Need Opinion on best portable toilet

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Scott A Pratt, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Scott A Pratt

Scott A Pratt New Member

what is the best portable toilet out there for a popup

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

"Best" is relative and depends on who is answering. For some "best" is the most basic, least expensive model they can find but for others like me an electric flush model like the Thetford Curve or it's current replacement the Thetford 565E is "best". Depends also on how deep you want to dig into your wallet. ;)

https://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-curve/

This aside, some get by fine with a porta potti that has just a 2 - 2.5 gal waste tank but I much prefer at least 5 gals. Keep in mind that a PP with a larger waste tank will be taller and may not fit your porta potti cabinet OR will fit only if the cabinet is modified.

The first porta potti I bought years ago (when I didn't know any better) also had no waste tank spout - BIG mistake. [:!] Make sure whatever you buy does have a waste tank spout. ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Raycfe and Orchid like this.
  3. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Like GreyFox said, personal preference and space availability.

Personally, we got one like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jaxpety-...door-Camping-Toilet-Potty-Cool-Gray/276740606

Easy to empty and clean and a large enough waste tank that we didn't have to empty it often.
    We got this one while we were still tent camping.
    It also does not use a battery to flush, so VERY simple and easy.

Our pup came with a toilet, which I like, but it isn't a thetford, so doesn't have the removable waste tank, it has a black water tank. Which means we need to have a "honey pot" that we empty the black water and grey water into, then haul that to the dump station to empty. We also make a stop at the dump station on our way out of the campground. Not a big deal, but a bit more work than the previous portapotty.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

We have THIS one because it stores under the table when it is folded down.

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The best one is the one that fits in your portapotty cabinet. Have extra room in case you go over a mountain pass (guessing you will, based on your location). They can swell at altitude. :eek:

HappyTraveler likes this.
  6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Thetford Curve is what we have and I recommend it.

7. GreyFox

8. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

We had a Thetford 260B. It was good, small, easy to use, easy to clean... served us well for 3 years. Invaluable to our family to avoid bathroom runs in middle of night or first thing in morning. Easily lasted our family of four on 3-4 day trips with heavy use or 6-7 day trips used strategically (heavy at first, then sparingly as it filled). Wife and I typically pottied only, but were fine with the kids deucing. I see that unit has been replaced with the 135 and 335, so I would be confident with either of those in my PUP now instead.

9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Haha now there's a name that will stick in my memory. Looks to be identical though.

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

11. GreyFox

And no waste tank spout. [:(O]

12. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

13. GreyFox

True, but you obviously don't have to wait until a larger 5 gal waste tank is completely full before emptying it. A porta potti with a larger waste tank does give you greater flexibility as to when to empty it and allows the toilet seat to sit at a normal toilet height, about 17". Both advantages in my experience. [A]

PointyCamper likes this.
  14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Best depends on space, personal preferences, etc. We opted to use a gel-filled bag system with both popups. Since the toilet folded, it was easier to transport in the tiny (6') and small (8') pups. The first toilet we had was a Reliance, but it was a bit low for my bad back. The PETT/Go-Anywhere/Cleanwaste brand is the height of a residential toilet, so was a better choice for me.
    I found good deals on the bags online, so had plenty, and bought extra Poo Powder from Amazon. The first year we had the toilet, the bags were difficult to find for some reason, I was on a 3-week cross country trip, so the extra powder could be used in any trash bag; it also handy to add extra at times. We now have a flush toilet in the TT, but keep the bags on hand if we miscalculate the black tank capacity - hasn't happened yet, even on a 10-night stay, but it's nice to have a back-up. We also use them if we take the trailer out winterized, and they go along on back country hikes, where carry-it-out regs include poo. [Also nice to have on some driving tours, where bushes, let alone restrooms, can be few and far between.] We keep them in the house in case the water goes out, which hasn't happened since we began to keep them.
    Since I solo quite a bit, the waste bags were easier for me to deal with than trying to dump a porta-potty. Again my bad back was an factor in that choice.

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That is simultaneously good and bad. The last portable toilet I had to haul to dump that had a swivel drain spout, leaked badly at the drain spout. There is a fixed spout of sorts on the back of it, and I would NOT want to dump a full 5 gallons from it, but I never let it get that full... It's really not difficult.

[​IMG]

16. GreyFox

The very first porta potti I ever bought was a VIP brand from Canadian Tire - it had no waste spout and I learned very quickly how easy it is to pour the tank contents all over my shoes. [:(O] [:(!] I replaced it with an electric flush Thetford 585 which did have a waste tank spout and never had any issues thereafter, either with the toilet itself or my shoes. [LOL]

17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I guess I am just more careful with sewage and my shoes.

Not saying it is a flawless method, or a perfect design, but I can empty this thing pretty easy. It does require being careful, but the swivel spout type are also prone to spillage as well if you aren't careful. I guess it is all about priorities.

18. GreyFox

Probably are. Maybe I'm that guy portrayed by Robin Williams in RV. [XX(] [LOL]

19. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Eh, dump spout or no, I am paranoid about spilling sewage on myself, so I an VERY careful when dumping.

I've never had it happen to me, but I have been in the park bathroom when a young fella was dumping his port o potty into the toilet by simply uncapping it without thinking about sewage and gravity. The results were dramatic. Mind you, I can fill my Coleman stove from the 1 gallon steel can without spilling a drop and not really thinking about it...

20. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

We remedied that little detail with a nicely constructed wooden box to sit it on.
    Turn it over and use it to carry extra supplies so you dont drop your TP in a puddle :D

dbhost and HappyTraveler like this.