New 2004 Fleetwood Tacoma Purchase Leaks on the bunk ends

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Cassiethatsme, May 28, 2019.

1. Cassiethatsme

Cassiethatsme New Member

We are new to the world of Tent Trailer ownership and I'm afraid we may have made a poor purchase. We loved the layout of the tent trailer and that it had a king bed on each end, lots of sleeping space and lounging space. The floors are solid, power works, beds slide and it cranks up fine. But we had some concerns with the canvas before buying, there's quite a bit of mold and mildew on all of the seams and some staining in some areas where we now know is because it leaks. I have been searching all around our area for someone who might be able to repair the canvas and am coming up empty handed so it seems i'm my best option. It seems to be leaking down the seams where the poles sit against the canvas... to me it looks like canvas in the areas where it's leaking but I've been told it could also be sunbrella. We first started with cleaning the entire trailer with dawn dish soap, vinegar and water, tried scrubbing the canvas but realized the staining is likely there to stay. We waited for it to dry and then sprayed the bunk ends with a Woods Canvas Silicone Sealer. We went through 2 cans and then sure enough the next time we got rain, water started trickling in again. We then sprayed it with 2 cans of ScotchGuard Heavy Duty Water Repellent, and again water is still trickling in from the seams. We tried painting one of the bunk ends with some Woods Seam Sealer, but the seam tape is peeling off in multiple areas so it's hard to really fill the seams with enough of the stuff. We haven't tested this latest concoction in the rain yet. We resorted to tarping both beds and stayed dry after that. I really don't want to have to tarp it and I worry about the resale-ability. Our plan was to use this tent trailer until we buy a trailer in a park and resell. Now will we be able to? Looking for any advice on what we might be able to do to stop the seams on the bunk ends from leaking. Ideas? HELP!

2. nonabsuomy

nonabsuomy New Member

Not sure but... make sure nothing is touching the canvas on the inside as contact may be drawing rain into the camper.

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Member

Also, sometimes if the end poles are too taut, water can leak through the seams. You don't want the canvas to be tight as a drum, just a thought.