Need some advice for boondocking camping

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by campfire Joe, Mar 3, 2015.

1. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Generators have GFCI to protect you from electrocution. They are used in hurricanes, on construction sites and everywhere else. The manufacturer recommends they be outside due to the CO hazard. They necessarily must be able to operate in adverse conditions. I won't argue on Harbor Freight quality, but then again I try not to support forced labor in communist countries. I tend to spend a little more to buy quality and i rarely have to replace tools. Read the reviews and look in the back of contractor trucks. You won't find a lot of Champion or Harbor Freight. I keep mine for emergencies as well so I won't gamble on quality in that arena. Good luck in your quest!

2. bconrey

bconrey Member

Keep in mind that decibel levels aren't linear. 70dB will sound twice as loud as 60dB; 80dB will sound 4x as loud as 60dB. You can read more about it here: http://www.noisehelp.com/decibel-scale.html.

3. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I do understand decibels. I deal with them daily.
    Thanks.

4. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Campfire Joe, if you have follow in this site long enough you can see that people gets pissed off even if you talk in normal voice. NO matter what gen you get, people will complaint...Get the best you can afford and if you have questions get with the manufacturer. Generally they are the best source of info unless there is something they can sell you.

You keep giving wrong information Look at the honda manual OwnerÂ’s Manual GENERATOR EU2000i , on the second page, this is what they have in Warning:

The generator is a potential source of electrical shock if misused. Do
    not expose the generator to moisture, rain or snow. Do not let the
    generator get wet, and do not operate it with wet hands.

This is coming form Honda itself, if you dont have yours here is a link to the pdf.

Link

Seen plenty champion around on contractor trucks. I cannot say that about HF as I honestly have not seen one but I dont work on construction so I cant say they are used or not. Not wanting to deal with communist countries is fine, however, in this global market is hard not to. Even if a product is not built in a communist country a lot of the part in it or boards come from there... I understand you wanting the Honda quality that is undeniable, that does not mean a champion genset is going to die on the second hours of use neither a HF, mine has quite a few hours on it, still kicking fine.

5. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Not sure if you think I'm "pissed off", but I can assure you I am not. It's difficult to express "normal tone of voice" with writing so again, I'm not sure what you are referring to. I'm giving the best advice I can. If you believe HF tools are quality, more power to you. Like I said, I tend to spend more on my tools, but I don't spend time and money returning broken tools. As I also said, I consider my generator and much of my camping gear "emergency supplies" so I buy quality commensurate with that level of duty cycle. China is well known for quality control issues so I don't bet my families well being or survival on a piece of equipment that is "kicking fine". I also advised the OP read reviews. These will uncover things like longevity (from people that actually use them), noise (from people that have owned both), performance at high altitudes (another camping specific area the off brands don't perform in), fuel efficiency and loatd capability (off brands don't typically produce advertised wattage). As for running in damp conditions I would advise you to read up on GFCIs. The whole purpose of them is to protect people from being electrocuted in damp or wet environments (like the one in most bathrooms). Generators have them for a reason....because they are often used in natural disasters (like hurricanes). I don't recall too many electrocutions from generators in the rain, but I've seen people killed from putting their generator under cover to keep it from getting wet. You want to pack a carport for your generator, great, but don't tell someone a GFCI genset is going to electrocute them. That's just misinformation. There are facts and opinions. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but facts are not subjective. I apologize if I was the one who upset you. Like I said, my intent is to give the most sound advice I can based on my experience, research and researching other people's opinions. YMMV.

Jeff

6. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

I most likely won't be using the gen. in heavy rain, and if It does rain some there are plenty trees at this camp ground that stay pretty dry underneath. Normally I'm off the water during rain times and that's a great time for me to charge up the boat batteries, when I'm at campgrounds that have electrical sites. Last sept. when I was there it rained pretty all 4days, and most people with popups that had generators had them stored under their slide outs. But there were not running them. After seeing them under their slides outs is why asked how safe it was to run them there. I guess they were just keeping them out of the elements. I'm sure most of us try to buy good tools so we won't have to re buy them again. So i'll be on the lookout the next few months. Again thanks for all the input. joe

7. bconrey

bconrey Member

Sorry, that wasn't for you. That was for the OP, who may not have the daily exposure to decibels that you have. Someone who is still learning about decibels may be unaware the scale isn't linear and may unintentionally purchase a generator much louder than they intended.

JeffC's advice is right on - jump on the forums and talk to the folks who own the particular generator you're looking to buy, both for longevity and for noise levels.

8. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Joe, I looked up some Honda suitcases on CL last night. The 1000 watt Hondas "lightly used" seem to run less than the bargain brand units. The 2000 watt Hondas are almost new price! I suspect people buy the little guy and realize they need bigger and have trouble selling them. That might be a great opportunity for your application.

Jeff

9. campfire Joe

Thanks jeff i'll check it out. And yea bconrey ,I'm definitely not up on my decibels. My only experience is the lower the number the better for quite camping.

10. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

What your quoted had nothing to do with you. I was referring to the multiple threads that you can find in this website where people gets upset because all they want to hear while camping is mother nature sounds and dont care to hear from any electronic devices (phones, radio, generators, doors slamming, pets, kids, etc) because it will ruin their camping experience. My point was that no matter how quiet his genset is he will encounter neighbors that will complaint.

You have your opinion on what is the best equipment and I respect that. I happen to agree, Honda are the top of the top, however, not everyone needs that top of the top.

I know about GFCI, I have install plenty of those as well. The point is that not all generators has GFCI on them. If you read what I cut and paste from the Honda Inverter manual you will see that Honda itself is saying NOT to use the generator under the rain or even damp conditions because a chance of electrocution. That specific generator does not have GFIC in it and if it does, they failed to promote that. The only Hondas that have CGFI seems to be the contractor units and even for those Honda advertise against their use in wet or humid conditions. Read the manual from the EB3000c GFIC protected contractor generator. I cant cut and paste it here because of the way they built the pdf. That is the correct information.

You are of the opinion to leave your generator in the rain and operate it under those conditions, the manufacturer says not to and that is an statement from the manufacturer, not my opinion or their opinion. You can take your chance which is your decision as a grown up, however to tell others to do that same thing, then tell them there is no chance for them to get harmed when the manufacturer of the equipment says not to, then THAT IS misinformation.
    Heck, if you play the Russian roulette with a 6 shooter you have 5 chances that the gun wont go off, that is what, 83%, but that dont means it will not. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

And who recommended to pack a shed to cover their generator?? LOL!

Lets agree to disagree, but the facts comes from the Manufacturer, not you, not me. The manufacturer wrote in the manual that operating a generator under the rain or humid conditions (even those equipped with GFCI) is a bad idea and you can get electrocuted.

bconrey, you quoted me so that is why I thought you were directing it to me, however, I do understand now how you meant it. Operator error on my part... [:)C]

Joe, I do apologize if this looks or it might be a hijack, not my intention to "derail" your thread.

Thanks, im out!

11. campfire Joe

No problem Nandy, I thank you for the caution. I hadn't even given thought that I could be putting myself in danger. there is probably a good chance that the Gen. that I end up getting won't have a gfci installed in it. Don't want to be standing in ankle deep water putting gas in it while its running. Thanks

12. RobertGreenlee

RobertGreenlee Member

I picked up a Yamaha EF2000IS from a buddy for $650 yesterday. He had two of them which he could link together. He bought a much bigger rig that has a built in generator so he didn't need these anymore. They were only about a year old. I have a solar setup so I'll probably only bring the generator in the spring and fall trips when the panel can have trouble keeping up with the heater draw. I also wanted it for emergency use at home although the power in our neighborhood is pretty reliable. All the lines are underground.

I did want to ask. I have a nice battery charger which I'd plan on plugging in to the generator and then hook it to the battery verses using the PUPs charger. When the charger is topping off the battery it ramps up to 16V. Any chance is frying any of the electronics in the PUP like the fridges little computer?

Thanks

Rob

13. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

I have no idea what a "nice battery charger" is. How is anybody supposed to respond to your question? I can tell you that 16V is completely inappropriate for charging your battery. If that is what it is doing, don't use it.

14. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Four pages of rambling, conflicting, and wrong information. While the answer was in the first two replies.

To RobertGreenlee...yes, most of your modern chargers can connect your genny with your battery without an issue. Depending on your PUP's converter, that may be the best way to go about it. Maybe you have a fancier fridge then I, but it shouldn't be a problem.

15. goody59

goody59 Member

http://www.safelec.com.au/vehicle--rv.html

RCD versus RVD for added safety when using generators and invertor generators. If I was using inverter generator, I would be replacing my RCD with this product RVD to protect myself and my family from electric shock in the PUP. Just some food for thought. Have a read and take advice from it if you want.