need to amplify Mp3 player

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by extenter, May 22, 2012.

1. extenter

extenter New Member

I have been looking for a portable radio with an input for an Mp3 player.ideally it would run on 12V or batteries.Has anyone seen such a thing?

2. IVBENS

IVBENS Member

I have a JBL Soundstage III that runs on both AC and AA batteries. Use it for the ipod (not sure about MP3 players in addition). Sounds Great! I see them on ebay, was looking for an extra for the pup just recently.

3. extenter

extenter New Member

Thanks, I just checked the specs and it does say other sound devices. Good to know that such things exist.

4. jtkirk

jtkirk New Member

5. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

If you can find a set of good computer speakers at a garage sale with a 12v power supply, you could run that off your battery and it will sound great.

I have a set of Boston Acoustics with two small speakers and a subwoofer on my computer and they're great. Got them for $10. When I saw another set for $5, I grabbed them and we use it for the wife's ipad.

Steve

6. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I bought one of those from B&N and I think it sucks! My laptop speakers are better, and they suck too. [LOL] [LOL] I don't go for particularly loud music while camping, but I don't mind if you can hear it outside just a little while I'm inside enjoying it. [;)]

I have two 6x9s, indoor/outdoor, that I'm looking to get someone to install. But paranoid they won't wire it right. I'm finding some of these electricians and handy men don't have a freakin clue.

Anyway, enjoy the tunes!!

[:D]

7. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

do a google search for Lepai TRIPATH TA2020. It is a 12v small modular 2x20 class T mini amp which accepts red/white phono plug inputs or small phone jack for mp3 players and the like. Add a couple 4-8 ohm speakers and you have all you need. It typically cost ~ $20 bucks.

8. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Look for something with an AUX input, with which you can connect pretty much any device.

When my son moved out, he left behind a Logitech mm50 iPod dock that has a built-in rechargeable battery. It sounds pretty good and the battery in this thing actually lasts longer than my SanDisk Sansa MP3 player!

9. telebrewer77

telebrewer77 New Member

We have one of these, and it is perfect for camping. The sound is amazing for the size and while you can turn it up, it is just enough that you really shouldn't disturb anybody else with it.

http://www.outdoortechnology.com/Shop/Turtle-Shell/

A little on the pricier side, but is totally portable, about the size of paperback book, waterproof, which is amazing when you get those downbursts, and has a bluetooth connection as well as the standard Aux in plug.

10. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

I have a Lepai for my house and deck, but I would recommend just powered computer speakers for campground camping. Unless you need party speakers or to hear music while playing sports, I stick to simple 110 volt computer speakers.

11. br9

br9 Member

I set my phone in a glass bowl. Plenty loud enough for the wife and I. Free too. We use it outside by the fire late nights.

12. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I've probably bought 3 pairs of mini type speakers and all of them buzz and/or sound crispy. And that's at just below 5 (of 10). I finally bought a Bose Mini just a month ago that is just the bomb-diggity!! [8D] [;)]

Has a little rubber charging pad it can live on and stay charged, or you can plug right into the speaker to charge and it has a line in and bluetooth of course. 6 nice rubber buttons on top for control, or, control from 'the device'. I want to go outside, I just carry it outside. It's good to within 30ish feet of the controlling device. Very convenient!!

I figured I'd spent $200 on cheap speakers, so I just went mini-big. It was $299, but it was also my birthday and Christmas present![LOL] [LOL]

[:D]

13. backon2

backon2 New Member

You can't beat the sound of a Bose Sound Dock. The Lithium battery lasts all day, keeps the iPod charged and has an AC converter/charger. The new ones have Bluetooth but ours has a line in jack option. We wouldn't leave home without it!

14. Lathrop Bob

Lathrop Bob New Member

I am way late to this party but I though others would be interested in the speakers I use in the pup. I picked up the Rukus rugged solar speakers. http://www.amazon.com/Eton-Rugged-All-Terrain-Portable-Wireless/dp/B00B8PRRTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414484910&sr=8-1&keywords=Ruckus+rugged

The have an internal rechargeable battery with a built in solar panel. They will also recharge with 12 or 120 volts. The sound is very good and they have enough volume that you could probably annoy the camp next to yours.

Another plus is you can plug any USB chargeable device into them to charge off the solar panel. And it has Bluetooth to connect with your MP3 player or phone.