Need to replace curtains - Advice appreciated.

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Modon, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Modon

Modon New Member

Hi ya'll, I'm new to this forum but have been browsing for a week or so and have learned so much. We just bought our first PUp, a '95 Jayco and boy are we excited. We've always been tent campers, but are now entering this new phase of camping and really, really looking forward to our first time out. However, we have to make a few repairs to the PUp first. DH has already fixed the leak in the roof from the AC and I am getting ready to replace the curtains which sustained some water damage. I think I can probably make new sets using the plastic parts on the old ones, but I am wondering if there aren't some alternatives that would work without having to do that. (I'm not sure my sewing machine will actually stitch through the plastic "hangers" and I dread the thought of having to attach them all by hand!) In a similar vein, I have also removed the valance which went all around the inside. It is also too damaged to be re-used. Since the valance was screwed into the roof of the camper, I wondered about filling the holes then doing something with velcro which would hide the holes as well as make it easier to get the valance down to launder, etc. Has anyone tried anything like this, and did it work?

2. Liafast

Liafast New Member

I was looking at the newer campers and like the vent mesh at the top...I like in a very small town and couldn't find it. I talked to a cleaning lady at a local medical center and she gave me a set of privacy curtain that go around patients beds..tons of free fabric and the mesh also.

Terri Creech

3. earnhardt8

earnhardt8 New Member

I mcde curtains for my camper. I left the little plastic parts that slide and just put velcro (used velcro adhesive) and then stuck the rough part on the plastic part. I just cut a lot of little square. Then I sewed the soft part onto the curtains. I made my curtains with american flags on them. Then I just sewed one strip all the way down the velcro to help keep it in place. Now, I can easily slide my curtains back and forth and take them down when I want to. It's easier to wash them that way. I did the exact same thing for privacy curtains at the end of each bunk, as ours did not have them. If its just us and we don't need them, then we'll just not put them up. With the velcro they do stay up tight, and if you don't want them you can take them off!!! It worked great for us.

Brian & Shannon
    2003 GMC Z71
    1994 Fleetwood destiny PUP