Need help - right tire runs significantly hotter than left without using breaks.

world traveler

Oct 23, 2015
Hello, my trailer right tire runs hot, even without any brakes applied. We tried to repack the bearings without any changes. Replaced the bearings and magnets - same result. Did a 20 mile loop on the freeway without breaks and right tire was 10 degrees Celsius higher than left, and hot while left was warm. Outside temp is in the 80s now. I am not sure what to do at this point. We have a trip coming up and no shops available for the next couple months.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Since you have checked, packed and adjusted wheel bearings already, you’ll need to check brake adjustment and make sure that side doesn’t have excessive drag. You should also check tire pressure and tire age/ condition.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
How hot is hot? Can you put your hand on it and it feels hot, or is it like burning hot where you can't touch it? My hubs are not all the same temps, but they are not burning hot. As mike said, check the brake ajustment, pressure and tires, make sure the tires are the same, and are stright. The weight on the inside may also be a factor if say the sink and such are on the side that gets hotter.

JiffyPopJunkie

Jun 5, 2014
LG Region NY
I agree with above. Check tire pressure 1st and then jack up that side and turn the wheel by hand to look for drag. Is there any weird tire wear or feathering on the tread? Who knows, you may have hit a pot hole or something and bent the spindle a bit (hopefully not)

world traveler

Oct 23, 2015
Since you have checked, packed and adjusted wheel bearings already, you’ll need to check brake adjustment and make sure that side doesn’t have excessive drag. You should also check tire pressure and tire age/ condition.
Right tire spins slower than the left. This tire was replaced end of May this year - one spot was very worn out and we though it could be a defective tire. Tire pressure was checked before the ride and it was per manufacture instructions. How do we adjust individual tire break? Do not see any adjustments on it.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Ok when it spins slower, is that because of the pads rubbing or did you over tighten the castle nut? Since you had a tire fail in that spot allready, you have a problem. Since its been running hot , i suspect you have to repack the berring again and check for damage. Did you repack the berrings before the other tire failed or after?

KeizerTrailer

Aug 31, 2020
Keizer, OR
Based off of what I have read here so far, you have excess friction in the right hub, either from dragging brakes or a castle nut that is too tight. I would reset the castle nut just to be sure, then readjust the brake shoes on that side. A couple clicks is all it can take.

world traveler

Oct 23, 2015
How hot is hot? Can you put your hand on it and it feels hot, or is it like burning hot where you can't touch it? My hubs are not all the same temps, but they are not burning hot. As mike said, check the brake ajustment, pressure and tires, make sure the tires are the same, and are stright. The weight on the inside may also be a factor if say the sink and such are on the side that gets hotter.
Hot that I can barely touch it but not keep my finger on it. And that is just after 20 miles run on highway with no breaks applied. The other side is warm that I can keep my finger on it.

world traveler

Oct 23, 2015
Ok when it spins slower, is that because of the pads rubbing or did you over tighten the castle nut? Since you had a tire fail in that spot allready, you have a problem. Since its been running hot , i suspect you have to repack the berring again and check for damage. Did you repack the berrings before the other tire failed or after?

That makes sense. We repacked the bearing just last week and took it for a ride, then replaced with new bearing and took it for a ride. Same result - hot tire. I will check for the adjustment screw on the back, thank you.

Last edited:

world traveler

Oct 23, 2015
Based off of what I have read here so far, you have excess friction in the right hub, either from dragging brakes or a castle nut that is too tight. I would reset the castle nut just to be sure, then readjust the brake shoes on that side. A couple clicks is all it can take
I can wiggle the castle nut a little by hand - is that loose enough?

world traveler

Oct 23, 2015
That makes sense. We repacked the bearing just last week and took it for a ride, then replaced with new bearing and took it for a ride. Same result - hot tire. I will check for the adjustment screw on the back, thank you.
Found the screw. Do you always move screwdriver up to tighten and down to loosen the breaks? I moved it almost all the way down, then couple clicks up, and it still spins slower than the left wheel. Connected the trailer to the car and the breaks almost do not affect the right wheel. Tried the breaks with the left wheel and it stops completely. Is thee anything else I can do?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Only thing I can think of is to disinguage the break compleatly for that tire and see what happens. I am out of ideas.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Found the screw. Do you always move screwdriver up to tighten and down to loosen the breaks? I moved it almost all the way down, then couple clicks up, and it still spins slower than the left wheel. Connected the trailer to the car and the breaks almost do not affect the right wheel. Tried the breaks with the left wheel and it stops completely. Is thee anything else I can do?
the traditional answer is that whatever direction you guess, it goes the other way. I have given up trying to figure it out, especially as my trailer brakes and TV parking brakes have differet orientations.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Were both side's brake shoes replaced with same brand etc at the same time the last time that you did replace them?

on my TV a supposedly-correct after market parking brake shoe had an incorrect end detail rendering braking almost non-existent. It took me years to find this out.