Need help rewiring

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Breadbox, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Our pup was the victim of a not-so-handyman. A PO took out most of the 12V system, which I'm trying to put back in. He also added a 12V power lift (a truck winch mounted to the tongue and hooked to the lift cables) that doesn't connect to anything so I have to use jumper cables to raise and lower the roof. I think he wired it directly to the converter and burnt out the 12V half. So to that end, I've got a new converter which I have gotten someone who knows what they're doing to install. I want to rewire all the things he cut off and install a few new things as well before the new converter is put in so all the wiring will be right there. However I don't quite know how to do that. Here's what I need to do.

1. Battery. I have a new battery and box that will be mounted on the tongue. I need a positive and negative cable to run from it. The positive goes to the converter, the negative goes where?

2. Ghetto Power Lift. At the moment I have a + and a - wire that stick out of the crank door. I want to wire it directly to the battery with an inline fuse and a 3 position switch. Positive should go from the battery, through the fuse, through the switch to the winch, correct? Again, where does the negative go? Also, how do I find out how many amps the winch is pulling so I can get the correct fuse?

3. Water pump. He also removed the blue water system. The pump is laying under one of the benches with two cut off wires coming from it. It needs to go from the converter, through a switch to the pump. The water system is the next project after the electrical system so I want the pump installed correctly before I tackle that.

4. Radio. We bought a marine radio made for self contained units. I can wire the speakers, but I need to know how to hook the radio into the converter.

5. 12V Outlet. My wife wants an outlet to charge her phone. I've got a cigarette lighter type outlet. What needs to go where to make it work?

6. LED light. I want a light by the door so I can see inside to set up. I haven't bought this yet, but it may need to be wired with a switch.

We outlined all this to the parts guy at the RV dealer and the converter we bought will handle the power needs. I'm going to get a roll of black wire for positive and a roll of white for negaitve and an assortment of connectors. What gauge wire should I be looking for?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Please tell us about your converter (Brand and model) and winch controls/connections. Sometimes winches flip the positive and ground connections to change direction. I would keep the winch connected to the battery and away from the converter.

3. marcham

marcham New Member

You can use this as a baseline example ...

[​IMG]

The ground runs from the battery throughout the trailer, connecting each appliance. Depending on where your converter is, the ground doesn't have to go to the converter then to the appliances, if there are appliances between the converter and the battery, they can tap in to the ground. The converter should probably also be grounded to the chassis as close as possible.

Some circuits need a safety switch so that when the PUP is closed, nothing will overheat (interior lights and furnace disabled).

4. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

The converter is sitting in its box in the pup, which is still closed up. Anyway, I just need to get the wires to it, I'm having them all hooked up by someone who knows what they're doing. As for the winch, it has no markings on it at all and just two wires that control it. It does work by reversing polarity though. I hook the positive jumper cable up to the negative wire and negative to positive to lower the roof.

5. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Some of the 12V system is still there. The interior lights, the pump for the casette toilet and the porch light are all 12V and work fine. The battery wires and the water pump wires have been cut off at the converter. As I said, I think he wired the winch into the converter and caused problems. I'm keeping it on its own seperately fused circuit that will connect directly to the battery.

6. kpthook

kpthook New Member

On the winch, if there is no label to see what brand or max current draw is you can kind of judge by the wire size coming out of the motor. The best way would be an amp meter capable of at least 30 amps DC.

You need to wire a reversing switch using a DPDT (double pole, double throw) center off.

If the current draw is more then 15-20 amps you would need to probably go to a hi current relay setup.