackets in front of the propane tanks if there enough room for you battery box

PopUpSteve likes this.
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Well it looks like you have a project anyway you go. Dont drill into the frame its never a good idea. You could mount them where the propane is & move to 1 tank in front of the battery's or build a rack to stack them in front of the tanks.

4. mjbeam

mjbeam New Member

If you can't mount them before your trip just keep them in your tow vehicle and take them out and hook them up at the camp site. They only need to be mounted on the frame for convenience.

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Why can't you drill into a frame?
    People drill into frames all the time. Sway control, WDH, remote brake boxes, propane tank plates, just to name a few, and no problems.
    If a few holes damage a frame and make it unsafe, I sure don't want it on the rear of my truck at 80 mph.

Rusty2192, crackerJack and The Bob like this.
  6. Hey im Jay

Hey im Jay Member

Also has anybody added a voltage meter on the outside of their popup trailer to keep track of volts ?

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I drill thru my frame when needed to mount something. The plywood frame will probably work, just make sure the plywood is weather proof (IE: Pressure treated) if you screw the boxes down to the plywood put some carped in the bottom so the screws do not punch a hole in the battery bottoms. Welding some angle iron would work too. Good Luck and Happy Camping

MaeKay likes this.
  8. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

cut off my swing away top spin jack and mounted a solid sidewinder jack in front near the coupler. I had a couple pieces of angle iron welded on the frame to mount a dual 6v box, then painted.
    8E598907-D1C1-4927-9DEE-E62BB0614FC3.jpeg

Fless likes this.
  9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Same dilemma here. I'm a mediocre welder and losing one propane tank would make it easy, but I'm not ready for that yet.

MaeKay likes this.
  10. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Member

Noco makes a box that holds two 6v batteries and might be easier then trying to mount two small boxes. The larger box is much thicker materiel and should hold up better then the small boxes.
    NOCO HM426 Dual 6-Volt Commercial Grade Battery Box for Automotive, Marine and RV Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAUG5A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vVrSAbENS891T

11. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

If you think it's OK to haul a trailer at 80 MPH I can understand why you think it's OK to mess with the structural components of your trailer.

sawdusty and NMroamer like this.
  12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I can't tell ya why but I have been told many times by people a lot smarter than I to never cut or drill into a frame unless you are adding more support and from what I have seen camper frames are not very strong there for I don't believe its a good idea. U bolts are an easy way to avoid drilling holes.

sawdusty likes this.
  13. myride

myride Well-Known Member

I'd either bolt/weld a second set of angle irons in front of propane, treated wood bottom and then mount the boxes back to back lengthways on new perch. The angle iron will add any support you "may" lose by drilling the holes. That would only require a 22" = 10.5 x2 width (allowing some wiggle room with tops) and a depth of 15" again...allowing some wiggle room for tops.

14. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Jay, from your photo it looks to me as though the propane tray has been mounted on the rails that on most trailers are used to mount battery boxes. I think I see four little spots on the tray that could be the heads of bolts securing the tray to the rails. See if you can move the propane tray forward and attach it to the frame by welding or with screws or nuts and bolts. I would set everything in place (tray, tanks, battery boxes on the rails) before attaching anything to be sure there is clearance and the hoses and wires all reach the necessary connections. From the photo it looks as though you may need to be careful about clearance for your knuckles on the tongue jack crank handle. You might have to extend some wiring, or replace the hoses.

On my trailer when I switched from one propane tank to two I attached the tray to the frame using self drilling screws, spacing the screws as far apart as possible. Four of the same type screws were used to attach each battery box to the rails, with a washer under the screw head to spread the load on the plastic box. I placed two pieces of wood latch in the bottom of each box to separate the battery cases from the screw heads. I like the advice above about using a scrap of carpet to get the same result.

Good Luck! Let us know how you solved the problem.

15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I use angle brackets from Home Depot to extend the exciting mount when I added a second battery to my PopUp. Just make sure you can still deploy the bed supports and use the tongue jack before you make it permanent. I later covered them with black duct tape to give them a finished look.

2016-10-16 12.06.09.jpg

In my case the angle brackets were just put on top of and bolted to the existing brackets. The bolts being the same ones which hold the battery boxes down. You would have to weld or bolt them on top of the tongue. I say on top because you said you need two batteries. If you go under the tongue as the propane bracket current is located, you may only have room for one battery. And you may be able to use "U" bolts to mount them to the tongue thus avoiding having to drill into the frame.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    lucky13don, MaeKay and jnc like this.
  16. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

17. Hey im Jay

Hey im Jay Member

Thank you all