Need to replace Coleman Mach A/C Unit--Need some help!

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by tatertots4, May 11, 2010.

1. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

Unfortunately, our 2003 Coleman-Mach A/C unit has bit the dust. Need to replace, and hoping for some insight...

First...any recommendations on brand? Main ones seem to be Carrier, Coleman-Mach and Dometic.

Second...what size? 13,500 or 15,000 btu? We live near Augusta GA and camp primarily at the lake here. And will heat strips adequately heat the PUP in the winter? We're not snow campers, so really only early fall and late spring.

Third...any recommendations on companies? AdventureRV maybe???

Last...is this an easy replace/install job? Hubby is pretty handy, budget is tight, so going to do it ourselves (and by "ourselves" I really mean HE is going to do it [;)]

Info on our PUP: 2003 Coleman Santa Fe with fiberglass (not ABS) roof. A/C unit already installed, just need to replace with new one.

Thanks so much!!!

2. dfab

dfab New Member

are you shore the unit is ng some times if the refrigerant is lowe it will stop working. If thats the case youll need to refill and check for leaks .

3. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

The compressor comes on fine, fan works perfectly, but no cold air. Had an A/C tech come out last year, he worked on it for 2 hours, said "something's in the line, and it's gonna take me a while to find/fix it, so you're crazy to spend $300 to repair a $500 unit." We went camping this past weekend and ran A/C continually hoping to "blow out" whatever was in the line, but no dice. Would love to fix it if someone knows how! But have camping trip planned for June 4-14 and don't want to be sweating with hubby and our 4 kids :)

4. dfab

dfab New Member

OK in the lines their is an orifice tube filter that can get plugged when it does that means that something let go 90% of the time. to fix it you need a set of gages for the proper refrigerant and other tools , its not worth it for you to do it your self and can be dangerous to boot. I hate to say it but sounds like new is the best option. I cant tell you what unit to get but I have a carrier and it works grate for me in NewEngland the only complaint is that its noise.

5. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

If everything comes on and no cooling 1. low on gas /or no gas in unit 2. you have a restriction in the system The restriction could be many things but most likely metal fragments or you had a leak and ran the unit with low gas and over heated the oil and in gummed up the orifice/drier. with that you have to replace the orifice/drier and put service ports on the unit. If you dont know about it better than replace it.

6. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

Problem is we spent $150 last year trying to fix it. I think that's why AC tech said we should replace. That being said, any help with brand/vendor/etc? Thanks!

7. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

If you go with the same brand you should be able to re-use your ceiling assembly, assuming it is still in good shape, which will save you around $100. I would also go with a 15,000 btu model.

Unless you find a packaged deal the roof unit and interior ceiling unit sells separately.

8. kampindude

kampindude New Member

I've been looking to put a unit in my pup as well. I've been searching the web for the best price and so far AdventureRv seems to be the lowest price that I've found. They have a nice price on a package deal of the top unit and control panel (the inside part), but if you buy the same brand you had you can probably reuse the inside control panel.

Personally I would go with the same brand so all the mounting is the same and hopefully this will give you a good seal when the new unit is installed.

Also, I downloaded a pdf of the installation manual for a dometic unit just to see how what the install entailed (I haven't actually bought anything yet). Check the manufacturers website of whatever brand you pick and usually they have the manuals online for free. You could do that ahead of time to see what you're getting into. I think with replacing an existing unit it should be too bad of a job.

9. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

I agree with others, I think replacing it is the way to go.

We installed a Carrier Air-V low profile 15k with Heat ourselfs. works GREAT plus it is about 6 to 7 inches shorter in height than others standard units.

Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

10. tatertots4

tatertots4 New Member

Thanks everyone! So as far as I can tell, no one has a major preference between the 3 brands? I was a little apprehensive about going with another Coleman Mach (since this one went out), but I'm guessing you all have had good experience with them? Local dealer told me Carrier was the best...any thoughts on this? Thanks again for all your help :)

11. OlGuy

OlGuy Our first tent trailer!

We got a Carrier 13500 last month from AdventureRV. It was the least expensive unit I could find. It was delivered in 2 days! I installed it with the only help being help lifting it onto the roof. The installation was straight forward and not a problem. All makes fit the same size hole so no modification need to be made to the roof. Our AC works great!

12. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Just make sure you clean the filters and wash down the coils before the season starts. This will help keep the ac going longer and make the ac work not as hard.