need suggeztions for dog pen

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by hoosier_gal, Jul 21, 2013.

1. hoosier_gal

hoosier_gal New Member

We'll be taking our maiden voyage 1 week from today in our n2u pup and we w
    are looking for suggestions for dog play yards/enclosure to set up outside our pup to ensure our 2 shih tzhus have a safe place to hang while we are hanging out. I'm terrified of them wandering around and am not sure about tying then out. Anyone use something that they could recommend?
    thanks!!

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Everywhere that I've been, the law requires dogs to be tied whether or not it requires a 6 foot leash. If you pen your dogs they also have to be tied.

3. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I've seen pens used at some private CGs. Best one I saw had a pentagon or hexagon shape. Walls just snapped together. Laid flat for storage. Walls were @3' high. Don't know if it was staked or not but probably a good idea.

4. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

We tether ours to the axle with 8 foot leads (it makes up for looping them around the axle, net 6 foot).
    Seems like a sturdy place til my 120lb Malamute went to greet an incoming neighbor and I swore someone backed in to the camper it moved so much (I was inside...all my wife heard was WTH!)

Most all campgrounds have leash rules, the only times I've seen pens suffice was at dog shows where they have RV parking for entrants.
    We just bought a 19foot TT with A/C for ours, was the smallest pen they'd fit in! lol

5. horrocks family

horrocks family Boone, NC

This sounds like a baby play yard...I've seen it during camping, as well as when animal shelters have brought animals up for adoption to high traffic areas -- like a mall, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Play-Panel/dp/B00020L78M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374436880&sr=8-1&keywords=super+play+yard

6. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

we have never been hassled keeping our dogs inside 3' metal hexagon pen that either stands alone or we bungie it to the awning poles and back to the trailer.

7. hoosier_gal

hoosier_gal New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should have added that we will be boondocking it at least 1 -2 days in our upcoming trip so leash regs won't apply

I've been reading older forum posts on the subject and went with a metal hexagon fenced in play yard that I think will be perfect for our needs from Amazon (36 in height and 8 24" sections, I believe)

8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

9. hoosier_gal

hoosier_gal New Member

Thanks Jeepmamma, that's the one we went with & it'll be here wed. I think it's going to be perfect for needs! I'm planning to use it even when they're tied down to protect them from bigger dogs that might be off leash. (Just in case-since we've had scares before)

Theresa

10. CamperJenn

CamperJenn Member

I use a ex pen....
    I put down my mat that covers the ground....
    Set up the expen... Insert dogs. Lol

I have two labs so mine is 42" tall... And they don't knock it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

11. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

A friend of mine has the wireless electronic fence at home and he takes the transmitter with him camping. He sets the range on the unit to keep them on his site. We always camp with electric hookups, so its an easy solution.

JR

12. carolgundlach

carolgundlach New Member

We bring a metal hexagon pen with us. One of our dogs will stay in it with no problem but we can't trust the other younger, stronger dog. We put her on a long cable tied to the camper bumper or to the picnic table where she can be in the center of it all. Both dogs love the camper ( I swear its their den, they get in it when its set up at the house) so that's another option.

13. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

I make mine use a pencil.

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. Twin Mom

Twin Mom New Member

We take our lab camping with us also. We have 2 of the hex pens and link them together around the awning poles to the trailer. She stays inside and has only sneaked out when I left our site without her. We like it much more than the tie outs. No more untangeling.

15. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

At one time I had 4 Yorkies that camped with me. 2 light weight plastic baby pens were attached together and made a great fenced in yard. My next door nieghbor (the campground host) stated he wish more people would be as thoughtful about their dogs and fellow campers. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

16. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

17. gypsysooners

gypsysooners Both retired and loving it! Free Thinkers

Our little dog stays inside or on a lead now but we did have a little dog before that liked to be outside with us and not on a lead.

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get plastic lattice panels. They come in two and four foot height by eight foot long. I stacked them on top of each other and drilled small holes in ends of all of them. Insert electrical ties through the holes to act as hinges and they'll accordian fold for storage. They weigh practically nothing and when made into a square or rectangle, (depending on how many you use), they stand up quite nicely.

Cheap, simple and light weight.

Also, if you don't have an eight foot storage, cut them all in half and just use that many more panels.

18. Marblerun22

Marblerun22 New Member

We've got a pen designed for an adult dog from a pet store that you can stake in the ground. Should more than suffice for your needs. Good luck!

19. shawnba

shawnba Shitters full!!!

ya they work great...i have even seen an invisible electric fence that are not too expensive either that work great!

20. sbirch923

sbirch923 New Member

We use the wire/metal playpen that is sold at the pet store. We use the sides of the pen to dry our beach towels and it keeps our dogs from seeing whats around them. I only let the dogs in the pen when we are outside. Otherwise they are in the camper with us. If it's hot, I stretch a beach towel across the top and fasten it with bulldog clips purchased at office depot.