Need Tow Vehicle Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by teh603, Jan 8, 2021.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. I've always thought my 1997 F150 felt more solid than the Chevy's I ride in, son's and brother-in-law's. Less rattles and wind noise. The Chevy trucks have improved since theirs were made.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Let’s say you are interested in a traditional popup 10’ popup with no slide out you may be looking at GVWR of close to 3000 or a bit under so I would definitely stick with a v6 if at all possible. I don’t see why you will need a full size truck for something like that unless you are interested in upgrading to a TT or equivalent. I have a Toyota 4 runner v6, this is a very capable tow vehicle and trust worthy for many popups with a few exceptions. I know a number of people who own Jeep Grand Cherokee and love them. A minivan with a tow rating of 3500 might even be able to handle the above popup so long as you and yours don’t pack a ton of stuff and don’t haul water. However minivans are known to squat quite a bit so you may need to add things like air bags, trans cooler etc to help. Another option may be buy a very cheap vehicle that can get you from point a to point b and put the insurance money in a savings account and wait until you get closer to buy a camper so you and yours know exactly what you will need. That way you can also continue putting money in that account so you can have enough to buy whatever you can afford and hopefully by then you would have already gotten a better idea of what your planning on towing.
    When my brothers civic was stolen he had his eye on an a Subaru outback but when insurance gave him his money he found he was very very short. At the time because his insurance was taking their sweet time or probably waiting for the MPs and police time to look. I ended up gifting him my very tired Sentra so he at least had a car to get around his base and store. He just saved up until he could afford that Outback. The funny thing the second my brother bought his car the Sentra was stolen. Jokes on those crooks though as by then the Sentra was only able to go 45 max speed and if you stopped longer than a few min it stalled.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Vehicles vary a lot in how they are equipped, even among the same model. The '15 Chevy Colorado we fought with for a year and a half (it was a lemon, the dealer and we all decided to give up on it) was far more bare bones on the interior than our '17 Silverado. Road vibration transfer to the steering wheel was worse than either the '05 4Runner (which we still have) and the '17 Silverado 1500 we now use as a tow vehicle and my daily driver. With my arthritic hands, I was actually wondering if I was going to have to give up longer solo trips because my hands hurt so much after a day of driving.
    The Silverado interior is actually nice - my friend who tends to the more luxurious was impressed by it. She rode in the Outbacks, which were definitely bare, and 4Runner, but we both admit the Silverado is a great improvement on those. (She had issues riding in the Colorado, as did I, because of the floral stink we could never get rid of, more than likely caused by the oil issues it had. We both have asthma, but I had no choice but to use the truck, - we just always left the windows cracked, 24/7, parked outdoors.)
    We don't have the invisible trailer feature, nor the lane and parking guides, but the back up camera is handy. Ours has the 8/4 cylinder set-up, where it goes to 4 cylinder when conditions are good for that. I like that far better than the on/off motor of the ones that turn the motor off at traffic lights, as my buddy's Cadillac sort-of cross-over does.She likes it, I hate the feeling of hesitation and the engine starting again.

5. teh603

teh603 New Member

You're the only one I've seen who likes the 8/4 system. Most of the Silverado people I've talked with have used either a tune or an OBD dongle to disable it. Seems it likes to stick to 4 cylinders for a few seconds while you're accellerating from a light...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I didnt like it, but with the pup it wasn't that noticeable, with the TT is was and made merging onto the highway nightmarish. Otherwise, when not towing it was fine.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

my ford's start/stop was easily turned off permanently

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If it does, I haven't noticed it. I don't know as I'd say I like it per se, but it sure is better than the on/off engine thing, at least in the vehicles I've been in.