Need ideas…Curtains for 5th wheel windows

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
My brother has asked If I could make curtains for his 5th wheel windows. He would prefer to still keep that decorative top part you see on most travel trailers. So I’m thinking the curtains will have to somehow hide up under that thing. Had anyone made something like this and if so how did you attach it?

Attachments

• 38180CAA-A103-47FC-ABA6-280C54D7AA68.jpeg
    38180CAA-A103-47FC-ABA6-280C54D7AA68.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 4

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Know a few people who have made curtains for ther TTs and HTTs. They just made them with a rod pocket ( think that's the term, you slide the rod or wire through the material ) and used a normal I beam type rod with short brackets so the valance could be reused.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
How much clearance is there under the valance? (The decorative thingie.)
We never had those in our trailer, but some of the Retro folk have and have replaced blinds with curtains. Often they seem to use tension rods, with a rod pocket on the curtain. My only question is how well the tension rods hold on the road.
Our Retro had curtains to start, using standard cafe rods - small rod that has a hanger clip on the ends. Again it has a rod pocket at the top, and the fabric just slides on the rod, with tie-backs to hold it open more. I made the first set of replacement curtains, which were find , except too dark (they absorbed to much interior light at night and didn't give enough insulation). I ordered room darkening ones from Amazon for the current set.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I'd do Roman shades and attach them to the front of the valance furring them back to the proper closeness to the window if needed. If the valance is cardboard or something, velcro 'em to just above the window.

Beatrice

Jan 18, 2021
Bedford county, PA
If they are like the ones in my tt, they are fastened to the wall with "L" type brackets so you can take them down while you are hanging the new curtains. I just used a regular, cheap curtain rod from walmart -- there was plenty of clearance -- and then put the valance back up.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Thanks for your ideas. I’m going to drive to my brothers seasonal place this weekend with a test tension rod and curtain. According to my brother I have 3” to play with inside the valance. I don’t think the tension rods would hold up with the camper bouncing down the road, however his unit lives at a seasonal site right now. The hard part is convincing my brother cheap existing curtains hemmed to fit his windows is way better and cheaper idea then buying a ton of expensive fabric and making it from scratch.