Need to rewire my trailer lights

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by magicfish, May 17, 2009.

1. magicfish

magicfish New Member

It looks like I'm going to have to rewire my new(2me) 85 Starcraft. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon checking every bulb, sanding connections and wires and testing with 12v to each line. At the very least, it appears that the right signal wire is shorting out to ground.

I did all of this afternoon's testing with the pup closed up so I am not sure how the wires are fed from the frame underneath through the body to the lights. Am I going to be able to get at the wires from inside? Am I going to be able to pull the new wire through by attaching to the old wires?

Do any of you have experience and tips with the actual process of replacing the wires?

Glenn

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

I replaced all the exterior lights in my pup a couple years ago and while it seems like a daunting job, it was actually relatively easy. On my 88 Sun Lite, the wires from the tongue go up through the floor through a grommet into the dinette under seat cabinet in the front of the camper. Was easy enough to just re-run to there. I did add a plastic sleeve for wiring for the entire run on the outside as well as inside of the rig for safety and neatness. On mine all the wiring was accessible at the lights from inside various cabinets. For the running lights I unscrewed the old ones, then cut the wires from the back and used those as a snake to pull the new ones through the body panels. In my setup I have cabinets all along one wall as well as a sofa across the back, so was easy to just run the new wiring through these back to the tailights and then same as with the running lights, used the old wires to snake through the body. Be sure to seal up any breaches in the body of the pup where the wires go through. Where I could I used rubber grommets and a little caulk, otherwise I just caulk the opening. Trying to use the old wires to snake through for the entire run may be difficult since (at least on mine) they branch off the main run to the running lights, and the wires were secured at intervals to the body.

Good Luck.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Most of my wiring for the lights is under my PUP. Runs a long the frame. The rear side lights connect behind the taillights. My right taillight was wired across the rear panel, but I changed that, the wire now go straight down thru a small hole at the bottom edge of the panel. I purchased a flat four harness to rewire the lights a couple of years ago, but the wire was so small and cheap I didn't us it. I got heavier gauge 4 wire at a marine store.

4. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hi,

Snoop around and see where the wires are running. Unless someone has gotten 'screw happy', there is a fair chance any damaged lines would be those exposed to the road and elements under the camper. you might find that you can reuse any sections that are inside your walls and just replace the runs underneath.

Do you have a 4-pin or a larger connector on the PUP? If its a 5, 6, or 7 pin, make sure you pull the connector apart to check the connections from the wires to the pins.

Good Luck!

5. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I rewired the running lights on our pup myself. After my brother spent 8 hours trying every thing to get the lights to work, I decided to just rewire it from the get go. It wasn't hard, I'm a girl and I did it.

I put the new wire harness at the front. Ran it through the tongue. Left about 3 feet out for the TV. Put 2 wires on each side all the way down. Took off old running lights on sides and the back lights. There will be holes in the sides. I got a wire coat hanger. (Didn't have a fish tape at the time) Put it down the hole. On the bottom on the trailer frame, there should be a little opening in the corner underneath to stick the wires in, Use the coat hanger with a small hook, to grab the wire, pull it out the hole on the side. Now, on the bottom edge of the pup. there are little screws, unscrew like 2 at a time, and you can push the wires between the side panels and the frame. Do this till you get to the back. Pull the wires out the back and hook up tale lights. Its all done and wires are hidden. Took me about 3 hours from start to finish and all lights work great.

Sharon

Lisa Pigg likes this.
  6. magicfish

magicfish New Member

Great description, Sharon. I think I'll have to do things a little differently on the curb side on my pup, but I like your method.

Glenn

7. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Do you have the fold down step? That wasn't a problem. The wire is long enough to run it behind the back of the step and use the clips that come with the wire kit to attack to the frame. I used a pair of pliers to clamp them tighter to the frame in places it was a little thinner then the clamps. Use the clamps over the wheel wells as well.

Let me know if you need pics, I can run out and take some if you need.

Sharon

8. magicfish

magicfish New Member

My trailer is different from yours but pics would be interesting anyway. I've followed your rebuild project on your blog and I think it is fantastic.

Glenn

9. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Thank you. As soon as it stops raining, I can take some pics of the wire job. We have a tropical storm here over florida.

Sharon

10. Chad Bonnema

Chad Bonnema New Member

Sharon, did you just rewire the taillights or the side marker lights too? If you did the marker lights, how did you rewire those? All videos tend to show just rewiring the taillights, and not the side lights.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Doubt you'll get a reply. If you click on Sharon's name on the post, it shows: Sharon was last seen: Mar 23, 2017.

12. Chad Bonnema

Chad Bonnema New Member

Anyone want to be my "Sharon"?

13. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

You just wire the side markers into the park light wire.

14. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

so Sharon was a "Hit and Run" member - just stopped in for a brief query and then disappeared.