New 2017 or 2018 Jayco?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Nani2, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I have found a new 2017 Jayco with the lifetime warranty.
    Surprisingly, it is $500 more than a similarly equipped 2018. Each one has different options that I would value about the same. I would be very happy with either one.
    Each one is a few hours away, so I would not have a service relationship with either dealer. The more expensive 2017 dealer has better reviews on yelp.
    Is the lifetime warranty worth a few hundred dollars?
    Which one would be the better purchase?

2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

First of all, what does the "Lifetime Warranty" cover? Is it exclusively to the original purchaser? I've found that most
    "lifetime anything" isn't what it seems. No way I'd pay more or the same money for a year older new unit. The moment
    you pull it off the lot, it's now a used 2017 model. So which is worth more, the used 2017 or the new 2018?

3. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

It covers, floor, roof, lifter system, frame, and bed platform.
    I might be able to negotiate it lower. The other one is a firm "no haggle" price.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Do you keep things for a long time, or are you thinking there's a possibility of using the pup to get your feet wet
    and trade up or to something different in 4-5 years? I ask that, because how long is the standard factory warranty?
    And don't forget, it's a couple hours to this dealer, and you said you won't be using them for normal service, so
    does it make sense? I always consider the year, that's what ultimately matters. Meaning, the words "new or used"
    don't go as far as the year does, so in the case of the 2017, I'd be checking NADA values on used ones and that
    would be where I'd make my purchase limit. At least close to that ballpark.

5. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Our plan is to keep about ten years till husband retires and then maybe get a class c. We would keep this for our three grown children to use with us. So if a lifetime warranty truly covers things, it would be great to have. If it's a useless piece of paper, not so much. I hear good things about Jayco customer service. Who knows how it will change under Thor.
    The warranty service is available at any Jayco dealer, so I wouldn't have to go back where I purchased.

6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Wait....if it's good at any Jayco dealer, then you should be able to get the same warranty from any Jayco dealer.
    That would mean it would have to be an option offered by Jayco, much like a new vehicle's extended warranty
    options. If it's a "GM Plan" then any Chevrolet dealer, et al, will honor it. So, now you need to see which one
    is going to be the value. When pricing the 2018 model, you need to know how much does it cost extra to include
    the Lifetime Warranty. That way, you're comparing apples-to-apples. Then you just have to decide is it worth
    "x" amount of dollars for 10 years of that type coverage. Because, the folks with the 2018, will be giving you the
    real price of the plan itself. I would suspect it's close to $1000.00 because I'd think there's that kind of difference
    between a 2017 and a 2018, but that's all supposition.

Extended warranties are never a "good idea" or a "bad idea". They're insurance policies. End of the day, only
    you can decide if it's got the value you're looking for. If a plan costs you a $1,000.00 and covers what you
    mentioned above, you just have to ask yourself, is it easier for me to pay $1,000.00 now vs. later? Or, do like
    a lot of us do and say, "I'm willing to take the risk that I won't use it". That's purely a personal choice. And, statistically speaking, the stuff it covers, is also
    covered by the initial factory warranty. Odds are, if those systems go bad they'll
    go bad before the factory warranty expires. Because they're normally manufacturing
    issues, or quality control issues. IF, the bunk end, for example, gets exposed to
    water and rot sets in, that's NOT covered by the extended warranty, but still
    has to be fixed. So read all of the fine print.

7. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

It's not an extended warranty. Through 2017 Jayco offered a lifetime warranty on those 5 things. In 2018 they went to a five year warranty. I have read on here of people buying 2017s to get the lifetime warranty rather than the 5 year now offered. Hopefully they could be better quality pre Thor.
    And, being a girl, I will say that I like the fabric print better on the 2017!!!

8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Oh, then even better. Just put your negotiating shoes on and go get that 2017. Remember, the dealer didn’t pay for that either so I’m sure he does t want 2017s sitting on the lot and eating up floor plan. Check with your bank or local credit union and they can give you prices on how they value the unit. It’s a great reference point