Never felt so small before...

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by jjjandrbaker, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jjjandrbaker

jjjandrbaker New Member

I was hiking down the hill from the bath house yesterday. I looked down at my PUP and was shocked by how tiny it looked parked in the big rig area. One of my friends is constantly telling me it is "such a cute little thing". I guess I get it now!
    [​IMG]

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

OMG!! You're right! I had to really LOOK to see it! [LOL] [LOL]

Laughing WITH ya, not at ya! [;)]

But look...you're standing tall around the giants!! WOOT! [8D]

[:D]

3. gusbell

gusbell New Member

And at this stage of my life, I wouldn't trade my tiny little pu for anything else. I love the tent feeling along with the luxuries it provides compared to my tent camping days. Stand tall and proud. Lot's of places you can park and camp that those big guys can't!

4. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Lord, is that actually a campground? I've never seen such a thing.

5. freenaz

freenaz Member

[LOL] [LOL]PUPS may be tiny compared to a class A but so are the costs and they are more versatile.

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

X2........I don't think I could do that.

7. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

I remember that feelings. We were at a state park and I was in a TENT. LOL It was strange stepping out of the tent and seeing those big things. Woods behind us though, so if we positioned our chairs just right, we could pretend to be alone. Good news is that they rarely came outside, so it was very quiet. I do have to say that the one couple was older and kind of took a liking to us. They went in to town one day and brought back pizza and a couple of big balls for my kiddos. They said I reminded them of their tent camping days when they had small kids. Great couple.

8. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Our first pup was an 8' Palomino Colt and we pulled it with our Windstar van.

On one of our cross country trips to Oregon we had stopped at a KOA, I had already had our pup open and disconnected from the van and we were watching the kids swim as we unwound by the pup.

When all of a suddon, (there came with a clatter) our new neighbor for the night. A massive monster of a motor home pulling a Hummer. His motor home alone was longer than my open trailer and van combined!

We only had once glimpse of them, when they came out to hook up the water and cable. Otherwise all of the leveling, slide outs, and awning were done from inside.

I had never felt so small, but also so glad that I was not stuck in that!

9. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Funny picture. Being a PUP camper can be humbling at times. However, like everyone says on this forum, one gets a tremendous camping experience for the money. Thanks for sharing that photo.

10. CalKat

CalKat Member

The day I need a microwave, television and sound system is the day I need to be put into the home! My PUP seems to luxorious as it is. I won't use the stovetop, especially indoors, and the refridgerator seems kind of goofy. Okay, a sink inside the tent to wash up at night and in the morning is nice, but really? They can keep those bloated buses. My [2C]

11. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

My wife and I were talking about the big motorhome (which my parents are full timers in) and we agreed that they miss out on the "camping" aspect of it. Yes in a pup you have some luxuries, but you are still out in the nature. I think Ill stay with my PuP.

12. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Those are what is called "Parking Lot" campgrounds...or as the wife and I call them "Sardine" campgrounds. I smile everytime ask "What kind of gas mileage do you get with that rig", they usually say 6 - 8 MPG. Can't beat a pup, but I have been seriously thinking of going back to tent camping simply because I can access the real back country camping areas with a Jeep Wrangler.....that is if I bought another one and sold my pickup truck (2WD) and the pup, which cannot get to those places, even with my six inches of lift I now have on my camper.

You just don't know the places I would actually go if I owned a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have tents and all the other gear, just not the Jeep. I'm debt free (totally) and i DO NOT want to incur any more debt.

Now if you really want to feel small, go to the Grand Canyon, sit on the rim and look down to the bottom and see if you can see anybody walking the trails...they look like ants...now that's feeling small.

JJ

13. mark2011

mark2011 Member

I love that photo!

What gets me is to see a "big rig" pulling a tv larger than my popup tv! Talk about feeling humbled. [LOL]

14. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I hear ya.....this is our first season in the p'up and though we've only been able to go out twice due to all of the wild fires and such, we're really enjoying it. That said, there are two trails we used to take boondocking back in our tent camping days that we can't get the p'up through [V] ......honestly though, it's about the only thing I miss about tent camping and there are still plenty of good boondocking spots out here in New Mexico that don't necessarily require a 4x4, but are still relatively remote (certainly more so than this type of CG or even a NFSCG)

Doing this in October for my birthday.....can't wait.

15. papachaz

papachaz New Member

reminds me of the parking lot at Home Depot, lined off and a few trees around the edges! i want to camp in the TREES, i could care less about the paved road/parking. as for feeling small, i bet i like my gas mileage better than they like theirs, and i pull with a full size SUV! [LOL]

16. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

[​IMG]

THIS is camping hell. Sunset "CG" at Furnace Creek in Death Valley. The most horrible "CG" I've ever encountered.

18. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Let's pave the campground at a place called Furnace Creek in Death Valley ???? Man oh man !

19. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I almost never type this but......OMG. I hope you were just pulled in for the evening and on your way the next morning.

How does that song go......."if you're going through hell, keep on moving"?

20. RonB

RonB New Member

We tend to stay in National Park, State Park, municipal or BLM campgrounds. On occasion we overnight in one of the "Parking Lot" campgrounds where our view is limited to a wall of fiberglass on either side. The good thing about the NP, State and BLM campgrounds is we fit in well with other smaller units. In addition to camping within the environment we actually wanted to enjoy; the wheeled highway cruisers won't fit in many of these camping areas.

And that is why we down-sized.

RonB