Need help with Rockwood screen door.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by smoreking, May 5, 2012.

1. smoreking

smoreking Member

Can somebody please help me with the screen door on my Rockwood 2270 door? I bought last year from a guy who didn't know a lot about the camper. I think that the hard part of the door that covers the screen is wrong somehow. I'm talking about the part that slides up and down to open the window or expose the screen. I have to be really careful when letting the top part down because if I drop it it goes down too far and gets stuck behind bottom section. I think that one of the two panels is in backwards or there would be some kind of lip to stop the top one from going down too far. The two panels are kind of rigid or textured on one side and very smooth on the other. One of the panels is backwards. I THINK that the textured side should be facing out but I need help. Also, the entire door is screen but I can't figure out how to get the bottom section to move (can't see tabs). Any help will be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. smoreking

smoreking Member

Anybody know anything about any of this? I know it seems like it would be easy to figure out but I can't. The top panel is really loose and the bottom won't budge. I can't even see any way to unlock the bottom but the whole door is screen so I'm sure it comes out.

3. robctry69

robctry69 New Member

if i go camping this weekend i will look at mine and see if i can help out

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Hard to see in the photo, but maybe added a poprivet to the lower frame to act as a stop would work.

5. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

I have a Rockwood, It looks okay to me. The bottom does not move, just the top. You should be able to move the solid panel on top by sliding in the two tabs and lower to expose screen. The tabs should be topside on the inside of the door. Is the door slightly bent and that is what is causing the difficulty?

6. smoreking

smoreking Member

Thanks for the feedback. Mercman the top panel is very loose. Maybe I will try a small screw or something to keep it from going down too far if dropped. My son tried to let it down last week and it slipped out of his hands and went behind the bottom panel. It was very hard to get out. I pulled the top piece of frame off trying to get it. That's when I noticed the felt-like weatherstripping across bottom of top panel was facing out toward screen instead of against other panel, so when I snapped it back together I turned it around. I really thought the bottom panel would come out too so the whole screen would be uncovered. There are even notches in the frame for tabs to go into but no tabs on that panel. Maybe some parts I have in this model are also used in other models with different options. Thanks for the help.

7. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

The bottom panel doesn't move at all? On mine, I can move both panels up or down.

8. smoreking

smoreking Member

No. I can't get the bottom to move at all. I don't see any locks or releases. I think something is wrong, I just can't figure out what. Erik, does your bottom panel have the tabs you pull in to unlock and slide it up or remove it?

9. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

On our Rockwood both panels move and can even be removed. Often when camping I take them out and lean them behind the (sink/stove) counter.

10. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

Yes, both parts on mine slide and have the latches. More often than not, I move the bottom one up so that it is easier to see if either of my children are right outside the door before I open it.

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

12. smoreking

smoreking Member

I need to open it agin this weekend and mess with it some more. I don't want to get to rough with it but sure looks like its supposed to move. I'm willing to bet its been put back in wrong. My pup was a one owner when I bought it but showed a few signs of neglect.

13. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Next time I have mine open, I'll take a look. Both of my panels move.

14. smoreking

smoreking Member

Thanks again, I haven't opened mine back up yet either. I need to get it out soon to prepare for "The Beach Week."

15. Xpress25

Xpress25 New Member

I checked mine last night and both do move, but the bottom one is a little stiffer than the top but I really dont move the bottom one that often.