Needs in a camper

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Let’s camp, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

I found a pop up I like. It has the toilet/shower, radio, stove/oven, microwave, A/C, front storage bin, and push out dinette. So, a lot of room, but missing one thing I wanted- the couch. Is that something I will miss? It’s price well below NADA, but a bit more than I wanted to spend, and looks to be in great condition. My original plan was to stick around $1500 with $500 flexibility. A/C and couch were the only things I felt I had to have. Is a couch important? Will I miss it?

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Totally up to you... ask yourself what you want to do inside the camper, how much time are you going to spend inside the camper and will you be comfortable with the seating that's available in this particular camper.

kcsa75, Ladiesman and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We recently got a large popup with a couch and a big dinette. Thought we'd really like the couch but so far, nope. The kids like to read in the beds if they are inside and the adults seem to like the dinette.

See if the dinette is comfy enough for you. The couch might be superfluous.

(There are only 4 of us.)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

Well, my husband has no desire to go, so it will just be my 2 kids and me. We want to tag along with some friends that have travel trailers. The pop up does have cushions that go on top of the shower/toilet area that I guess someone could sit/lounge.

5. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

The only time I see us in the camper is at night and if there was bad weather.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

What pop up is it? If you are stuck because of rain an such you can go to one bunk end and have a movie night.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

We are 2 adults and a 10 year old and have plenty of room in our Starcraft 2106. Much smaller than what you are looking at. The one you are looking at is heavy and you'll need a fairly large tow vehicle. Where are you going to camp? We camp mostly in state parks or in campgrounds with showers and toilets. Never missed a toilet in the camper.

Let’s camp likes this.
  8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

29F6D750-CE58-455C-94D5-096972846BBD.jpeg Couch ? Not unless it’s in front of a campfire

kcsa75, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I got a couch in mine and honestly I hardly use it. I find it very uncomfortable to sit at. The seat portion is very narrow and the back cushion too short and straight. It’s almost like you are required to sit-up straight to use it as a couch. I actually lounge on the bed more and so does the side kick. I often just keep it in bed mode now so my dog can use it as a bed. I’d almost wish it was cabinets. In my last camper, I didn’t have a couch and just put the dinette table in bed mode so with some extra pillows made it like a day bed. I did use that more. Then again I never ate inside so it was easier to just leave it as a daybed/couch.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  10. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

2006 Starcraft centennial 3606 and that’s a good idea! Thanks.

11. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

True!

12. Let’s camp

Let’s camp New Member

I have a mid-size SUV. It says my towing capacity is 5200 lbs. Will that work? It has the toilet which I’m not sure I will use. It doesn’t have a couch which I was wondering if I’d miss, but it looks like most don’t.

13. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

I looked up the specs of the 3606 and it is fairly heavy on the tongue. That might get your vehicle to its limit and you may need a weight distribution hitch. Where are you going to store the camper? The 3606 is fairly large.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I have a Fleetwood Utah with a GVWR of 3600 although I don’t use the water tanks. My tow vehicle can haul 5000. My vehicle is able to handle this with little problem. Now with that said, I can’t and won’t go bigger because I’m at max payload for my vehicle now. Towing in the mountains I can hear my SUV really working and she slows up on the steep sections but she has handles great. I have enough vehicle to control the popup with and without breaks although strongly suggest to make sure your breaks are working on the camper. I do not need to use a WDH but do use a sway bar to help manage sway.

15. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

We have the slide out dinette and the gaucho couch. We are a family of 5. 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog. The couch is very uncomfortable, you have to sit up very straight in it.
    It has been nice to use as an emergency bed. Especially on our last trip when our bunk end collapsed in the middle of the night. Mostly, it becomes a catch-all for crap and the dog sleeps on it at night.
    It definitely would not be a necessity for us again. We won’t ever go without a slide out dinette again, though.

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

People need to look at all the specs and not just the GVWR. From a quick google search your Utah's tongue weight is about 195lbs dry. That makes it about 200lbs lighter on the tongue compared to the starcraft dry. That is what I was pointing out. Now add propane, a battery, and all your gear to the centennial and you quickly will be over 500lbs tongue weight.