Need sway control !!

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Johnny cash, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Johnny cash

Johnny cash Member

I’m not sure why everyone keeps saying “not enough truck” my ram is rated to pull 8120lbs and on the cat scale the trailer weighed in at 6040lbs so I’m well within my weights
    I’m getting LT tires put on this week as I had a friend with the exact same truck as mine pull my trailer and towed like a dream ! Difference was his truck has LT tires
    Can’t upgrade truck or do to much to it as it’s a company truck so it is what it is
    Retirement is 11 years away lol then the 2500 will be in front of the truck
    Heading out in a week from now 5hrs away so hopefully the tire change does the trick

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I'm saying it because last year i was you. Take it for what it is. Just because its rated for, dosen't mean its a smooth ride. Sidewall roll is a bit diffrent then sway, the lt tires will not help with sway.
    I could be wrong , and hope just the tires solves the issue. But having done that, then the shocks, mine did better. But if traveling up steep grades, ill bet the acceleration isnt great, and you will need to use the slow down lanes. Likewise for acceleration getting on interstates. I dont need to know your weights, I trust you. As i said mine was lighter. It has something to do with towing a giant wind sale behind you. And all trailors handle diffrent. So , weight isnt the all deciding factor. People always say not enough truck when they get a bigger one and realize the difference. Its not a slight on your truck, As i said, you can do it, just not as comfortably or as easily as you could with a bigger truck.

3. Johnny cash

Johnny cash Member

I hear what your saying the last ram I had was the exact same truck with the same trailer and went down the road straight as an arrow
    The only thing that’s different from that truck to this one is the tires so I hope it fixes it

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Me too. It will tow it fine , just need to dial it in better. Maybe mess with the wdh a bit more. It is a big trailor. And i like the rams. Looked at all the big 3 trucks, just got a good deal on my chevy. Ots new so should have power. One thing i did find out after i got the new truck is that the variable speed engien could be bypassed on the older one. That i think killed my acceleration. Newer model stuff should work faster and better.

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Increase your tongue weight via trailer loading.
    Use your WDH to transfer even more load to the front of the truck.
    Make sure that your rear tires, possibly front also are running up near the max pressure. That might make the ride harsh, but it will help with sway.

6. Johnny cash

Johnny cash Member

7. Johnny cash

Johnny cash Member

So just an update…. Headed out on a 5hr trip last week
    Just got back today

Before the trip
    Changed the tires to Nokian at plus LT275/55R20
    Inflate rear to 50psi
    Inflate air bags in truck to 25psi
    ADJUSTED THE HITCH HEAD DOWN ONE NOTCH (I think that’s what helped)
    We were loaded with almost everything but the kitchen sink and it towed like a dream ! Hardly any movement at all

weighed at a cat scale again

Truck alone
    Front 3480lbs
    Rear 2929lbs
    Total 6400lbs

truck and trailer with WD setup
    Front 3400lbs
    Rear 3980lbs
    Trailer 6060lbs
    Total 13440lbs

I’m good for 13900lbs total so not bad I guess

Questions I have are

1- does tongue weight factor in to total trailer weight or is it plus tongue weight ?

2- I can pull 8220lbs on my truck (2020 Dodge Ram 1500 bighorn) so if hooked up I’m only at 6060 can I pull a heavier trailer ?

I feel like the trailer is heavier than 6060 but with WD hitch that’s what it weighed at and on the road that’s what I would get weighed at if I were stopped

thanks

Attached Files:

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

1. Factors into total.

2. Yes. But the truck most likely has a trailer size limitation. Should be in the owners manual. You cant pull a 100' long trailer just because it weighs 8,220lbs...

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You only have 400lbs until you max out your GCVWR.. and chances are you are already at or close to the payload rating ..

xxxapache likes this.
  10. CamperMike

CamperMike Well-Known Member

One thing I'm seeing here I would worry about is what is your axle weight rating? My 2018 ram is only 3900. Yours may be higher but I bet not by much. You are probably close to maxed or already over on the rear axle.

11. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Your truck is fine, I've towed larger and heavier than that with my F150. Tilt the WDH head back and add more tension to the WD bars to get more weight to the front axle. You kind of did that when you lowered the hitch a notch but you need more "bend on the bars."

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

based on your scale weights the tongue would be 720 Lbs

13. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

It was my past experience that WD hitches should actually INCREASE the weight on the steer axles. (though I could be wrong).

You still seem to be decreasing it. You need to crank down on the WD more, or get heavier duty WD bars.

14. Johnny cash

Johnny cash Member

I’m good for 3700 front and 4100 rear

15. Johnny cash

Johnny cash Member

I just looked at that ugh !
    I have a blue ox with bars not chains…. If I lower the hitch head would that give me more weight on the front and not less ?
    Also bars are rated for 1000lbs

16. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Sound like you've just about got it worked out! Bet it's a much nicer tow now. :)

When you weighed was the truck and trailer loaded? That's not a lot of rear axle wiggle room.

How close are you to payload?

17. Johnny cash

Johnny cash Member

loaded for bear !! Could’ve probably done without a good couple hundred lbs for sure
    I’m good for 13900 gcwr

18. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

But what's the GVWR? Bet you'll hit that way before you hit GCWR.

19. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

If you lower the hitch head, yes, in theory it would increase the amount of WD. However your goal is for level. The idea is to take the tongue weight , and try and transfer that weight to the steer axle.
    That said, I had a Reese. You could adjust how much tension was on the bars.

20. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Ok I just went through your original numbers. Bear with me, it's been a few decades since I've towed anything over 2k.
    The model you presented, you stars your hitch weight is over 1100lbs I think. Mfg states that the trailer hitch weight is in the 700s.

https://www.cruiserrv.com/2018/travel-trailers/mpg/mpg-2550rb/

Maybe the 2020s are heavier.. dunno.
    But look at your hitch max tongue weight. It mat have two numbers.. with wd and without.

If the factory spec is in the 700, you need to move whatever you have from the nose more to over the axles. My guess is that you've filled the underbelly storage area that is close to the front with gear. And thus pushed the hitch weight up.

Your WD seems to be doing next to nothing. Even mildly setup, your numbers show the full tongue weight on the rear axle, and pulling the nose up. The dodge stock springs are not known for their stiffness, and you might be having a pogo effect... Where the ass of the truck is going up and down as you hit bumps in the road. Air springs help make it stiffer, which helps.... But probably not enough.

I think your WD is not setup right. I should be seeing at least 300lb increase on the front, and about 800 on the rear axle.