Need new tires TV

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Sjm9911, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok all , so im winding down, and getting to know my TT. Only a few issues left unsolved. Sidwall sway on the TV. As far as i can tell i have the oem p rated tires on my TV. When driving i feel like the TT is swaying, but it isnt. I feel that im getting some rear sidewall sway in my tires. This could be compounded by my break issues ( see other thread). But with a long haul ahead, figure i need to get some real LT tires. How big should i go, some say 10 ply. That might be overkill. TT is about 4300 dry, 6000 max. Probubly packed around 5000 lbs. Advice, weights, tire recommendations. I figure like a general grabber lt tire. I think any thing lt is better than what i got.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Not sure what you have (and this question is going to yield 500,000 answers/ opinions). Switching to an LT certainly won't hurt... you will pay a little more and probably sacrifice some ride quality... but I sure don't see it being necessary. Owning a similar truck, I will offer my opinion and my experience... I took off brand new Good Year's and put on Hankook RF10's (new model is RF11). More traction, smoother, quieter ride and no issues towing a similar size/ weight trailer. It's a tire I recommend to a lot of my customers and have had no complaints or issues. FWIW of course.

J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I'm running BFG KO2's on my ram and love them. I keep them aired up to 45 psi year round. .

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Are your current tires the oem tires? You could air them up 5 to 10 psi.. aee if it helps.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Yes there the original oem.

6. Sjm9911

Dont want to chance it with a 1200 mile run to disney. Ill just spring for the lt tires.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Go with the LT tires. And air them up about 5-psi over the door sticker.. Be a harsher ride but the tires wont build as much heat..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I had switched from P's to a LT load range D some time ago. And for inflation, I go with whats on the sidewall, not the door sticker. If I went by the door sticker, the tires would be running 30 lbs low and I wouldn't gain a thing. The TPMS sensors were reprogramed to reflect the higher psi.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

My Tahoe pulling the TT with the Kelly ATs was fine. They are an LT Tire, not a load range E. Fleet Farm had a set at the buy three get one deal. New shoes ahoy!

Now my NTM Suburban runs the BFG KOs and they are a tough tire.

IF it is hard to bite the larger cost tires, maybe just changing the rears now, catch the fronts after tax season and you're covered for next year.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

The kos look nice , but a little too aggressive. I still have a jeep for off roading.

J Starsky likes this.
  11. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Honest, I didn't pick them, they were on the truck as I bought it - but they do ask my old MTRs "are you tire enough for a jeep?" The BFGs are surprisingly quiet, but aggressive as you said.

upload_2019-9-25_7-32-42.png

upload_2019-9-25_7-34-35.png

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We changed from the original tires on our '17 Silverado 1500 just before our Labor Day trip. No issues with feeling sway with the TT, but they were reaching end of life and not the best for some of the roads we encounter. We went with the same tires we have on the 4Runner, since we've been pleased with those, Michelin mud and snow.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

They are also winter rated if you get a discount on your insurance for having snow tires..

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Stay away from the Micheline Defenders terrible treadwear life. Got less than 40000kms on our pathfinder.
    Really impressed by the Hancook ones not sure the model.

15. gec66

gec66 Active Member

OP, I'm in the tire business and as long as you stay with a tire that was designed for a truck rather than one that was really designed for a car or even crossover you'll be fine. The General Grabber HTS 60 is a great tire that fits that description and of course there are others. If you give me your tire size I'll give you some options. IMO a 10 ply tire is overkill and you won't be happy with it when not towing. The right tire bumped 5 lbs when towing will do just fine.

16. Sjm9911

20190923_111312.jpg
    This is for a 2012 gmc sierra, crew cab( the one with 4 doors, short bed , midsize engine, tow package and better gear sizing. Ty.

17. gec66

gec66 Active Member

In that size there was not a better value coming up than the General Grabber HTS 60. The Good Year Wrangler Fortitude HT is also a good choice as is the Continental TerrainContact H/T, but not worth $20 more a tire IMO. The Grabber HTS 60 also has a $70 rebate gift card through the end of September. I'm not familiar with the Hankook RF11 suggestion posted earlier so that may be worth considering if it's reasonably priced.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. joet

joet Well-Known Member

20. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

They keep trying to cut down on the volatile organic compounds (VOC) in the rubber products to meet government mandates, or pay fines. Call them "Green" tires. Chinese are not restricted on what VOC or the quantity they use.