Need ideas: Porch instead of original Step ?????

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by GCHIKER, Aug 9, 2012.

1. GCHIKER

GCHIKER New Member

The factory pull-out step is too shallow.
    Looking for alternative lightweight "porch" or "stool" that would be wider and deeper (maybe 2'x2')
    Either hooked to frame right underneath door with 2 adjustable legs at other end, or, free standing with 4 adjustable legs.

I keep thinking I've seen something like this in a performing arts production or band room. Just don't remember.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Fire Captain Jim

Fire Captain Jim New Member

Camping world and ebay sell adjustable leg porch steps. Some have 3 differnt leg sizes.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

4. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I too want more than just the one step. I've looked at the porch steps but I would like to remove the one step and mount a two step in it's place. Waiting on Forest River to get back to me on that advice. Hopefully it can be done to our camper, since it sits kinda higher than other PUs. I'm thinking that the porch step wouldn't work on sites that are not level. And I've been in a many sites that are like that. Good luck on what you decide to do. :)

Campit

5. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

If you want to go with the "band room" look you remember, try Wenger Corp. You're thinking of a conductor's podium. They run about 3' square, and usually have carpeting on the top.

6. Grizzlytaco

Grizzlytaco New Member

I didn"t like our step either so i made this step instead,,,,

[​IMG]

it stores in the PU and you can put stuff in when upside down
    [​IMG]

7. Tonimus

Tonimus Member

If you don't need a lot of height off of the ground, maybe 6-8 inches, you could always use a pallet. I was going to build a full deck with pallets for my mother's RV before they got one second hand. a 4'x3.4' pallet is still pretty portable.

8. Buickdad

Buickdad New Member

I really like the step you made, Grizzly. Very smart use of it when traveling. I may try that because out '77 Venture doesnt even have a step and kids will have a hard time getting in and out.

9. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

After I put my axle under the springs for more ground clearance I have been using the same step as KITPHANTOM. It is very sturdy. [8D]

10. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

Shoulda bought a Coleman.....that step door is about 2x2

11. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

A Coleman Grand Tour series. Don't think any of the Destiny series came with them. I could be wrong but I know our Bayport only has a single step although I wish it had a stepper platform.

Good luck with your step issue. I look forward to seeing what you end up with.

12. Grizzlytaco

Grizzlytaco New Member

Here's a couple more pics of my step. Its 22" x 18" and 9" high. The step on the PU just isn't sturdy and when you step on it the PU moves, so that when i decieded to build my step. I used a 2x8 and a piece of pine i had laying around the garage and my neighbor gave me the piece of carpet i tacked down. Took about an hour to make.

Its as high as my other step was, now just more sturdy
    [​IMG]
    See how I put the brace in the center so not to break the top
    [​IMG]

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Not all of them, ours is a Coleman Cobalt. It only has one step, which was dangerously slick in some situations. However, our previous pup didn't have a step at all, and the Rubbermaid stool we used for years was not the most steady in some settings. We still use that at home, the better step is overkill here.

14. ricko

ricko Member

This may sound a little kooky, but what about the 'apple boxes' photographers use in portrait studios? They're cheap (relatively), come in multiple heights for those campsites that aren't always level and stack neatly to store.

Just a thought

Ricko

15. arffch

arffch Member

Campit, please let us/me know what forest river says. I have a 2280 also and a short wife 4'10" which makes the steps "taller", also looking at making steps deeper to make it easier to exit the pup.

16. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sure, as soon as they get back to me or I'll probably have to call them back...either way, I'll let you know. Hopefully they'll say it's okay to mount a two step and steer me to one that's compatible with the 2280.

Campit

17. GCHIKER

GCHIKER New Member

Grizzly, I think you've got it. At least for me that is.
    Love the multi-purpose. And after I mount the Bal-leveler outside, I'll have the entry way to store the step/box.

Thanks