Need Recommendations - Camping in Ontario (Cambridge) for My 8 Year old son and I.

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by DOACanada, Jan 24, 2018.

1. DOACanada

DOACanada New Member

Hello All...

Well, I'm itching to get out there, can't wait for this winter weather to go away so I can get working on my pop-up, and then start hitting some weekend camping.

However - I'm looking for everyone's help and advise.

My son, and I (He's 8 years old) spent an extensive amount of time in our pop-up last year. Our big Father-son camping week saw us at the Pinery for a week (Nice place, highly recommend it even without having hydro or water)

We are in Cambridge, Ontario - So frequently go to Valens and Pinehurst Lake for weekend camping trips.

He and I both have our kayaks, and fishing gear, and usually bring our bikes along also. We love the outdoors.

I've owned my trailer for a year and a half (the First year I bought it halfway through the season so didn't use it too much, last year was our first full year, and we probably camped about 10 times)

What I'm looking for help on is where to go this year for our one-week summer vacation. We have gone to the following spots so far:
    * Valens Conservation Area
    * Pinehurst Lake Conservation Area
    * The Pinery
    * Darrien Lake

All of these have been fantastic, and honestly, we use Valens and the Pinehurst quite frequently for a weekend getaway trip.

I've considered heading North (Algonquin, or Muskoka) but have no idea of any good areas to go with the Pop-Up.

I'm open to most anything, but some of the necessities of the trip need to include:
    * Open Water for Kayaking
    * Good Fishing Spots
    * Bike Trails for Hiking or Biking

I'd prefer if the area had services sites (Hydro & Water) but it's not a necessity.

Any and all recommendations you could all offer would be great. I'd be willing to drive up to 3 hours away from Cambridge, Ontario in any direction.

Thank you for your suggestions and help in advance!!!!

FARfetched likes this.
  2. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Killbear P.P. is a must if you can book a site quick enough . Very popular park

3. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Mikisew PP near Sundridge is on a Great Lake for kayaking, although there are lots of shoals. It was originally a private park which was taken over by the province and expanded. The old section—which I prefer—has unserviced sites across the road from the lake, while the newer section in the Pines is serviced. Nice trails as well. F6436280-3169-4F97-95BA-270D9BFEC691.jpeg 4664055D-93BD-4A96-B90F-92B87B481259.jpeg

ccptbo and XKPin like this.
  4. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

We stayed in Canisbay Lake CG last summer for 5 days and loved it. Took the kids' bikes and the wife's kayak. It was recommended to take an extension cord as the power taps can be a bit far from the site and it was, glad we had the extension.

Plenty to do up there, fishing, kayaking, we ended up at the Algonquin Arts Center a few times doing one of their projects. They have the "guided" trails where you can borrow the guide book at the trail head or purchase them at the trail head or the Welcome Centers.

5. DOACanada

DOACanada New Member

Thanks everyone keep them coming!

6. Redbird934

Redbird934 Member

One of our favourite family trips was up to Tobomory to stay at the National park, then we took the ferry to Manitoulin which we LOVED and then drove up to Sudbury, which is a beautiful city and spent two days at Science North and the mine tour. My kids were 11, 8 and 2 at the time.

I can give more details if you are interested.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I dont kayak, so some of these places may not be the best for that but these are some great parks IMO..

Grundy, Canisbay, Mew Lake, Oastler, Silver Lake. all Provincial Parks.. If your heading back to the States there are Letchworth State Park and Watkins Glen State Parks in NY State, while there is no good location to kayak /in either park they are both great parks..

8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

All of the parks mentioned are nice. I would also add McGregor PP as well as Arrowhead PP. Also, we quite like Balsam Lake PP.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yes forgot those ones, lol .. Inverhuron, Craigleith and Point Farms are nice parks as well..

10. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We want to do Canisbay this year in August....I heard it's nice.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We did Thanksgiving there several years ago.. Filled the water tank at a filling station in Canisbay.. Problem is were the dump station is and the wait ..

12. Redbird934

Redbird934 Member

This is the campground we stayed at on Manitoulin, nicest private campground we have ever stayed at.
    http://www.manitoulin-island.com/providencebaypark/

13. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

For a smaller park (town park), Webster Town Park has a CG, can take the kayak either up to Lake Ontario or there is a large bay and the Ellison wetlands at the end of it. Can either fish the lake/bay or there are plenty of trout streams in the area as well.

Webster Park has plenty of hiking but it is just a town park, not a huge provincial or national park.

Webster, NY...east side of Rochester.

Keep in mind with the current US government shutdown, cannot book any US National Park CGs at this time.

14. DOACanada

DOACanada New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

15. CheekyRunner

CheekyRunner New Member

Rock Lake at Algonquin park is great for popups and especially kayaking (so many places to explore in a kayak) and fishing! As well as Canisbay, Lake of Two Rivers. Heck all of Algonquin is amazing! There are many hiking trails along the main road with a visitor center that is great for learning some facts about the park and animals. They also have a trail that has covers the history of logging in the park that has log buildings you can go in and explore as well as see some old machinery. And Beaver Pond trail is a must hike.

16. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

We did Canisbay Lake a few years ago and really liked it. Much nicer than Lake Of Two Rivers where we had previously camped a couple of times.

17. peter moyes

peter moyes Active Member

hello from whitby ..i have the same story, got my pup later in the summer ,,used it for 5 days total ,,also got a zodiac and a small motor ,i just went to darlington ,its very close to me maybe 25 mins ,,but i loved it .,it only has a bay off of the lake ,fishing abit away in newcastle ,its good fishing ,and boating ,,i cant wait for spring .i am a pup addict ;lol

18. peter moyes

peter moyes Active Member

hello from whitby ,,i am a real newbee .but already after just one 5 day trip and i am hooked ,going to darlington first day it opens .a whole week lol campsite 86 lakeside .i got a 2000 coleman sedona ,like new ,and a tired 2002 f150 ,300,000 klms .just wanna try everything out ,and get new rubber, and pack or change the bearings .then off to balsam lake or arrow head , roll on spring

19. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

If you're still collecting ideas for nearby locations, I had a great time at Wildwood Conservation Area a year or two ago. It’s near Stratford. While there’s a large seasonal contingent there, the overnight sites are in a separate area, and the sites are large, and most of them are grassy. Good hiking, and good water sports opportunities. I didn’t have my bike, but it looks like it would be great for MTB if you’re into that.

If you want to drive to get out, both nearby St. Mary’s and Stratford are neat little towns. You might check out some lawn bowling at the former, and take in a show at the latter, or just walk along the riverfront.

peter moyes likes this.
  20. Limmer

Limmer Member

Arrowhead would be my first choice. No motorized boats allowed on lake, decent fishing, big beautiful sites. Close enough to town for quick runs for for gotten essentials. Six mile lake is another fun one. Great lake (boats allowed though). Smaller park and the sites are hit or miss but great staff and small enough I can give my kids some freedom to walk to the store for a treat etc.