Needing good ideas for clothing storage in small 8ft box pop up

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by jayhawk, Aug 16, 2010.

1. jayhawk

jayhawk New Member

We just got back from camping 10 days consecutively in Colorado. We are somewhat experienced campers but I've still never quite figured out what best to do with our clothing in suitcases that seems to take up so much of the space in the pop up. Since we experienced so much rain on this trip, we found ourselves hanging out in the pop up frequently which is something we don't usually do. I like the idea of having the dinette free so we can sit/play cards etc but with 4 suitcases-it almost seems impossible. We have to have suitcases because most of the time, we will stay in a hotel on the way to a campground if it is a really long drive and we are planning on arriving late so keeping clothing in say, a clear rubbermaid container is out. I was wondering if anyone unpacked their luggage and put their clothes in clear plastic bins and stored them under the pop up? I really feel if I could get the clothing out of there-we'd be able to move around more quickly. There really isn't space for clothing in the 2 cabinets we have (since this is where we store food grade hose, blocks-etc and really, there isn't that much space anyway) Also, the space beneath the seats in the dining area is not large at all due to the water storage tank. What do most people do? Keep in mind, this is a very small pop up and we don't have many of the other spaces that larger pop ups have. Thanks for any advice you can give. [?:~{]

2. tripleJS

tripleJS New Member

We have a small pup up & 2 kids, so there's always lots of clothes between the 4 of us! We tend to keep the clothes in the back of the TV. Since our pup doesn't have a shower, we just pick out our clothes on the way to the CG shower from the back of the the SUV, then drop off the dirty clothes on the way back. Clothes stay organized and out of the way.

3. Campsnoopy

Campsnoopy New Member

maybe if you know you are going to stop at a hotel then pack an overnight bag with all of the things you willneed...then the remainder of the clothes can be stored in rubermaid containers. I use a set of three draws...it packs nicely and my clothes are organized....you can stand it on a bunk during the day and on the floor at night....

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our pup is smaller than yours, with a 6' box. We have not used suitcases in 20 years for any form of camping or car travel, we use duffels for everything except air travel. The duffels are malleable, and we can stack them if needed. There is no space for plastic drawers and the like, & I would not be inclined to unpack into them anyway.

Since our pup is that small, for travel, the duffels are in the TV unless I am on a solo trip; extra footwear and heavier coats are in the TV unless needed.

During the day, the duffels are usually on the bed (we only have 1 bed end); at night, they are on the dinette bench(s). The size (we have a good-sized collection) and number of duffels depends on the length and type of trip. For example, on my 2-1/2 week solo trip to visit family w/no hiking, I had 1 small duffel, 1 large-ish + 1 used as a laundry bag. On a longer trip, with hiking, I'll add another duffel for those clothes.

We really only have 2 storage spaces besides the small areas under the dinette benches and, they are needed for things other than clothing, so we're dealing with moving duffels morning around when needed. [On a short trip, we can leave the smaller duffels used on the bench.]

5. GWolfe

GWolfe New Member

Ditto on the duffels, we can fit them anywhere pretty easily.

6. hollywood703

hollywood703 New Member

What about hanging organizers for clothes if you dont have space? Something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-10-Shelf-Hanging-Shoe-Organizer-Rich-Brown-Fresh-Ivory/13246764

or

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sleeping-Partners-Double-Hanging-Closet-Organizer-in-White/11876994

I have seen some that have a cover over the front to not see the contents.

7. ballard

ballard New Member

We keep all of our food, towels, extra shoes and such in the tow vehicle.
    We pack all of our clothes, sleeping bags, and pillows inside the pup as well as one drawer dedicated to toys and recreational stuff.
    If we need a snack or drink you must go get it.
    Any cooking gets done outside but we try and keep things simple. Sometimes a sandwich is good enough for dinner when we are camping. Other times we might setup the portable high pressure stove outside or light the grill.

We've removed the galley and did other things and now have more storage than ever.
    We have one area inside the pup for cups plates spoons and that kind of thing but pots and pans are in a bin in the tow vehicle. We no longer setup the table so there is more space to move around but I know some folks need the table for the dinette to turn into a bed. We don't use that and redid the dinette so that the extra bed doesn't require the table to make it into a bed. We got rid of the bulky table and replaced it with a narrow long table of solid wood and urethane that can be setup outside and even left in the rain.

We pack clothes in duffle bags that fit into our storage areas. Each person has their own to eliminate digging....(my wife and I each have our own too)...We had to totally redo the inside of the pup to be able to pack our necessities in the pup without it being a hassle. This meant getting rid of the galley and changing a low unit that had drawers and door fronts into a storage trunk with a hinged top.

We used to put clothes under the seats but that was inconvenient now everything goes into our new lift top storage stuff (no more removing seat cushions to get at stuff. Our seats now have cabinet doors to access the storage under the seat.

8. jayhawk

jayhawk New Member

Wow-thanks all for weighing in on what to do. I'm sure that we are over packers. The duffle bags seem like the way to go-makes sense. A lot of our TV space is taken up with cooler with the food bin on top. We are probably overly bear paranoid but we've never left our cooler and food out and have been reluctant to store it in the pop up for the same reason. Maybe we can move the cooler to one side and keep the duffles on the right side. We have a van so we should have the space.
    Thanks.

9. hollywood703

hollywood703 New Member

ok this was a popular answer when i was asking about space

Buy a bigger camper...lol Not a realistic solution for most we ended up getting lucky since we got such a good deal on our first camper, we sold it for quite a bit more than we paid for it after a few simple (cheap) fixes (lens covers etc) and then found another excellent deal on a newer larger camper that didnt cost us anymore out of pocket than what we made from old camper. Big difference between 8 foot double full to 14 ft double queen.

but anyway....have you done the shelf mod above the galley wwhich would give you a place for more stuff without using valuable space that you move around in.

10. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

The DW just purchased a plastic 3-drawer container from Wal-mart that we use. Just a little too tall to stand on the floor when we close up the PUP but we can lay it on its back and we can easily get it in and out of the PUP if needed. When we set up we just sit it on a counter. But it is just usually the DW and I camping so not sure what would be good for larger families. [2C]

11. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Two large Duffel bags for the three of us, hanging clothes caddie, and keep the dirty clothes in one of the empty duffles under the rear bunk end.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Hanging clothes can hang from the Shepard pole.
    They can also lay on the bed for travel.

13. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

We built one of these for each bunk from scrap plywood and 2x2s. The side panels fit between the mattress and the bed rails. The side pieces fit snuggly between two pieces of 2x2s and are easily removed for flat storage. There is about 14 inches of space between the top of the bed and the bottom of the shelf which is more than enough room for our feet. Our clothing bins are placed on top along with glasses, books, etc. I have more pictures with measurements somewhere but can't seem to locate them right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bubbafrye likes this.
  14. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

I just wear the same clothes until people run away and dogs growl at me, then I jump in the water and I'm good as new!

15. jayhawk

jayhawk New Member

I love the shelves but I can't imagine my kids not knocking them down a hundred times when they jump into their beds. It's a great idea. Also, maybe could add an additional shelf on the top. I like the idea of wearing the same thing because nothing stays clean anyway. My husband and I were joking about camping-most of the time we look so rough when we go into stores/restaurants etc that they think we are there to rob the place. Also, it's amazing how cleanliness doesn't really translate to the pop up lifestyle. You know, a little dirt in your coffee cup-just wipe it out with your shirt and you are good to go! You should have seen my kids jeans!

16. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

Having the shelves knocked down is not an issue. The shelves are so tight, it takes some muscle to disassemble them. Also, they fit down between the side of the mattress and bed rails, so they are very snug. We are able to put two large Sterilite drawers (side by side) on them and still have about two feet of available shelf space for other items. :)

17. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Nice shelves. It looks the they will just lay flat on mattress during breakdown.

18. GWolfe

GWolfe New Member

I like the shelves. Now I have another mod to do.

19. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

We use 2 of those 6 pocket hanging caddies that Hollywood mentioned, 1 in each of 2 corners, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-10-Shelf-Hanging-Shoe-Organizer-Rich-Brown-Fresh-Ivory/13246764.
    That shelf that TheWunders made look like a great idea too.

20. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

This is a GREAT mod! Wish I had the tools for it!!!!!

Pam