Need Opinion on best portable toilet

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Scott A Pratt, Oct 13, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Trying to picture TP in a puddle... In a privy tent maybe, but even then, that takes some doing... Not that I haven't managed to do that though.

2. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Picture an overloaded person carrying/packing the camper.......ooops,

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We have this potti.

We used the Luggable Loo with kitty litter for the first year and a half, but having to set up the triple bags (I’m paranoid), dumping the tied off bags, and having to keep ourselves stocked with litter was a pain.

I finally broke down and bought the Campa Potti, and wondered why we didn't do this sooner. We were worried that the potti chemical might have a strong odor, that turned out not to be a problem. Right now we use it only for liquids. Sometime next month we'll try it for the other when we are a home — this way, if it doesn't go well, we aren't stuck in the pup with a fiasco.

The smaller tank is easy to manage; I wouldn't want to go any heavier. Also, we don't completely fill the top tank. We put in about a gallon of fresh water. If we run low on fresh water, that is a signal that it is time to dump the bottom tank.

PointyCamper likes this.
  4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That's probably something worth mentioning. The lower the capacity of the black tank, the shorter the seat height will be. I bought a 5 gallon model because the seat was within 1" of a standard residential toilet , actually if they made the seat as thick as a residential model it would be the same height, but I digress...

Filling the fresh tank with only 1 gallon is a great way to know it's time to dump, IF you want a lighter weight dump. For what it's worth, I may just try that routine. My goal is to have a reliable 3 days between needing to dump so I can get through a long weekend, and dump on my way out...

5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

You almost make me wish I had bought the 2.8 gallon model instead. I never let the 5 gallons get full, but I can see on a long trip letting it go until it gets there. I dread the idea of picking up a 5 gallon waste tank to dump.

Of worthy note, I have a bad back. I use one of those folding roller things like a light duty hand truck to move heavier things around camp when there is pavement or hard pack dirt. Makes hauling the waste tank MUCH easier on my back since it doesn't have wheels...