Need Help Finding Lake Tahoe Accommodations

Discussion in 'California' started by cmj685, Mar 14, 2019.

1. cmj685

cmj685 New Member

Friends,
    We are back to camping (and popup portal) after about 10 years of taking care of mom and being unable to travel or vacation. So glad to be back! I wanted to lead a small group of 3 families out to Lake Tahoe this coming September 2019 to introduce one of the families to camping, but was disappointed to find that it is already very late in the reservation process and most everywhere is already reserved out. Anyone who knows that part of the country have some counsel on what to do at this "late" date to find a campground (without spending a fortune each night)? We also wanted to take our ATVs out and ride, so we wouldn't be opposed to being near ATV trails. But right now the urgent request is to find a campground that isn't already reserved out for September. Thanks!
    Mike

2. drocks

drocks Member

The City of South Lake Tahoe run Campground by the Lake in South Lake Tahoe. Here's their website:

http://www.cityofslt.us/270/Campground-by-the-Lake

There is also a KOA located a few miles away in the same area. As you are finding, campsites get booked up fairly fast due to demand. ReserveAmerica also covers most of the US Forest Service campgrounds in the area. There are several campgrounds just north of the lake in the Truckee area that you might have a better chance of getting a reservation, you would just have to drive about 10 miles to get to the lake.

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Are you looking for Lake Tahoe in particular? Or just in the Sierras in that region?

If the latter, look at ElDorado National Forest at Ice House Reservoir and Union Valley Reservoir. Those are up highway 50.

You can try the Lakes Basin area - that's Tahoe National Forest and Plumas National Forest. Lots of campgrounds there around Bassetts Station out Highway 49.

None of these have hookup sites, but you'll be close to water if not right at the water. And there are enough campgrounds in the areas that you should be able to find something available.

For the national forest campgrounds, you want recreation.gov not reserveamerica.

4. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

If your into dispersed campsites, let me know and I can send you some safe bets off highway 88

5. Toedtoes

Unfortunately, cmj685 hasn't posted since March.

But if you are willing to share, I'd love to get some safe bets. I'm starting to look at boondocking as a way to get out more often.

6. cmj685

cmj685 New Member

Still here Toedtoes...haven't died yet. Been out of the country and just back yesterday. Don't write me off yet!

7. Toedtoes

Glad to see you back!

8. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

These are the pins I sent to cmj685. These three roads are as safe as bets as I know of in this part of the country :)

38.686217, -119.927979--this is probably your best bet for availability, beauty and access. All along this road is some quality dispersed camping. Where that pin is an area that can hold up to about 6 RVs and the two times I've camped here, I've thought no one else would camp here its packed, but it works and doesn't feel crwoded!

38.698795, -119.966247--I have not camped off this road, but I am told similar to above.

38.767000, -119.927826--Pin marks the turn off of burnside lake road. this is tucked into an area without good views, but if open will fit one rig and down the road within 50 yards are 2 more sites. View not as nice, but burnside lake is pretty cool place to hang out and fish.

9. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

You mention wanting to ATV. There is a LARGE campground at Cisco Grove exit (north west side of the freeway) that is big with the ATV crowd (has hookups). You go out the back of the campground and there are miles and miles of dirt roads and a few lakes up there as well. Elevation at the camp is about 6,200 ft and the lakes are up around 7-7,500'. Should be snow free through mid-October. This is about 20 minutes west of Truckee which is about 20 minutes from North Lake Tahoe. About 15 minutes east of Truckee are three lakes (Prosser, Bocca and Stampede) that are pretty good for fishing and you could ATV around there as well, I suppose. No hookups but water and pit toilets there. (IFAIK oops, was thinking IIRC while typing) AFAIK, you need "green stickers" on our ATV here in California to be on forest service land (which most of this is)

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

11. Toedtoes

@seapiner thanks. I think i'll check them out this summer!

12. Toedtoes

Oops my phone did a funky thing.