Never used the water heater...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jmcelvoy, May 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

I have a 2008 Jayco 1006 PUP and we've never used the water heater. We were looking around some of the camper stores and one sells an attachable shower and we thought it'd be nice to use that for quick showers but need to have warm water. Where do I go to learn how to use the water heater? I'm assuming there is a tank for cold water and one for hot? What's the proper way to light the pilot to warm up the water? Do I need to do anything special to winterize it if we use the water heater? I probably don't know all the questions I need to ask. I've watched some Youtube videos on how to do this, but they aren't for my camper so I don't know if all the info applies or is different.

2. markzrt1

markzrt1 New Member

Does your trailer have an outside shower?

3. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

Yes, it has the outside shower thing. The shower I seen at the camper store had a piece you put on the top shell of the PUP and then it provided a maybe 2x2 shower curtain to stand in where no one could see you.

4. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Open the outside access door to the water heater. There should be a set of instructions attached to the water heater.
    Basically, you turn the knob to pilot and press down. Light pilot with a long lighter. Hold for about a minute. Release knob so it pops up. If the pilot stays lit, turn the know to On.

jmcelvoy likes this.
  5. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Open the outside access door to the water heater. There should be a set of instructions attached to the water heater.
    Basically, you turn the knob to pilot and press down. Light pilot with a long lighter. Hold knob down for about a minute. Release knob so it pops up. If the pilot stays lit, turn the knob to On.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

2008 Jayco? It is possible that it is DSI (Direct Spark Ignition). If it is, you will have a switch inside the camper with a light that comes on when you flip it.

It looks like this:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/610KDTuqYUL._SL1358_.jpg

Make sure you have power, water in the tank and the propane on. Flip the switch and it will light. Nothing to it.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    jmcelvoy likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our hot water heater takes up to two full minutes of holding a flame there for the pilot to light. We added a hybrid electric kit so we can just plug it in and not deal with the propane and pilot going out. It was very easy to install. No wiring needed as it has it's separate plug that you just plug right into the pole in a regular outlet.

jmcelvoy likes this.
  8. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

My Aliner has self-ignited water heater and fridge. Just turn the button from inside. Love it.

9. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

My issue is remembering the valve sequence in order to get it to work.

10. lkc

lkc Active Member

Also--You do NOT have a separate "tank" for cold water & hot water, so to speak. Your hot water heater "is" the hot water tank. It will draw water from your cold water holding tank into the hot water tank on demand as you use your hot water. I don't remember if you have to turn on the hot water to get the water to draw from the cold water tank or if it does it automatically. My ex used to do all the hot water stuff, so this is only what I remember. I don't have a hot water tank on my current PUP.

I do remember that you must NEVER turn on/light your hot water heater unless you have water in it! You will need to do extra steps to drain after each camping use & winterize your water heater & pump, along with the fresh water tank.

Search on here for the owners manual for your PUP and/or maybe someone can post a link here for you. Hopefully someone here will jump in & give you more detailed instructions--lots of knowledgeable people on this site!

Orchid likes this.
  11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Yep, that is critical info right there. Just like your home hot water tank, you would never run it dry. Your hot water tank will fill up automatically. Just turn on the hot water spigot to know when it's full.