Need more space!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jj40, Jul 3, 2017.

1. jj40

jj40 New Member

What is the best way to manage the clutter with all the luggage and clothes that take up the space inside the camper? It seems as if we run out of space as soon as we bring them inside which makes us feel pretty cramped in there.

2. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

It all depends on the layout of your camper. Personally, I use sterlite drawers that set on top of our only small counter. It's a perfect fit and everyone gets a drawer, with one left over that I use for toiletry kits or overflow clothes. We use a pop up hamper for dirty clothes that usually ends up in the back of the tow vehicle. I also use homemade organizers on the poles for misc stuff-keeps it contained and up and out of the way.

Attached Files:

3. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Luggage? I take a small duffel bag. Do you really need everything you take? Yes, the pup is "your home away from home" but it really isn't your HOME. Try taking less even if there several children involved who require the extra clothes, toys, etc. Use bins, and hanging organizers, etc. as stated. Keep things you need only occasionally in the TV. Invest in a screen room or a tent to provide extra storage space.

4. jj40

jj40 New Member

I wrote luggage but what we take,are duffle bags, it just seems like they are always being moved from one side to another and end up in the way. We don't have much counter space and the little we have is used by the food bin. Just wanted some ideas to see what can we do to improve our space since our pup is not too big. I like the idea of the tent outside for storage!

5. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Now, there are usually just two of us in a large pup, so we just use the spare bunk, but before that we had a few things we did that helped.

First, we have wire bins that stack on one another. We have four, and everyone got one. By the time we got them we were down from a total of eight of us [some in an auxiliary tent].

Second, we would only bring in a few days clothes at a time. We were never organized enough to combine everyones clothes in one duffel, but using smaller duffels and refilling them, made it lighter and easier to move them around.

Third, we often camp in cold weather so need a lot of outer garments in various layers. We kept [and still keep] extra garments in the TV. Dirty clothes also ended up in the TV.

Finally, we did a lot of shifting. Duffels, ditty bags, book bags were on our bunks during the day and shifted to under the dinette bed, or on the sofa at night.

6. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

My girls are each allowed one carry-on sized bag or backpack in the trailer, plus small items like a book to read. Anything else stays home, or in the tow vehicle.

7. jj40

jj40 New Member

Thank you all for the tips, we just got back from a 3 night trip and with 2 little ones a teenager and us we were struggling with space. I figured I reached out for advise. You are all very helpful as always!

8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I also use the sterilite drawers and just went and bought more recently. Use the big ones as dresser drawers for clothes. Will be using a tall narrow stack for food next time. I found I hate having a bin for food because I'm always digging for stuff. We have a long counter (no sofa) so plenty of room for the drawers!

9. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Ditto sterlite drawers, though each of us gets a set of three. Four sets fit on one of the counters and we use the non-slip drawer liner on top of the counter to prevent them from sliding off.

We also have a roof-top carrier on the TV as the back of the TV is where the dogs travel so space there is limited.

Once we're on site though can store a lot in the back of the TV (all the food and the totes that came out of the camper for example).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

For food storage we use the wire shelving mod above the sink and use those cube bins on the top shelf to keep it organized. That might free up the counter space for clothes storage??

11. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

RDWRER, those homemade organizers are adorable. It appears your large sterlite drawer stack should work for jj40 since the '95 Coleman Utah also has limited counter space.

12. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Keep looking here. There will be more ideas in other parts of the forum too. The key for us was to figure out how little we had to haul to be comfortable. We also use sterlite drawer stacks. Some families keep clothes in the tow vehicle and take only the next day's outfits to the camper at night. With 5 in you family, you might fine it easier to eat meals at the picnic table and leave the beds as beds. With a few more trips you will figure out what works for you.

The '95 Coleman Utah has a huge dinette. Are you able to sleep a child or two on it while it is still in the dinette configuration?

13. jj40

jj40 New Member

Sotovoce, the dinette has two tables, a small and a regular size. My youngest sleeps there but we convert it to a bed if not it's too small with the little table. I'm going to see if I can open up some space under the sofas to store our clothing. Thanks again!

14. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Thanks! I helps a ton to be able to put all the little stuff in one spot-Kindle, earbuds, playing cards, Kleenex, iPhone, bottle of water, book.... They are so useful and cost me nothing (used old jeans to make them).

15. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

This was one thing that always drove the wifely one nuts about the pups. She was always rearranging things and couldn't just leave things be. Clothes stayed in suitcases or bags and moved from beds to benches depending on time of day. Food stayed in back of Suburban till we needed it, since we generally cooked outside that was actually a convenient place. Towels and bath stuff was stored under the dinette benches.

Thus got a little easier with the Roo-ster, but clothes were still in bags/suitcases and transfered from bed to sofa every night. It just always seemed like a never ending battle.

Now we have a full walk in closet and dresser so no more extra bags. When the "kids" come with we bought a foot stool for the that they keep their bags in. If they bring more than fit in it then they go in the bottom of the pantry.