Need help....Reese receiver lock won't come off

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by JungleJim, Jun 5, 2014.

1. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I have a Reese receiver lock like this....
    [​IMG]
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reese-Towpower-5-8-in-Stainless-Steel-Pro-Receiver-Lock-7030200/202255022

We used a receiver hitch reducer last fall for our bike rack. I left the reducer on all winter.
    It didn't look too bad. I used a few squirts of WD-40 just to make sure.
    It unlocked without a problem. The center popped out. I thought "great!". But then when I went to pull the lock end off, it wouldn't come off. I've continued to wiggle, jiggle the center part... but it won't release.

Any idea on how I can get it to release?

2. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

had similar on mine, just about broke the key off in it, but with liberal amounts of penetrating lube, and a lot of patience, it came apart.

the next option was a blue tip wrench......

3. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

The key worked fine. I can push the center locking part in, then unlock it so it sticks out again. I've done that over and over and over. But something inside is not releasing, even thought it is "unlocked".

We are supposed to leave tomorrow after work for our first camping trip of the summer.

Maybe if I stop by a locksmith, they could help.

4. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Never used one of these but from the looks of it I'm thinking the ball bearings are not retracting which would allow the unit to come apart.

Penetrating lube like PB Blaster or liquid wrench may help free it up. Forget WD-40 it's really not all that good.

Have you tried tapping it with a hammer? If all else fails and you can get to it I would use a grinder on it and cut it off.

5. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

^exactly what I was thinking

6. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

It's amazing how versatile a blue tip wrench is, lol.

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Try this... it's worth a shot. Lock it all back up. Get a good hammer and give it a good hard whack or two on the lock end of the pin. Then try unlocking. That may free up the mechanism inside enough to disengage. Try not to smash it.

If that doesn't work, smash it, cut it, grind it, do whatever you need to do to get it off and get on the road. You may have to go buy another 5/8" pin, but it beats losing a weekend camping.

Good luck! [MOD]

8. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Active Member

Drive it backwards into a solid cement wall over and over until you shear the pin off. Just kidding.
    If it were mine I'd blast brake cleaner into any opening (brake, or carb, cleaner cans come with a straw for this purpose). Grinding is the nuclear option and not a pretty task. I'd avoid that. Also avoid using a torch if your vehicle has a gas tank, but a heat gun might help. More than likely road grit has found its' way inside. Insert the key and rotate it back and forth. Keep us informed as to what worked.

9. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I'm going to bed.

I'm a teacher and it's "work day" tomorrow. The high school has a career and tech center attached to it. I might give one of the auto tech guys a call and see what they might have.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I appreciate it.

10. dcel

dcel New Member

I have a similar pin. It doesn't have the ball bearing on the end of the main shaft, but it is o-ring sealed. It sure is sticky though, and doesn't want to come off sometimes. I use a pry bar (the flat type used for removing nails) and it pops right off.

[​IMG]

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

8lb maul....Semtex....

12. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Took it to a locksmith today. They tried a few things, but ended up cutting it off with a Dremel.
    Due to the design of the receiver, there was limited space to work with....thus perfect for the Dremel.

Decided to not drive down tonight and arrive after 10:00 PM. We will drive down early in the morning (probably leave about 5:00 AM, so we can arrive in time for canoeing!). The tires are all aired up. It is hitched up. Hopefully we won't forget too many things!!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

13. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Receiver Lock

14. daveman

daveman Member

Funny! I just had to grind the same lock off the Santa Fe today....all the PB Blaster I could get in there wouldn't loosen it up... [:D]

15. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

These things tend to give up when a long pry bar is used. We do it quite often on used cars.

16. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

So, I bought one of those a while back when they were on sale. I think I got it for $6 or something like that. I didn't need it, but thought for that price, "what the heck?" So now the question is, do I use it, or find the receipt and take it back? I always have used a regular 5/8 pin with a pad lock snapped into the slightly enlarged hole where the hairpin is supposed to fit. Never had a problem with it, but like I said for $6, I thought I'd go for it.

17. Phranc

Phranc New Member

they work well enough. If it has the two balls in the shaft end, then a little lube sprayed on now and again helps. Also, don't use it for a permanent decoration. Like Groucho said, " I love my cigar, but I take it out once in a while!"