New AC gasket leaked during storm this weekend, need advice on securing it.

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Fasttimes7, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Over the weekend we did a trip to central FLA and got poured on. I started to see water dripping from the AC unit and knew I had a problem. I took down the face started to see that the AC unit was not near snug enough. The 4 outside bolts were very loose. Not knowing what to do I ended up tightening the 4 bolts all the way that I could and we had no more leaks. But now that I'm searching around for what the correct amount of torque is I see people suggesting to only tighten it down to around 60% of the gasket pancaking out. Is this the case? I feel because I didn't tighten it down to begin with is why it backed out from traveling. What is the correct procedure and torquing of the unit to the top?

Also, there are 4 screws that have springs on them that I'm assuming are to help with jars and bumps in the road? Two of mine are basically stripped to the point that I can't tighten them in. Does anyone know if you can order more of theses screws from Dometic or somewhere else?

2. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

I have tightened mine down until I can't tighten anymore. If you had a Coleman Mach AC unit I have replacement bolts... darnit

3. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

After reading this http://bryantrv.com/roofacleaks.html I tried to re-tighten the bolts and leave a gap of 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Problem is that with a gap close to that level the 4 bolts are pretty loose. For sure they would back loose from vibrations on the road. I ended up tightening them as much as it took to be at least snug.

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Sounds like a problem with the gasket. I hate to say it but I would replace it again. I just roll my A/C on its side, remove the old gasket, put the new one with the adhesive side stuck to the underside of the A/C and roll it back over the hole. I tightened about half way down and no issues. That's been four years ago. It's probably time to tighten them up a smidge as the gasket will compress and eventually fail over time.

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you need a new gasket. Only tighten the four bolts enough for the seal to compress and seal all the way around.

6. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Problem is when I do this the bolts are still hand loose. They'll just work themselves more loose and the ac will then allow water in. Not sure if I should try some Lock-tite?

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

New gasket
    tighten bolts till gasket is partially compressed and bulging
    the compression of the gasket holds tension against the bolts.

DO NOT use Loc-tite.