Neighbors To the North (Ontario, Canada)

Gumbias

May 25, 2008
Hey my wife and I are in the beginning stages of planning a 2 week trip to your fine Providence next summer. I myself have never been to Canada, and thing it will be great trip. What I would like to do is start getting Ideas of good places to camp, bad places to camp. things to do, things to avoid, dangerous wildlife. Even which side is better West or East side. I know it is a year away I know, but it will give us something to do in the off-season. I googled from my house to Thunder Bay and it was only 12 hours and 9 Hours to Sault Ste Marie. We are going to SD in June and it is 14.5 hours. [:D] Quite possible we could even plan to be there for your 2011 rally and get to meet some of you face to face over a LaBatts. [;)] AS always Thanks.

bflentje

Aug 24, 2009
I've had my eye on Sleeping Giant for quite a while as it looks spectacular and is right out of Thunderbay. I am not sure If I'll be able to pull it off this year but next year for sure. Don't forget passports for the entire family.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/slee.html

barb_dave

Super Active Member
Jul 22, 2007
Wisconsin
Back in the 80s I spent a week Camping on the Eastern side (Ontario) somewhere between Smith Falls and Perth.

It was absolutely beautiful. It would be nice to go to Canada again.

I wonder how things may have changed with crossing the border? I think you need a passport now.

frankvanw1

London, Ontario, Canada
Mar 18, 2009
London, Ontario
Hi Gumbias,
Thank you for your interest in the province of Ontario.
As far as camping goes; in organized campgrounds you have three choices: Provincial Parks, Conservation Areas and Private Campgrounds. (there are some others)
All have their merits.
You mention Thunder Bay and Sault Ste.Marie. These are both in Northern Ontario and this is more the wild side of the province. As far as I know it is like Northern Michigan. and the Upper Peninsula. Big cities are far and few between, lots of small towns and lots of driving as the distances can be great. Most people in Ontario live in Southern Ontario. (I am only 2 hrs. from Detroit, Mich. and 1 hr. from Port Huron,Mich.)
There are pages on the forum for Ontario and Campgrounds, worth a look. Also lots of tourism info at our Provincial tourist site.
I hope this helps. Happy Camping. Frank.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
make sure you bring your passports, you'll need those at the border. Make sure you have copies of ant prescription meds.. also if you hare bringing a four legged friend you have a copy of their noculation certificate (you need this at the border).

If you have any other questions just ask,, you get lots of info..

Oh and bring a s much beer as you can... our exported LaBatts and Molson's cost at least 2x insome cases 3x as much here...