Need to clear out my surplus, but what needs to go?

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
So doing an inventory of my camping gear, I am finding I have far too much equipment and can't possibly use all of it. Most notably, I have found over the years I have come up with a collection of various stoves.

#1. Coleman 424 Dual Fuel 2 burner.
#2. Coleman classic 2 burner propane.
#3. Coleman Exponent F1 ultralight butane single burner backpacking stove.
#4. MSR Whisperlite white gas backpacking stove with 2 fuel bottles.
#5. Brinkmann 2 burner stainless steel propane stove.
#6. iRegro wood gas backpacking stove.
#7. Century single burner bottle top propane stove.

With my back issues, and my wife the odds of me ever going backpacking again are rapidly approaching zero, HOWEVER, it would be nice to have available a tiny stove to cook with for air / car travel out west while we are still working...

The stoves that absolutely have GOT to go are...

#1. Brinkmann 2 burner stainless steel propane stove. It's not a bad stove, but I prefer the Coleman by a long shot...
#2. MSR Whisperlite. It's the original whisperlite, not an internationale, or a never shaker valve model although MSR would retrofit for the new style valve for a pittance...

The stoves in question are...
iRegro wood gasifier.
Coleman Exponent F1 ultalight butane stove. I also have a matching Exponent F1 Lite lantern.
Coleman 424 vs Coleman Classic 2 burner propane. Or keep both?

There is only one that is a must keep, which is the Century. I have no intent to use it again, however it was the first piece of camping gear my Dad gifted to me when I was a kid, and since he passed it holds a LOT of great memories for me. I'd like to figure out how to source up a dead empty 1lb green bottle and set it up on a shelf with a few other pieces of antiques in my home office / studio.

So I think I just need the nudge to list my old equipment. Is it worth it at all to keep either the iRegro gasifier, or the Coleman Exponent stove and lantern?

The decision point between the liquid fuel and propane stoves are related to the following.

Propane advantages for me. Easier to use, safety features with the heater, and a direct factory built propane water heater / shower (Zodi).
Liquid Fuel advantages for me. More cost effective with frequent use, especially using unleaded gasoline. Not tethered to a central propane tank. I have 2 of the dual fuel lanterns and they seemingly provide light forever on one filling.

Between the 20lb tank, which is HUGE, plus the distribution tree, plus the distribution hoses, I end up with appliances tethered, which restrains where and how I set up, and is much bulkier than the same usable amount of appliances / fuel.

Actually writing this out, makes me seriously consider leaning heavily toward keeping the white gas appliances. I should probably talk to my wife about it. She's the other person that would end up using them.

Ugh, I hate this... I have GOT to do this. Clear a lot of this out as it is sucking up space we need for other purposes...

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Its hard to let go........just look at it this way, the more you get rid of the more cool things you can buy!

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
Everyone has different priorities and different ways to camp. I use the old backpack / canoe camp methods everything needs to have at least two uses, If I carry something for two trips, it goes into a large box in the shed just in case or id someone else needs it. It is easy to get overloaded when things are so easy to just toss them items in "maybe I might need this one day". It still is hard to let go but also just as easy to overload weight and storage wise. Good LUck and Keep on Camping

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
Well this sort of grew organically over the years. The whisperlite while being a fantastic little stove was bought in my early twenties when I was backpacking throughout Arizona and while I wasn't willing to carry a full size to burner stove and cast iron cookware wait wasn't exactly a problem.

The for 424 Was bought after I split up with my ex and before I got together with my beautiful bride now. I camped very frequently at least once a month with a singles group and tended to get lots of use out of my stove and I really didn't like dealing with propane back then.

Leave stainless brinkman was bought because my wife didn't really like the white gas appliances because they were harder to use. I quickly learned to hate it and then started liking it later because and I went through 3 regulators trying to get it to work right before they got one to me that seemed to work and hold up. That 1 absolutely has to go because replacement parts are not available for

The Coleman ultralight exponents are probably going to go I bought them for ultralight backpacking before my car accident that started all the back problems. However they are tiny and pack up super easy which makes them ideal for stowing in checked baggage or I can pack a camping backpack with a larger backpacking tent for car camping where I am arriving by plane. The coalmine classic to burner was bought to replace the brinkman and I really do like it but something just makes me want to keep the dual fuel stove instead of going with propane. I'm still not sure.

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
I know the feeling, I was a LD Backpacker and my entire pack weighted 8 LBS less food and water . Silcon tent, special pack etc. Love it but medical trouble cause me to change my ways, now I solo canoe camp and kept some of the gear, but the canoe carries a lot more than I could carry so a lot of items got upgraded and things got a lot smoother. I gave most of the ultralight items to my GS who was a Boy Scout. Just make the tough decisions and lighten the load a bunch but do as I do and put the rejects in a box just in case you decide to use them, (for a while anyway) you won't have to saw the handle of the toothbrush off anyway :)

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
I would be more apt to sell useless stuff, like socks and underwear, to make room for my (even if antiquated) camping gear. [:)C]

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
I'm the same way - I will probably never backpack camp again so I gave my Jetboil backpacking stove and my hand pump water filter to my son. He is starting to do more backpacking so free gear is always welcome. Regarding the Coleman 424, it is a great stove. I have a propane adapter with mine so I can can go both ways.
https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-185-Propane-Converter/dp/B004RDQT92/ref=asc_df_B004RDQT92/

That propane adapter might just help sway my decision however I am leery of Stansport products due to prior experience how is this one?

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
Okay so the list so far on the chopping block.

* Brinkmann stainless steel 2 burner propane stove. Great stove in some ways, makes me leery in others.
* 1990s vintage Coleman propane 2 mantle lantern in a hard case. I am considering including spare mantles. I am getting of the age where I don't want to futz with tie on mantles when clip ons exist...
* MSR Whisperlite backpacking stove, approx 1990 vintage, with 2 MSR fuel bottles. And if I can find it, a pump service kit.
* iRegro wood gasifier. I actually have 2 of them, and don't really need / want either. I like the idea, especially when backpacking, but I am not going to go dragging my arthritic spine and sciatica down a mountain trail for a week with everything I need on my back, so I don't have any need to source up fuel on the trail.
* Coleman Classic 2 burner propane stove. Less than 2 years old, but if I can source up a propane converter to use when I am camping with a group no need for this, I can simply adapt my liquid fuel stove...

The not up0 for debate I am keeping them items are...
* Century single burner bottle top propane stove. Again this has sentimental value. And will likely end up as an ornament in my home office.

Well at least that one made a short list...

That leaves me debating whether or not to keep the Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight stove, and Coleman Exponent F1 Lite lantern.

I am going to make the list, and do the write ups on them. Pretty sure I don't want to Ebay this stuff as used pricing is pretty low to begin with, and my gear is all in top shape. I don't want to take the additional hit of the transaction fees and shipping... Especially on the bigger items. Nor do I want to take a risk on the globe for the lantern...